talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2017/18: Build-Up

football forum

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming Sturridge is gone for us next season. That leaves our strikeforce as Firmino in his false nine, defending from the front role... or Origi and Ings as our senior out and out strikers. Now assuming we don't splash the cash on a someone who can lead the line for us for years, which would be ideal... I think Defoe could fight those 3 for a starting spot. It's nowhere near ideal, and usually counting on a proven player but someone who's never made the next step up they fail miserably. But his biggest competition would be Origi, who I rate but he's nowhere near as develped. Him or Firmino, who's honestly better in midfield (though not better than Lallana or Mane). But that would allow us to spend big on the major problem areas, a CB, holding midfielder, and LB. Thrifty moves like that seldom work out for us though unless the player's had at least some experience competing for where we want to be (Milner, Gary Mac, and to a lesser extent Kolo)... so it's not ideal. But I do think we should prioritise the areas we've struggled for years in.

• Subscriber

If Newcastle keep Rafa and back him then I think they'll survive comfortably. Unconvincing at times this year but it is a different kettle of fish in the top flight, although I wouldn't rule them out entirely.

Brighton is a complete 50/50 for me. Again, largely depends on recruitment. The point about their ageing squad is quite big as well.

Out of the four play-off teams I want Fulham, Huddersfield, Sheff Weds and Reading in that order. Fulham purely because I've never been there and it's rare I get a new ground nowadays (domestically). Huddersfield is a decent away day and we have a very good record there, Sheff Weds is another good away day but their fans are as irritating as they come on social media, Reading is just the most boring fixture imaginable.

I'm definitely having money on Reading. Can see it a mile off.

• Subscriber
On 4/18/2017 at 4:11 AM, Danny said:

Historically the team that wins the league generally does the worst, or at least they used to.

Brighton going up can only be good for the Premier League, new team up, decent sized stadium, fairly big area in general. Plus it'll make Crystal Palace interesting for a change.

Fulham have crept ahead of Leeds into 6th, I'm not too bothered if they go up, they're built to be in the Prem or yoyoing up and down so it's not a surprise they could be up there. Plus being in Australia means I can't go to any Bees/Fulham games anyway. Most teams in the league like having Fulham because of the stadium but outside of that they don't offer anything. They peaked under Hodgson and whether they'll get to a height like that again who knows but there are better clubs from a neutrals perspective to go up than Fulham, like Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday simply because they've both been shit for years and are "big" clubs.

A league winner hasn't gone down since Cardiff.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fair play, I feel like it used to be common though. Could be wrong

I think there are a few things like this that get said based on something happening a couple of times. Another was 6th place always winning the play-offs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has that happened since Blackpool in 2010?

Another is "always a team who flies up the table and goes up" which, again, who has done that? Fulham possibly but they were always just outside. It's based on when Palace did it all those years ago. Suppose Barnsley did it in League One last year, what they did was quite remarkable.

Brighton have recruited very well over the last couple of years but obviously it's much harder to get the right players in in the Premier League, I don't think they'll go overboard and start wasting money and paying over the odds but they certainly do need to bring players in.

The truth is for most of the season any of the bottom 8 of the Premier League every year are deserving of relegation. 

All of the newly promoted sides will be in that bottom 8. I don't think it's easy to tell who would be at the bottom of it.

As it stands there will be no easy predictions like Sunderland were.

The bottom twelve is practically a league in itself and often it's strange decisions off the field that determine who go down. Such as Sunderland not injecting money to spend on players in January, Swanseas owners not taking advantage of transfer opportunities in the summer and appointing Bob Bradley, and Hulls lack of interest in investing in the squad. Burnley and Bournemouth haven't had to do anything dramatic really to survive. If both Brighton and Newcastle stick with what has worked this season and invest in a couple of players that would improve the starting eleven they both stand a good chance of survival.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

The bottom twelve is practically a league in itself and often it's strange decisions off the field that determine who go down. Such as Sunderland not injecting money to spend on players in January, Swanseas owners not taking advantage of transfer opportunities in the summer and appointing Bob Bradley, and Hulls lack of interest in investing in the squad. Burnley and Bournemouth haven't had to do anything dramatic really to survive. If both Brighton and Newcastle stick with what has worked this season and invest in a couple of players that would improve the starting eleven they both stand a good chance of survival.

