talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

R.I.P. Colin

Colin Bell: Manchester City great dies aged 74

Manchester City legend Colin Bell has died aged 74 after a short illness, the Premier League club has announced.

The former England midfielder made 492 appearances for City between 1966 and 1979, scoring 152 goals. He won 48 caps for his country.

"Few players have left such an indelible mark on City," said a club statement on Tuesday.

In 2004, Manchester City fans voted to name one of the stands at Etihad Stadium in Bell's honour.

"Colin Bell will always be remembered as one of Manchester City's greatest players and the very sad news today of his passing will affect everybody connected to our club," said City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

FULL REPORT

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Sad 1

Perhaps some Man City fan should start a thread on the latest sad piece of news today.  Colin Bell was one of City's greatest players - often overlooked when praise was given out for team performances he was always there - over 500 games for the club and apart from his footballing ability his personality was very special.  I was lucky enough to have interviewed him twice for local Radio - once with his mate Mike Summerbee - and I always thought of one word that summed up the guy.  His fringe, his feet, his words, his manner and his life all were fully described in whatever way you believe the word means  - Colin was decent!  So sad that he has gone so early - too early!

R.I.P Colin

I dont think we have ever had a bad defence, under Mancini & Pell it was the best in England, now Pep has reverted back to a more balanced system even Stones looks good again 😂 ..the problem has been when your going all out attack and using the fullbacks as wingers it leaves you open to a sucker punch! 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Storts said:

They’ve definitely turned a corner from earlier in the season - this is a different city team to what we are used to seeing from Pep too 

Yep, deserves a lot of credit really. He's not totally abandoned his normal tactics but there's definitely been a more pragmatic approach to games this season. 

This season is unpredictable but it's hard to see beyond them.

On 18/01/2021 at 08:34, Happy Blue said:

We are not even at the half point yet, anything can and will happen 4 teams in the mix right now  ...it's good we are scoring again, still need a strong world class striker to replace Aguero now in my opinion, could cost us the title if we wait till summer

I don’t think we’ve really been in the mix for a while, tbh. I’m not sure if it’s impressive from our players we’re still in contention or if it just means the league is more shit than we think.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think we’ve really been in the mix for a while, tbh. I’m not sure if it’s impressive from our players we’re still in contention or if it just means the league is more shit than we think.

Things can change fast, wasn't long ago people was saying we wouldn't even make top 4 :what:

Looks like last night has come at a price for City.

It will be interesting to see how they break down sides without KDB now for a couple weeks. They never look the same without him.

You look at the fixtures he'll miss and granted, they are soft fixtures but they are all low block sides as well so City might find it tough without his passing/delivery.

Lot's of pressure on Sterling to produce now.

Edited by Lucas

20 hours ago, Lucas said:

It will be interesting to see how they break down sides without KDB now for a couple weeks. They never look the same without him.

They did win the league without him in 2019. 

Although you do have a point. City have looked incredibly reliant on him this year. No Silva, Augero, or an inform Bernardo to steer the ship. 

• Administrator

That is a big miss for them. Just as Pep sorts out the defence as well. They missed Silva earlier in the season, don't have a proper striker to rely on, wonder how their other attacking players will play without KDB supplying them... 

Six weeks takes to first weekend in March so could miss the following games:

West Brom away
Sheff Utd home
Burnley away
Liverpool away
Tottenham home
Arsenal away
Gladbach away
West Ham home

Man Utd at home on 6th March could be first game back.