talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

I think Manchester City are still the most wonderful side to watch when at full pelt, but that tends to be against teams who collapse like Villa. There is a vulnerability about them throughout the team, they don't seem to cut through the more obdurate teams as well as they used to. Sure it will be remedied by next season, and in Europe only need to be on it for 7 more nights and the trophy is theirs.

9 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think Manchester City are still the most wonderful side to watch when at full pelt, but that tends to be against teams who collapse like Villa. There is a vulnerability about them throughout the team, they don't seem to cut through the more obdurate teams as well as they used to. Sure it will be remedied by next season, and in Europe only need to be on it for 7 more nights and the trophy is theirs.

Not sure about the trophy being theirs? Klopp proper has Pep's number. His record against him is great. I also think City's defence isnt good enough against the best teams in Europe whereas ours is. 

In a nutshell... I think we have a better chance of retaining the CL than City have of winning it.

17 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not sure about the trophy being theirs? Klopp proper has Pep's number. His record against him is great. I also think City's defence isnt good enough against the best teams in Europe whereas ours is. 

In a nutshell... I think we have a better chance of retaining the CL than City have of winning it.

Yeah and let's not forget Klopp hasn't lost a two legged tie in Europe as Liverpool manager yet.

"and in Europe only need to be on it for 7 more nights and the trophy is theirs."

'Only' 7 more nights. That's pretty difficult to do against some of the top sides in Europe

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

'Only' 7 more nights. That's pretty difficult to do against some of the top sides in Europe

Yeah I thought that was the funniest bit. I'd worry about the other 5 nights in Europe after the first 2 against Real Madrid, personally. It's not like Real Madrid have a history of being shite in the competition, and they've just got Zidane back this season - a man who's won the fucking thing 3 times in a row.

And even if they do get passed Madrid, which is for sure possible because City have a great side... but I don't think it'll be easy because it's Real Madrid in Europe, I wouldn't worry about the matches that come after the quarter final until after those 2 legs of the quarter final are over.

It's the Champions League, I don't think there's an easy path to the final or winning it. They're some of the strongest sides in Europe left remaining, and even the sides that are having a hard time domestically usually turn up and try to give their all in the CL. And upsets happen all the time in the tournament.

28 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If Manchester City go out to Real Madrid then Guardiola has really let himself down, they are a much better side.

Stranger things have happened.

If being a much better side was all that mattered in CL football, 2005 would have gone a lot differently. We would have been knocked out by Juventus. Or Chelsea. Or Milan would have beaten us in the final. Sides with quality coaches and quality players - which I'd say most CL sides that got out of the group stages are (if not all of them tbh).

And this is Real Madrid. Have you seen how many goals they've conceded in their league this year? 13 fucking goals, it's an incredible defensive record. And Madrid with Zidane have a pretty remarkable record in knockout competitions, especially in the CL - winning it 3 times back to back.

Tbh, I fully expect Real Madrid to go through.

The thing is, can Pep overcome Klopp?

Currently domestically I'd say no. In Europe I'd say no. Without sounding over confident I'd honestly say that for City to win the CL they will have to beat us. 

I'm not sure they can tbh.

Saying that, we could go out first knockout round because that's football.

20 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

The thing is, can Pep overcome Klopp?

Currently domestically I'd say no. In Europe I'd say no. Without sounding over confident I'd honestly say that for City to win the CL they will have to beat us. 

I'm not sure they can tbh.

Saying that, we could go out first knockout round because that's football.

I think we might be the best side in the world, but yeah I think it’s possible any of the sides left in the CL can beat us or anyone else in the CL out over two legs.

It’s the CL ffs we’ve seen favourites fail all the time, basically every year. I don’t even think league form has anything to do with how you do in the CL. It’s a mixture of the quality of the sides, the tactics of the manager; and the mentalities of the players.

Idk how anyone could write off Real Madrid, genuine European royalty, when they’ve also got a manager that’s won the tournament 3 years in a row back at the helm.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I’m not writing them off, it is a cup tie so anything can happen but sorry Manchester City have a fat superior side and squad. They should be doing it 

Their fans don't want it though. Say what you want about the 'Anfield myth' or whatever and history in the competition but it counts. It's why these oil clubs can't win it

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Their fans don't want it though. Say what you want about the 'Anfield myth' or whatever and history in the competition but it counts. It's why these oil clubs can't win it

C’mon mate, it’s the players on the pitch and only them. Have you not wanted the league for the past 30 years? 