That's a fair point really.

I think the league outside of the top 7 has been pretty woeful this season to be honest.

• Administrator

Musa, Ulloa, Wasilewski can all go. 

Musa has been useless. Apart from a cameo role against Everton in the cup, he's done square root of fuck all when called upon.

Ulloa just isn't good enough for this league. Blows cold too often. Poor touch for a target man and isn't that great in aerial battles. You could get a small centre back winning headers against him in the air which is embarrassing sometimes.

Wasilewski can go from a playing role but I'd still keep him at the club. He's a good influence on other players at the club and whether it's out of fear because of how much of a tank he is or not, he's respected by other players and looked up to as a role model. 

I'd also sell Zieler if we're adamant Kasper is staying. Schmeichel was injured in November/December I think. Zieler came in and was very underwhelming. I expected much more.

We'll be getting Matty James and Tom Lawrence back from Barnsley and Ipswich respectively from their loans. They've both impressed hugely there. James went to Barnsley for match fitness after a year out through injury. Lawrence has scored plenty for Ipswich from an attacking midfield position so maybe he could do a job. I'd like to see him in some way next season. 

Kapustka - I'd love to see him more but I don't think he's adapted to life in England. Granted he is young but he's clearly not been trusted by Ranieri or even Shakespeare as we see so little of him. 

Simpson, Fuchs, Chilwell, Huth, Benalouane I think will all stay. I've got a feeling Morgan may go. He's been great for us but with his recent injury ruling him out, I don't think he'll come back as strong as he has been. I definitely would like to see us sign a couple of younger centre-backs. We can't rely on the aged and experienced defence we currently have. 

Midfield-wise, in addition to the loanees returning, I'd keep them all if possible. Drinkwater and Mahrez will be speculated to move away no doubt, the latter moreso. Definitely keep Gray and Albrighton. King, Ndidi and Amartey can all do a decent enough job for me in the central midfield position. Especially Ndidi. He's hit the ground running here and already has a passion for playing for us. Already got a few goals too. The winger position I would like to see us improve though.

Okazaki, Vardy & Slimani can stay. Islam Slimani gives us an alternative way of playing if we're comfortable in the game but also gives us some aerial presence when necessary. For someone we paid so much for though I'm not too sure he's been value for money. Got us a couple of important goals this season but I wonder if he'll seek a move away to play for a club in Europe. Again, it's a position I'd like to see us improve because we can't always rely on Vardy and Okazaki to deliver the goods, especially if teams block us from playing in such a way we're used to. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.33.58 AM.png

Jack Butland- Stay obviously and hope he gets better because on his day he's England's Best, however with so many injuries who knows if he'll be the same?

Phil Bardsley- honestly he can go I was never a fan of the guy since day one.

Erik Pieters- Stay, unlike Bardsley he has some actual talent behind him and isn't just pacey. Also I know he could totally slot in at CB if necessary

Joe Allen- Stay, No allen no party

Marc Muniesa- Stay, however I think it'll be hard to retain him he wants constant footy which makes sense but we haven't been giving it to him because Shawcross keep playing.

Glenn Whelan- Stay, he's still got a motor on him that works. However I don't think he should be a no question starting 11 player at all.

Stephan Ireland- He can stay, almost forgot he was even one of ours...

Glen Johnson- Stay, he's like Bardsley but with some skill to back it up

Saido Berahino- Fuck off, absolutely shit pickup the second we got him and I knew it, literally have no interest in him being at the club. Can't hit the back of the net with an open sitter and no gk.

Marko Arnautovic- He's literally our best player if he didn't stay I'd be shattered.

Wilfried Bony- He's gonna go, he hasn't had the chance to even remotely prove himself that much but i don't know why we brought him in to begin with if Hughes didn't want to play him?

Brahim Affelay- Stay, if he can stay healthy he's still got enough technical skills without a doubt

Bruno Martins Indi- Stay, please stay. You're great.

Charlie Adam- Stay, I know he takes alot of shit but the guy puts in quality shifts I don't care what anyone says. Always thought he was decent when he was on Blackpool and Liverpool as well.

Ryan Shawcross- Stay if he wants or he can go if he wants, I'm sorry he's put in some great seasons with us but at the same time he's not the player he used to be honestly. I don't think he should be no question starting 11 anymore or the captain.

