talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

Manchester City Supporters Club has welcomed the “brilliant” gesture from owner Sheikh Mansour of paying for travel costs of all fans going on official trips to the Champions League final.

Official Supporters Club general secretary Kevin Parker has estimated that the generous decision to stump up for all flights and transfer costs for fans who have to observe the strict Covid restrictions - by flying in and out on the same day - will cost the Blues owner around £2million.

And he says that, at the end of a tough year for everyone, and with many fans unhappy at Portugal’s insistence on strict bubble rules surrounding the final in Porto on May 29, it is a great gesture.

“It’s a brilliant offer,” said Parker. “I got a call from the club ahead of the announcement and my initial response was ‘How great is that?’

Man City & Leicester have the best owners in football 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Pep Guardiola says he is staying put at Man City: I have everything I need

Pep Guardiola's five-season spell with Manchester City is already the most time he has spent in charge of a single club; the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich head coach, who has two years left on his contract at the Etihad, says 'the results will decide if I can stay longer'

Pep Guardiola says he is planning on staying at Manchester City for the long term because the club "gives the manager everything he needs".

"I have friends in the hierarchy above me, and the players have the feeling that I'm the manager because they feel I've been supported by all the people [above me].

"Most importantly, apart from the players - because in five or six teams in England and Spain, they have top players as well - I feel comfortable with my staff, the backroom staff, I have everything. I can't ask for more to do my job as best as I can do.

"It's simple as that. We are in the same line, we take decisions together, we share the mistakes together, we share the good things all together and this is the point.

"When we lose, they don't tell me that I'm responsible, we look to find a solution. I know as a manager that if we don't win, they are going to fire me, but they are going to do it in a friendly way.

"This is the way we work here and this is why I extended the contract here by two years and after two more years. I feel incredibly comfortable working, not only with the players, but all the departments in the club.

"That's why I decided to stay longer."

Looks like Peps here for 20 years then 😎

Aguero is getting replaced with a high value striker B|

Manchester City are ready to spend big on a couple of players of quality this summer, says chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak.

In the wake of the club's Champions League final defeat by Chelsea, Khaldoon says City "will be back".

He said "the biggest mistake" would be to rest on their laurels after winning the Premier League.

Speaking through his club's media channels, Khaldoon said the emphasis would be on "quality".

His comments come amid a growing expectation that City are preparing a club record bid for England skipper Harry Kane.

"Having won the league, it is not the time to sit back and be content," said Khaldoon.

"That would be your biggest mistake. This is the time to send a strong message that there is no contentment, that you are not satisfied with just winning the league."

City have space for Kane in Pep Guardiola's squad following the departure of striker Sergio Aguero, one of the club's highest earners.

"Sergio Aguero's shoes are very hard shoes to fill but I am confident we will find the right player to fill those shoes," said Khaldoon.

"There are other areas in the team that need investment. Not too many - it is not about numbers, it is about quality. But we will bring quality into the squad in a couple of key positions."

This summer many of City's Premier League rivals will be attempting to stretch budgets that have been massively impacted by playing virtually a full season without fans.

And there are no guarantees full stadiums will be allowed when the 2021-22 campaign begins on 14 August.

"Our financial balance sheet is strong and we will invest wisely and do what we need to do," said Khaldoon.

"But the market will be difficult as there won't be enough liquidity. There will be movement but it will done in a more creative way."

It has been suggested City might use players as bargaining chips to get deals done, although in the past, such transfers have proved difficult.

But despite criticism from outside the club of Guardiola for his team selection against Chelsea in Porto, the City hierarchy is solidly behind the man who has brought them three league titles out of the past five and led them into what Khaldoon describes as the club's "golden era".

"We will do everything we can to keep Pep for as long as possible at this club," said Khaldoon.

"He is in the right environment and has the right infrastructure around him.

"We have the greatest trust and the greatest relationship and we have achieved so much. The journey goes on and it will go on as long as Pep is happy and we are happy."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ederson just signed 5 year contract

Ederson has signed a new five-year contract with Manchester City.MEN'S TEAM

The goalkeeper put pen to paper on a deal which keeps him at the Etihad Stadium until the summer of 2026, prolonging his commitment to the Club to nine-years from his arrival in June 2017.