I think Europe does offer the chance of the ‘big night’ atmosphere that the league very rarely does. Real Madrid are not renowned for atmosphere though, unless it’s a toxic one. They come to the ground to be pleased. Anything else and the whistles are out. Manchester City should be winning with the team they have.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I’m not writing them off, it is a cup tie so anything can happen but sorry Manchester City have a fat superior side and squad. They should be doing it 

That then indicates that Pep is failing miserably with a far superior squad than Klopp has which equals .... Klopp shits on Pep.

11 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

C’mon mate, it’s the players on the pitch and only them. Have you not wanted the league for the past 30 years? 

Winning the league is normally done by being consistent against the poorer sides in the league. There's not always that one defining tie where the crowd can play their part as well as the players.

Ask Liverpool players why they're inspired on a European night or why Chelsea or City players shit themselves at Anfield despite being way ahead of Liverpool sides in the league.

City's fans just don't inspire them at home either.

There's always an aura around these sides that are historically successful in Europe. You can't buy that, as City and PSG have found out. 

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

@Happy Blue whats your thoughts on this, would you still love your Pep's if he could not bring you Champions League glory?  :D

Quote.thumb.png.fed6a0708157608aa94652068ce6cd36.png

Pep Guardiola: My Manchester City reign will be a failure if we do not win the Champions League

Spanish manager admits his time at the club will be judged by success in Europe – and insists he has no concerns about out-of-touch attacker Sterling.

Pep Guardiola has admitted that he will be regarded as a failure at Manchester City if he does not win the Champions League.

Guardiola has won five major trophies since taking charge at the Etihad Stadium in 2016, including two Premier League titles.

As yet, however, they have been unable to transfer their domestic dominance onto the European stage.

City have not yet progressed beyond the quarter-finals under Guardiola, getting knocked out by Monaco, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur in the Spaniard's last three campaigns.

Guardiola won the competition twice at Barcelona but could not repeat that at Bayern Munich. His tenure at the German club was consequently considered a disappointment in some quarters, despite him winning three successive Bundesliga crowns.

FULL REPORT

Just to set this up with the context that in the last two seasons City sets 2 new points records in the league, won every domestic competition going last year and are still 2nd in the league....it is pretty amazing that City have the likes of Otamendi, Stones, Angelino and Jesus and they could be off in the Summer and will require replacements.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Just to set this up with the context that in the last two seasons City sets 2 new points records in the league, won every domestic competition going last year and are still 2nd in the league....it is pretty amazing that City have the likes of Otamendi, Stones, Angelino and Jesus and they could be off in the Summer and will require replacements.

Take a look at their net spend and it's hardly surprising. Their bench is more expensive than the majority of club's starting XI. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Take a look at their net spend and it's hardly surprising. Their bench is more expensive than the majority of club's starting XI. 

I guess with more money than you need complacency can creep in...but that's a lot of complacency.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

I guess with more money than you need complacency can creep in...but that's a lot of complacency.

I mentioned in the Leicester Chelsea match day thread that this is the weakest the premier league has been if 3rd and 4th produce that quality. 

Its Liverpool & City then the rest. 

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I mentioned in the Leicester Chelsea match day thread that this is the weakest the premier league has been if 3rd and 4th produce that quality. 

Its Liverpool & City then the rest. 

Not sure it's the weakest...the year Leicester won it the competition was atrocious.

• Administrator

Pep to go at the end of the season? 

If he wins the CL, he's won it all in England. May lose motivation?

If he loses out on the CL, it's the 1 thing he cherishes so can he hold out another season trying to win it despite spending huge amounts up to now?

Just now, Stan said:

Pep to go at the end of the season? 

If he wins the CL, he's won it all in England. May lose motivation?

If he loses out on the CL, it's the 1 thing he cherishes so can he hold out another season trying to win it despite spending huge amounts up to now?

Pretty sure he’s said he’ll stay till end of his contract, at least. Beyond that, I’m not sure. He seems to want a change of scenery frequently, I can see Italy calling at some point. I’d like to see him go to Roma, he’s played there and would be interesting to see him at a club like that. Certainly rather than Juventus.

• Administrator
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

He seems to want a change of scenery frequently,

I agree - partly the reason to ask the question. Been at City 4 years now? 4 years and no CL may 'inspire' him to move on and try his luck elsewhere.

I think Roma is too small for him.