Mame Biram Diouf- Stay, he's the only actually decent striker he have and yet we don't even play him in a striker role...

Jon Walters- Oh super jonny walters.... you're over the hill you may leave, and you should while you still have your dignity.

Geoff Cameron- Stay, He's not a pretty defender or player but you can always count on a decent outing from him, never spectacular or great but always decent.

Gianelli Imbula- Another player we brought in that was a complete waste again. Probably thought we'd be getting an N'Zonzi or even better but he isn't even half the player N'Zonzi is fucking rubbish for his price tag.

Xherdan Shaqiri- I like him he's a good player, but I don't think he wants to be here. However his price tag is still better than that of Imbula or Berahino. He may stay, if Bojan doesn't come back. If not cash in on him, other clubs will want him still.

Shay Given- Retire please.

Peter Crouch- You may also retire but I know you're sticking around for another season, which means another 6-8 goals from him.

Jakob Haugaard- You aren' good please leave.

Ramadan Sohbi- I have no idea if he's good or not, he shows flashes but that it. Keep him around he may turn out to be special.

Lee Grant- God Please stay, you're the only other person on this squad that knows how to play gk

Daniel Bachman- Bye Felicia

Joselu- You should come back you're quality and you proved your quality but for some reason we'd rather Berahino and SJW over you?

Phillip Wolscheid- Stay in Germany please.... You're no Huth

Bojan- BABY COME BACK!!!! YOU CAN BLAME IT ALL ON ME!!!! I WAS WRONG AND I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!

1 Asimir Begovic - Sell; he is too talented to bench.

3 Marcos Alonso - Keep but the club probably shouldn't rely on him as the starting LB.

4 Cesc Fabregas - He is the only player that can do what he does. Needs to stay.

5 Kurt Zouma - Has incredible potential but looks like a ghost of himself after the leg break. Keep.

6 Nathan Ake - Also has loads of potential, he needs to be in the starting rotation otherwise sell.

7 Ngolo Kante - lol

10 Eden Hazard - If his head gets turned by Real then flog him off, otherwise he needs to stay.

11 Pedro - Ridiculously good under Conte, a new man. Stay.

13 Thibaut Courtois - Same with Hazard, if he throws a wobbly flog the bastard.

14 Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Needs to man up and prove he deserves to start otherwise sell him.

15 Victor Moses - Stay, an incredibly dynamic player that is reborn in his new position.

16 Kenedy - Sell. He shows ridiculous raw pace and energy but he is like a puppy.

19 Diego Costa - Best striker in Chelsea have had since 2010 but he is a mongloid. Sell.

21 Nemanja Matic - Probably wants to ethnically cleanse Begovic and that's probably the reason he has played like trash the last two seasons. Sell.

22 Wilian - The player Kenedy would be if he was focused and mature. Keep.

23 Michy Batshuayi - If Conte wants to play a 4-4-2 or the like, keep him as he is a great second-striker. Otherwise sell.

24 - Gary Cahill - Definitely keep. He gets a lot of stick from the window-lickers but he is a very solid CB.

26 John Terry - Retiring, no?

28 Cesar Azpilicueta - Best defender the club have. Probably a future captain, he can do everything.

29 Nathaniel Chalobah - Should have broken into the team by now. Bad loans are ruining his career.

30 David Luiz - A magician in the back three, a donkey in the back four. Keep.

34 Ola Aina - Who? Keep, I guess.

35 Charly Musonda - Sell. The club is wasting his and their time.

37 Eduardo - Keep, I guess. I can't complain about a third choice GK.

31 Dominic Solanke - Keep if he isn't being a little bitch about his contract. Sell otherwise.

• Subscriber

Right...

Goalkeepers

Joel Robles has shown some good form this season and although he has been dropped after some howlers, he looks a much better option than Stekelenburg. Next season I'd hope to see Pickford or another decent signing come in as number one with Joel as competition. Stekelenburg can go.

