talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pep to go at the end of the season? 

If he wins the CL, he's won it all in England. May lose motivation?

If he loses out on the CL, it's the 1 thing he cherishes so can he hold out another season trying to win it despite spending huge amounts up to now?

Pep talking about his stint being viewed as a failure is just him creating headlines about him rather than his team's performance....he's mentioned many times he understands peoples view of this (very unrealistic view...) and how it doesn't bother him. I don't think he'd stay for the Champions League if he's unhappy or feels he's at the end of the road at City, he didn't do it for Bayern.

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't remember people talking about it being a weak league when City were walking it two years ago

It was obvious this card would be pulled as soon as we win it. Utd used to walk it most seasons but they were absolutely amazeballs... we walk it and it's because the league is piss poor. 

Fuck'em mate, if the league is piss poor it's because their clubs are fucking piss poor. 

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It was obvious this card would be pulled as soon as we win it. Utd used to walk it most seasons but they were absolutely amazeballs... we walk it and it's because the league is piss poor. 

Fuck'em mate, if the league is piss poor it's because their clubs are fucking piss poor. 

Actually, we’re repeatedly told United must have been shit because you’ve had more points the last 2 seasons.

No denying you’ll have been the best team to have won it though. The points don’t lie. Cementing the legacy means winning it again though, and that’s the hard part.

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Actually, we’re repeatedly told United must have been shit because you’ve had more points the last 2 seasons.

No denying you’ll have been the best team to have won it though. The points don’t lie. Cementing the legacy means winning it again though, and that’s the hard part.

I don't think anyone has said the United sides must have been shit though have they? 

What's undeniable is that Liverpool and City have pushed each other more than any other rivalry the last two years to reach the points totals they've got/will get.

Going back to City in 17/18 though, there was never any mention of it being a weak league from other fans when they basically had it won in January or February, only that they were the best side the league has seen. It's different now though. That's not aimed at you yourself but there's been loads of that over the last few weeks. I agree that winning the league (or European Cup) multiple times cements the legacy of a great team though

31 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Cant be that hard, Utd retained it with 78 points which must have meant the league was shite :ph34r:

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think anyone has said the United sides must have been shit though have they? 

What's undeniable is that Liverpool and City have pushed each other more than any other rivalry the last two years to reach the points totals they've got/will get.

Going back to City in 17/18 though, there was never any mention of it being a weak league from other fans when they basically had it won in January or February, only that they were the best side the league has seen. It's different now though. That's not aimed at you yourself but there's been loads of that over the last few weeks. I agree that winning the league (or European Cup) multiple times cements the legacy of a great team though

I think there have been periods in the past where the dominant team can have an off year and still win the title. 

But having that second team of comparable quality and driving a competitive spirit between the sides makes it difficult.

If Liverpool weren't so far in front I think city wouldn't be dropping so many points... They lack belief and it's showing in results at times.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

If he loses out on the CL, it's the 1 thing he cherishes so can he hold out another season trying to win it despite spending huge amounts up to now?

Honestly can't see how they could win the Champions league when they seem so mentally weak, and defensively vulnerable.

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Pep will be here for another season at least, he loves English football and here he will always have a challenge to stay on top

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Honestly can't see how they could win the Champions league when they seem so mentally weak, and defensively vulnerable.

We are in the semi final and play the best football in the world, it's not that difficult to believe, Chelsea was a much weaker team than us when they won it, anything can happen from this point on

• Subscriber

City's problems aren't in their attack but in what sits at the base of that midfield for me. Rodrigo is not a better DM than Fernandinho and that little change has caused so much havoc with their ability to stop attacks before they even reach the defense. Having said that, they are already in a cup final, the knockout stages of the Champions League and are sitting second in the league (albeit its a very very distant second).

IMO they can and should beat Real Madrid because they are the better team and they have the home game in the second leg as well. But, this is the Champions League and anything is possible because we've seen time and time again how teams just find an extra bit of motivation once you get to the knockout stages. 

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

City's problems aren't in their attack but in what sits at the base of that midfield for me. Rodrigo is not a better DM than Fernandinho and that little change has caused so much havoc with their ability to stop attacks before they even reach the defense. Having said that, they are already in a cup final, the knockout stages of the Champions League and are sitting second in the league (albeit its a very very distant second).

IMO they can and should beat Real Madrid because they are the better team and they have the home game in the second leg as well. But, this is the Champions League and anything is possible because we've seen time and time again how teams just find an extra bit of motivation once you get to the knockout stages. 

Call me crazy mate but I think you miss the captaincy of Vinnie K. I think without him you're now a typical Guardiola team of dainty flowers that look very pretty but wilt under pressure. 

You are always in with a chance and I'd have no issue at all seeing you guys win a CL but I just feel that you lack the grit and determination for me to suspect you'll be able to get over the line in a real tough two legger deep in the competition.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Call me crazy mate but I think you miss the captaincy of Vinnie K. I think without him you're now a typical Guardiola team of dainty flowers that look very pretty but wilt under pressure. 

You are always in with a chance and I'd have no issue at all seeing you guys win a CL but I just feel that you lack the grit and determination for me to suspect you'll be able to get over the line in a real tough two legger deep in the competition.

Agreed its a cascading effect. Pep has no one to fill that CB position so now Fernandinho plays there but really he should be playing at the top of the defense doing all the 'tactical' fouling he can to disrupt play. Instead, hes now forced to be the one who has to do the same thing in front of the goalkeeper and its not really half as effective. Plus, if we did win the CL I think i'd go out and get drunk again and oh by winning the CL you mean Liverpool right ;)

8 hours ago, Harry said:

The issue is defensively is a worry against the top teams In Europe....madrid will be a huge test. get past them and to me only Liverpool will be a match-up to fear. Juve and Barca have their flaws as do PSG. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Banned from the CL for 2 seasons!

See ya Pep

Surprised by the severity of the punishment,  UEFA doesn't usually have the balls. No doubt in my mind they are quilty as charged.  Hope the penalty stands through the appeals, in fact wish it was harsher and that along with PSG, they were thrown out of football.  No country should  be allowed to own a football club.

Edited by Redcanuck
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

It will be overturned mate, legal action has started, they don't have any real evidence and alleged hacked emails wont stand up in court

Read this just isn’t true. UEFA have a pretty watertight case, it’s why they took so long putting it together. Let’s be honest we all know they’re guilty. Those sponsorship deals are a sham and whatever you think of FFP the rules have clearly been broken 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

Read this just isn’t true. UEFA have a pretty watertight case, it’s why they took so long putting it together. Let’s be honest we all know they’re guilty. Those sponsorship deals are a sham and whatever you think of FFP the rules have clearly been broken 

Their argument seems to be how they've been caught rather than the actual evidence against them. They're also acting as if UEFA are going to be appointing a lawyer on no win no fee or somethingxD

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Seems to be some confusion over the exact reason - I've not read the transcripts but it seems they're being penalised for obstructing UEFA's investigation and not specifically for their spending? 

Kinda undermines the argument about FFP being a racket or whatever. So far, UEFA have been fine with financial doping, so long as you at least conceal it with a bit of discretion and don't take them for fools. 

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Seems to be some confusion over the exact reason - I've not read the transcripts but it seems they're being penalised for obstructing UEFA's investigation and not specifically for their spending? 

Kinda undermines the argument about FFP being a racket or whatever. So far, UEFA have been fine with financial doping, so long as you at least conceal it with a bit of discretion and don't take them for fools.