talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2017/18: Build-Up

football forum

football forum

Barring a catastrophe it's looking like Brighton and Newcastle are joining the Premier League along with one other and I thought it would be an interesting idea to question what people think of each team as they come up so that we can reflect back on it at some part of the 2017/18 season. 

Here is how things stand in the Championship as of the 15/04. How will each team fare if they were to make it to the promised land?

fd954139a4eeb04ff76059f98cfe4c86.png

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

said in the matchday thread it would be a collapse of epic proportions if Huddersfield don't make it in to the play-offs. Sounds laughable and probably unlikely, but with the way most of the teams below them are picking up points, perhaps it's not that entirely unlikely?

I'm glad Brighton are coming up. Anyone but Reading really. Absolute bores. Don't mind Fulham coming up but not sure if they're ready? They've given a lot of time to youngsters so if they did come up, they'd have to sign a lot of experiened players. Leeds as well - wouldn't mind them getting promoted after so long out. 

Huddersfield have to play Fulham next week which is like a play-off 6-pointer. 

Leeds have a relatively easy run-in. Bar Norwich, they play 3 of the sides in the bottom half of the league. Having said that, 2 of those are Burton and Wigan who could still be fighting for survival. Norwich and Wolves don't really have anything to play for bar higher positions in the league. 

Similarly, Reading have 5 left; 4 of those are in the bottom 5. They play Villa tomorrow away.

Perhaps it'll go down to the wire with Sheffield Wednesday playing Fulham on the final day of the season!

4 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You're all going to regret being glad that Brighton are going up. There fans are the most pathetic plastic people in the football league.

New ground for me that's the only reason I want them up. 

Newcastle up is decent, got a few good Geordie mates and I laughed enough when they were relegated with Rafa. 

The other I'm not fussed about. Huddersfield would be something different but I don't think any of them would have a good time in the PL from the playoffs.

Newcastle will be fine, Brighton I'm not too sure about. 

5 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You're all going to regret being glad that Brighton are going up. There fans are the most pathetic plastic people in the football league.

I have a friend who supports Spurs, but has decided to simultaneously support Brighton  when they started becoming decent. Apparently he has 'relatives in Brighton'. He gets bombarded with comments about it from me, most tinpot thing I've ever heard.

As for playoffs, pretty much any of those teams would be welcome additions. Either deserve to be back in the Prem, or would be a new face.

45 minutes ago, Mazzari said:

I have a friend who supports Spurs, but has decided to simultaneously support Brighton  when they started becoming decent. Apparently he has 'relatives in Brighton'. He gets bombarded with comments about it from me, most tinpot thing I've ever heard.

As for playoffs, pretty much any of those teams would be welcome additions. Either deserve to be back in the Prem, or would be a new face.

There's plenty of tossers that have started going to games once they moved to The Amex and Gus Poyet made them sexy after pledging allegiance to teams like Liverpool and Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for the fans that went to The Withdean and had to endure crap like Mark McCammon, and since we've been established ourselves here our fan base seems to be attracting a new breed of flare throwing coach graffiting moron, but I can see there fan base coming somewhat of an irritation whilst they're here.

1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

There's plenty of tossers that have started going to games once they moved to The Amex and Gus Poyet made them sexy after pledging allegiance to teams like Liverpool and Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for the fans that went to The Withdean and had to endure crap like Mark McCammon, and since we've been established ourselves here our fan base seems to be attracting a new breed of flare throwing coach graffiting moron, but I can see there fan base coming somewhat of an irritation whilst they're here.

Definitely. Fairweather fans will always wear off though, if they establish themselves in the Prem, they'll grow less irritating.

Historically the team that wins the league generally does the worst, or at least they used to.

Brighton going up can only be good for the Premier League, new team up, decent sized stadium, fairly big area in general. Plus it'll make Crystal Palace interesting for a change.

Fulham have crept ahead of Leeds into 6th, I'm not too bothered if they go up, they're built to be in the Prem or yoyoing up and down so it's not a surprise they could be up there. Plus being in Australia means I can't go to any Bees/Fulham games anyway. Most teams in the league like having Fulham because of the stadium but outside of that they don't offer anything. They peaked under Hodgson and whether they'll get to a height like that again who knows but there are better clubs from a neutrals perspective to go up than Fulham, like Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday simply because they've both been shit for years and are "big" clubs.

I'd love to see Fulham and Leeds both in the Prem. I think Leeds would add a lot considering their history. For that, I would also put Forest in that list even though they are on the wrong side of the table. 

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I'd like to see Forest up given their history but that's a million miles off at the moment.

Leeds would be a welcome addition to the top flight for similar reasons but they're cutting it fine now.

I've said it a million times but it's anyone but Reading for me.

It will be Reading. That's how life works.

Having been to Reading this season it's a soulless, passionless, rugby club in comparison to the majority of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Pickford is going to be an interesting one because he isnt being properly scrutinised nationally due to being a young Englishman with a shit defence in front of him. When he joins a decent side then the spotlight will be on him for any goal conceded. Right now when he's poor for a goal no one nationally notices, locally it is noticed but there is such big support for the lad and rightly so that it isn't made into a big deal. A year in the Championship might help make him a finished article. 

• Administrator

Definitely Pickford. I'd take him as a replacement is Kasper leaves. 

I think he'll need to stay in the top flight to help his England chances. He's too good for the Championship anyway. 

• Subscriber

Pickford is definitely a shout although that's a position we're strong in already.

Defoe I think would want regular games and I don't see us offering that to him because I think Vardy's a stronger option now. I'd definitely take Defoe as someone to bring on, gives you that same fear factor from the bench that Kevin Phillips used to do towards the end of his career, but like I say I don't think he'd take a place on our bench, he will want starts. Someone suggested him going to Bournemouth and I could see that actually.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Definitely Pickford. I'd take him as a replacement is Kasper leaves. 

I think he'll need to stay in the top flight to help his England chances. He's too good for the Championship anyway. 

I disagree with the latter. The standard of goalkeeping in the Championship is pretty much at the same standard as the Prem. I'm in agreement with Harvey, a year in the Championship playing every week and continuing to impress will surely progress his career onwards much more than sitting on the bench behind an established PL keeper.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StefBWFC said:

I disagree with the latter. The standard of goalkeeping in the Championship is pretty much at the same standard as the Prem. I'm in agreement with Harvey, a year in the Championship playing every week and continuing to impress will surely progress his career onwards much more than sitting on the bench behind an established PL keeper.

I think he could go to a premier league side and be a regular though. He's better than some keepers in the division at the moment. 

1 hour ago, StefBWFC said:

Stockdale is evidence of this. He has eventually shone through but he's still at the same standard as he was five years ago.

I'd argue Wayne Hennesey would have a far worse reputation if we hadn't taken him on too.

Archived