Next season's goalkeepers: First choice: Jordan Pickford/Other New Signing. Second Choice: Joel Robles

Defenders

Seamus Coleman will still be out come the start of the season, I'm quite happy to stick with Holgate at right back until then and as long as Coleman comes back the same player he was, I'm alright with our options in this position with Kenny pushing to break into the first team squad too. Leighton Baines isn't the stand out left back he used to be but has still been solid this season. I'm more than happy for us to stick with him but we need a good back up option for this position, preferably one who can be relied on to take over from Baines in the long run. In central defence, we need the most investment. I'd keep Funes Mori as a third choice centre back, and either Jagielka or Williams as fourth choice but wouldn't bat an eye lid if we let both of them go. Holgate can cover that position too anyway. Pennington will turn 23 not far into next season and for me hasn't shown that he's developed enough to warrant more opportunities, I'd let him go.

Next season's right backs: First choice: Seamus Coleman. Second Choice: Mason Holgate,

Next season's centre backs (1): First choice: Michael Keane/Other New Signing. Second Choice: Mason Holgate/Other New Signing/Under 23s Player

Next season's centre backs (2): First choice: New Signing. Second Choice: Ramiro Funes Mori.

Next season's left backs: First choice: Leighton Baines. Second Choice: New Signing.

Midfielders

This is probably the strongest area of our squad. With Schneiderlin, Gueye, Davies, Besic if he can stay fit, Barry a decent back up option and Barkley capable of dropping back in here, we have plenty of options. I'm expecting McCarthy to leave anyway and I won't be too upset about that as between injuries and various slumps in form, he's had only a handful of good games in the last three seasons. We probably do need a good creative central player though as Davies is a great prospect but it's too early for him to be playing 30+ games next season.

Next season's central midfielders (1): First Choice: Morgan Schneiderlin. Second Choice: Gareth Barry.

Next season's central midfielders (2): First Choice: Idrissa Gueye. Second Choice: Mo Besic.

Next season's central midfielders (3): First Choice: Gylfi Sigurdsson/Other New Signing. Second Choice: Tom Davies

Wingers

We have a number of players that can play wide/off the striker in a front three - Barkley, Bolasie, Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Lennon depending on what happens with him (but probably not). On one hand, we have some prospects here that are capable of quality performances. On the other hand, none of them have shown a modicum of consistency with the exception of Barkley. I'm going to assume that Lennon goes and Barkley stays. I'd let Mirallas move on to be honest, reckon we'd get a decent fee, and I don't think Koeman fancies Deulofeu so let's assume both of these are going too. We could arguably accept Barkley and Bolasie as first choice with Lookman as a backup but I'd rather see us bring in an out and out winger with a proven track record rather than rely on streaky players to turn up often enough. Use Calvert-Lewin as cover for all of the front three or find him a good loan in the Championship.

Next season's wingers/forwards (1): First Choice: Ross Barkley. Second Choice: Ademola Lookman.

Next season's wingers/forwards (2): First Choice: New Signing. Second Choice: Yannick Bolasie.

Forwards

My assumption here is that Lukaku leaves and we spend the biggest chunk of the money on a new striker which will be our main summer signing and our new first choice. We won't resign Valencia, Niasse will go and hopefully Kone will too. I've mentioned Calvert-Lewin but I wouldn't put him in as first or second choice here. Not sure who our key targets our to replace Lukaku whereas Keane, Pickford and Sigurdsson who I've mentioned as potential new signings and other positions have been heavily linked already. Wouldn't say no to Defoe as an impact sub.

Next season's striker: First Choice: Romelu Lukaku/New Signing. Second Choice: Jermain Defoe/Other New Signing.

Big summer ahead for us.

• Administrator

Newcastle.

Brighton.

One of Huddersfield, Reading, Fulham, Sheff Weds (will be updated after play-offs). 

I can see Newcastle staying up. Lots of quality good enough the Premier League and no doubt will strengthen anyway.

Brighton I think will be a lot like Bournemouth last season. Teams won't like going to play at Brighton and the style of football they play can be quite rewarding. Their squad will need improving a fair bit but Hughton can be shrewd and I don't think they are suffering financially. 

I hope Newcastle & Brighton survive although both need a bit of work over the summer. Two good managers in charge so expect good signings to be made.

You can see by the league table how far ahead the above two are, Huddersfield's style of play will get picked off in the PL, Reading are shite, Wednesday would have a fighting chance & Fulham let in too many goals. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the vast majority of ours leave. 

Both keepers are crap. Mori, Williams, Jagielka crap but I would keep Jagielka around for the younger ones. Keep Baines and Coleman. 