Edited by Happy Blue

No Harry Kane or Cristiano Ronaldo leaves door open for Liam Delap, Manchester City’s teenage ‘wrecking ball’

Paul Hirst
The Times

Having access to matches last season was a huge privilege, but the match-day experience One interesting snippet overheard during Manchester City’s Carabao Cup win over Bournemouth came from the vast team of analysts who furnish Pep Guardiola and his coaches with all types of information. “He’s like a wrecking ball,” one of them said during the 2-1 win last September. “He’s like nothing else we’ve got,” another added. The player that the two men were were talking about was Liam Delap, son of Rory Delap

Delap joined Manchester City's academy in 2019 from Derby County, impressing from a young age and being capped at several youth levels with England.[5] He scored a goal and set up two others in the final of the 2020 Under-18 Premier League Cup.[6]

On 24 September 2020, Delap made his first-team debut in a 2–1 home win against AFC Bournemouth in the EFL Cup, scoring his first senior goal in the 18th minute.[7] After the match, manager Pep Guardiola praised him and confirmed Delap would continue training with the first team.[8] Three days later, he made his Premier League debut in a 5–2 home defeat by Leicester City, coming on as a substitute for Fernandinho in the 51st minute.[9] In April 2021, Guardiola confirmed that Delap would be moved up to the first-team permanently before the following season.[10] Delap won his first trophy on April 25, when City defeated Tottenham 1–0 in the League Cup final at Wembley Stadium.[11] Delap, however, was not selected for the squad and instead had to follow the match in the stands.[12]

During the 2021 pre-season, Delap suffered an injury to his foot, which led to him missing the Community Shield against Leicester, which Manchester City lost 1–0, and the Premier League opener against Tottenham, which they also lost 1–0. On 20 August, amid interest from several Championship clubs looking to loan him, Delap signed a three-year contract extension, keeping him at the club until 2026

International career[edit]

Delap has represented England at youth level. He finished as top scorer at the 2019 Mercedes-Benz Aegean Tournament for U16 international sides in Turkey, and went on to play for the U17s.[14]

On 29 March 2021, Delap made his debut for England U18s during a 2-0 win away to Wales at the Leckwith Stadium.[15]

Edited by Happy Blue

@Happy Blue

What's your take on Pep?

A lot of CFC fans think he only wins things with a big budget.

Do you think that is a fair comment or just too simplistic?

I personally think he needs the big budget yet also buys good players though the striker situation seems a strange one, Jesus for me is not top drawer and now that Aguero has gone seems to leave a void.

15 hours ago, Waylander said:

@Happy Blue

What's your take on Pep?

A lot of CFC fans think he only wins things with a big budget.

Do you think that is a fair comment or just too simplistic?

I personally think he needs the big budget yet also buys good players though the striker situation seems a strange one, Jesus for me is not top drawer and now that Aguero has gone seems to leave a void.

He did it with a load of youth players at Barca but guess it's easier to buy the players you want but you still need to get them playing as a team, money doesn't guarantee success, look at united, they have spent a fortune in the last few seasons   

All managers spend big money to be competitive. And to be constantly competitive takes even more. I dont think pep could win a league with a low net spend like what klopp did. Pep had a good team and he had to add to it. Klopp had to completely rebuked a team and sell well to generate funds. However pep is still a top 5 coach in the world without a doubt 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

All managers spend big money to be competitive. And to be constantly competitive takes even more. I dont think pep could win a league with a low net spend like what klopp did. Pep had a good team and he had to add to it. Klopp had to completely rebuked a team and sell well to generate funds. However pep is still a top 5 coach in the world without a doubt 

Pep has had to do a total rebuild of City hence why he has spent so much, Mancini's team got too old and needed replacing, Fernandinho is the last survivor of the pre Pep era

17 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Pep has had to do a total rebuild of City hence why he has spent so much, Mancini's team got too old and needed replacing, Fernandinho is the last survivor of the pre Pep era

Not all within a short space of time though. He has david Silva, Vincent company etc for his first 3 titles. He also didn't have to generate money to get players. Hes a great coach no doubt but not convinced he could do what klopp did. But at the same time I'm not convinced klopp could do what pep has done. Pep just wants to win everything all the time. Klopp doesn't pay much attention to domestic trophies. Not saying he doesn't want to win them but pep is obsessed with winning everything. I think both are better at the clubs they are at