talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Man City's average attendance didn’t drop below 26,500 between 1997-2000 when they were in the second and third tier which is extremely good. 

Have to feel for those fans at times like this.

I enjoyed that period tbh, playing other teams for a change is refreshing, going to grounds you wouldn't normally see, good times B|  

9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I enjoyed that period tbh, playing other teams for a change is refreshing, going to grounds you wouldn't normally see, good times B|  

Funny you say that I've got some City supporting mates and they say that was their favourite period for away days etc...

My old man also says the same about the season we spent down in the old division 2. Like you say grounds you never visit and you also take huge numbers.

Personally I get where Pep was coming from but it wasn't something a manager should address as it felt like he was questioning the support. Its a fact City don't fill that stadium often, City fans hate it hence why every fan of other clubs enjoy hitting them with that fact.

He knows the club isn't that big really, he knows the money pumped in is the only reason you are now competing at the top table of World football. He didn't need to ram it home so other clubs could would ridicule you more.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Man City's average attendance didn’t drop below 26,500 between 1997-2000 when they were in the second and third tier which is extremely good. 

The problem is that city are traditionally a working class mid table support of a similar size to say a palace or Wolves. They would go in numbers throughout their history but that hasn’t transferred to the modern era, yeah they probably have picked up a few million fans globally but that’s not boots on the ground in and around the city. Nowadays they’re  something 18 year old glory hunting kids on social media follow and that doesn’t equal full stadiums. It’s probably too much for a working class family from Stockport to afford and I bet there’s a minority that don’t like what they’ve become. United are the glamour club have been for 50 years and will continue to do so, we critics the fair weather fans but all the United fans I’ve known 20 odd years are still United. City’s new breed are a different generation and there’s still a massive element of father and son going to games making it habit. 
Also they win but it’s a team thing there’s no 1 superstar although I suspect they’ve tried to change tact with Grealish, but his appeal to a neutral was coupled with his boyhood club fairytale so won’t translate easily

5 hours ago, Devil said:

Funny you say that I've got some City supporting mates and they say that was their favourite period for away days etc...

My old man also says the same about the season we spent down in the old division 2. Like you say grounds you never visit and you also take huge numbers.

Personally I get where Pep was coming from but it wasn't something a manager should address as it felt like he was questioning the support. Its a fact City don't fill that stadium often, City fans hate it hence why every fan of other clubs enjoy hitting them with that fact.

He knows the club isn't that big really, he knows the money pumped in is the only reason you are now competing at the top table of World football. He didn't need to ram it home so other clubs could would ridicule you more.

I was in school back then it was great, in the old first division we would always be mid to low table so we had no expectations, we lived for the odd scalp like beating united 5-1 at Manie Road, we went around school for a full year after saying to united fans, "what time is it? ..5 past Leighton"  :4_joy: 

We have always been a big top 20 club in England hence why we still have the attendance record outside of wembley but our support is more local and working class, we don't get many day trippers like united and Liverpool (yet :4_joy:)  and the stadium is full or almost full every weekend, our average attendance this season is 52.137 not bad is it?   midweek is a different story for various reasons but we get decent number at weekends when family's are off work and school, i myself haven't been to a game for a while, cost's a small fortune for all 6 of us and i'd rather spend that money on my 4 children, especially when i will get to see the game at some point on sky sports, you could say i'm an armchair supporter these days now i have a family of my own :4_joy:  

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I was in school back then it was great, in the old first division we would always be mid to low table so we had no expectations, we lived for the odd scalp like beating united 5-1 at Manie Road, we went around school for a full year after saying to united fans, "what time is it? ..5 past Leighton"  :4_joy: 

We have always been a big top 20 club in England hence why we still have the attendance record outside of wembley but our support is more local and working class, we don't get many day trippers like united and Liverpool (yet :4_joy:)  and the stadium is full or almost full every weekend, our average attendance this season is 52.137 not bad is it?   midweek is a different story for various reasons but we get decent number at weekends when family's are off work and school, i myself haven't been to a game for a while, cost's a small fortune for all 6 of us and i'd rather spend that money on my 4 children, especially when i will get to see the game at some point on sky sports, you could say i'm an armchair supporter these days now i have a family of my own :4_joy:  

Are City the only club with working class fans?

Because I've been a season ticket holder and nearly everyone in the stadium was working class. Same at Liverpool, Leeds, Stockport, Wigan, Arsenal. Actually the same at every club, City fans using that as an excuse is pathetic.