Aside from Davies, Gueye and Schniederlin the rest of the midfield can go. Barry, McCarthy, Besic aren't good enough/liability. 

We don't have a good winger at the club, time for us to give up in thinking Mirallas will have a good season. Bolasie lucky he's only just came and injured cos I'd boot him out as well. 

Must keep Barkley and Lukaku. 

• Subscriber

Schmeichel - STAYS. Keep at all costs. He has become one of the best goalkeepers in the league.

Chilwell - STAYS. I do think we're probably going to have to give him a bit more football next year otherwise we risk losing him, but he's a bright talent and the best to come through here in a while.

Drinkwater - STAYS. Drinkwater seems to be very hit and miss. Excellent last season and earlier this season, the weak link since about November. Seriously though he's a good player and we should hold on.

Morgan - STAYS. He stays, but I'd probably look to replace him as a starter. We need younger legs.

Huth - STAYS. Similar to Morgan although I think I'd drop Morgan before I'd drop Huth.

Musa - GOES. He's shown the odd positive glimpse, notably in the friendly against Barca and the cup game at Everton. Other than that though, he's been largely a shoddy waste of sixteen million and I think it's best for all parties he goes.

James - UNDECIDED. I'm edging towards stays, but I thought he was steady at best beforehand and he's not kicked a ball at this level in two years. Hopeful with the reports coming from Barnsley though who are saying he's their best player. I'd love to see him come back and perform though as he's always struck me as a really nice bloke.

Vardy - STAYS. Absolutely key to the way we play. He sets the example from the front. I think in a well functioning Leicester side he could hit 20 again.

King - STAYS. Stays, but strictly as back-up.

Albrighton - STAYS. Unsung hero of recent weeks. He's been one of our best players under Shakespeare.

Hamer - GOES. Don't see the point really. He's never getting near our team again.

Amartey - STAYS. Possibly loaned out dependent on who comes on. I'm not entirely sold on him yet though but can forgive the fact he's only young. Doesn't make for good reading for him if you pit him against Ndidi though.

Kapustka - GOES. I don't think he's ever going to make it here and I think it's a shame because he's a talent. I think it's Kramaric all over again. He will succeed elsewhere.

Simpson - STAYS. Another unsung hero. Simpson is a far more consistent defender than he ever gets credit for.

Wague - GOES. Totally pointless signing.

Slimani - UNDECIDED. I'm edging towards stays though. I thought he had a great cameo off the bench yesterday and looked like he's really starting to fit into how we play. But if China come in with another offer that would see us profit on the ridiculous fee we paid for him then it would be hard to say no.

Okazaki - STAYS. But I'd replace him from the XI. He's the strangest player I've ever seen. The bloke is utter anti-football. He's a pretty shoddy forward quality wise yet he's great at disrupting the opposition. Really though his goals and assists tally per minute for an attacking player is diabolical and I think we need to upgrade.

Zieler - GOES. I think he's suitable for back-up but the whispers are he wants out, in which case let him go and get a replacement in.

Gray - STAYS. But we have to make sure it's worth it for both parties. He's a talented kid who wants to be playing.

Ulloa - GOES. I think it's time to let him go. He's not done badly here at all but I think we need better really.

Mendy - GOES. Injury prone and hasn't looked a fit for us at all sadly. Think he'd do better elsewhere.

Ndidi - STAYS. This bloke's got a big future in the game in my eyes. Technically very good and physically dominant too. Looks a genuine goal threat from midfield too. I think he could be a target for bigger clubs next summer.

Mahrez - GOES. I'm not sure his heart's in it here anymore. I still think he's a lovely talent but I'm no longer convinced we're the club that's going to bring that out.

Wasilewski - GOES. Out of his depth in this league now.

Fuchs - STAYS. He's been very good lately. One of the better left backs in the league.

Benalouane - STAYS. He's really surprised me actually. I thought he was finished here but he's actually come in and done well. A lot more composed on the ball than our other centre halves. He's become a cult hero. I thought we needed two centre halves but his surprise emergence means we may only need the one.

Barnes - STAYS. I'd look to loan him out to a Championship high flyer like Huddersfield or Fulham next year. A place he'll develop his game. He's been absolutely raved about on loan at MK Dons.

Lawrence - UNDECIDED. I cannot make my mind up. Scores unbelievable goals for Ipswich but not sure about his all-round game.

Archived