As for the various midweek reasons for an half empty stadium, United have had midweek fixtures in Europe for the last 30 years and always fill the stadium, traffic etc... more bollocks. I live in Manchester, I have a friend who lives in Leigh, he makes it to every City game midweek or not, its really not that difficult to get there.

Final point day trippers, apparently City haven't got them, also laughable. How the hell do you know you don't have them?

I bet you do.

And if you do do you think they are making up the 20 thousand extra fans we have in our stadium over City.

If I was a City fan I'd just admit it, were a club who's got rich and aren't actually a big club with a big support.

Be far easier than churning out the same old tired excuses you do over and over again.

As for the 5-1, we returned the favour and I also walked round school saying its 5 past Tracey.

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Are City the only club with working class fans?

Because I've been a season ticket holder and nearly everyone in the stadium was working class. Same at Liverpool, Leeds, Stockport, Wigan, Arsenal. Actually the same at every club, City fans using that as an excuse is pathetic.

As for the various midweek reasons for an half empty stadium, United have had midweek fixtures in Europe for the last 30 years and always fill the stadium, traffic etc... more bollocks. I live in Manchester, I have a friend who lives in Leigh, he makes it to every City game midweek or not, its really not that difficult to get there.

Final point day trippers, apparently City haven't got them, also laughable. How the hell do you know you don't have them?

I bet you do.

And if you do do you think they are making up the 20 thousand extra fans we have in our stadium over City.

If I was a City fan I'd just admit it, were a club who's got rich and aren't actually a big club with a big support.

Be far easier than churning out the same old tired excuses you do over and over again.

As for the 5-1, we returned the favour and I also walked round school saying its 5 past Tracey.

Some one didn't get any last night :4_joy:  ..the midweek thing i would guess is more to do with cost than anything else and if we had a large amount of day trippers like you them games would be sold out. 52,000 average attendance is big support   ..you need to work on them trolling skills ;)lol

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

That triggered a random but good memory... of being on Holiday around that period and me and my Dad got friendly with a City family. Die hard fans they were, me and my Dad ended up cheering on City with them to win a really important game. I think it was a playoff final.

16 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Some one didn't get any last night :4_joy:  ..the midweek thing i would guess is more to do with cost than anything else and if we had a large amount of day trippers like you them games would be sold out. 52,000 average attendance is big support   ..you need to work on them trolling skills ;)lol

I'm stating facts, I don't troll, I leave that to the professionals like you. 🤣

52 thousand average attendance my arse, there were tickets available all over the stadium yesterday an hour before the game. Someone posted a image of your ticket availability page off your club website.

Your alleged average is as legit as your alleged wage bill. All fabricated for a reason.

As for last night, unfortunately that's the only part of any of your posts that is factually true.

Edited by Devil
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Devil said:

I'm stating facts, I don't troll, I leave that to the professionals like you. 🤣

52 thousand average attendance my arse, there were tickets available all over the stadium yesterday an hour before the game. Someone posted a image of your ticket availability page off your club website.

Your alleged average is as legit as your alleged wage bill. All fabricated for a reason.

As for last night, unfortunately that's the only part of any of your posts that is factually true.

52,137 apologize when you are ready mate, no rush! :coffee:

# Stadium Capacity Spectators Average
  Total:      
Manchester City Etihad Stadium
Manchester City
55.017 156.411 52.137

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2021

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2021-2022/1/

34 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

🤣👍

I don't believe any figures associated with Manchester City.

So no I won't apologise.

Have a nice day mate.

8 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

If it was raining on your head you would tell me it wasn't :4_joy: 

Look, its a fact City give out false attendances. I won't be the first or last person to say this.

You will often find that City quote a full stadium yet the TV cameras and the waves of empty blue seats tell a different story. Now I'm told it's season ticket holders that don't turn up, what confuses me with that claim is if that's the case do large sections of the stadium decide they are going to miss the same games?

It's easy to pick figures off websites and claim they are facts, but the simple truth is only City fans believe they sell out that stadium.

Even your manager has told the whole the media they don't fill the stadium.

Edited by Devil

It seems an odd topic for Pep to get involved in. I've heard the Empty-had taunts. But why acknowledge it? Why sound like you're suggesting fans could switch as easily as players do?

They have in football terms gone instantly from Wolves, Middlesbrough, sort of status, to genuine rivals of any side looking to win league titles & Champions Leagues.

Physical support may grow, in time, if it continues for a generation or 2. Not of players, but of fans. So realistically it's not something that Pep can effect & influence right now, so just shouldn't be drawn into it as a topic, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...