talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 Team of the Season

• Administrator

Neville's team of the season xD xD

Maguire and Rashford. Wow. 

E72C1D73-0ADC-4164-B94B-3C008DE0A7EE.jpe

I'd have Alexander-Arnold or even Coufal instead of Walker. 

Mount or Tielemans should be there too. Probably instead of Fernandes. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

No way Coufal, Walker or Cancelo easy.

De Bruyne really ain’t been playing that sort of centre mid.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

No way Coufal, Walker or Cancelo easy.

De Bruyne really ain’t been playing that sort of centre mid.

Why not Coufal? 

• Subscriber

Mendy

Cancelo - Dias - Stones - Shaw

Rice

Gundogan - Fernandes

Salah - Kane - Mount

Subs: Ederson, Maguire, Justin, Soucek, Grealish, Tielemans, Son, Foden, Calvert-Lewin

Dunno actually on that. I feel harsh leaving Ndidi out completely. Rice has been excellent by all accounts though even though I think Ndidi is probably better overall defensively. Ndidi has had what feels like a lot less games though and gone off a little lately.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Danny said:

Cancelo all day, Coufal benefitting from playing in an over performing side imo

Why is that used against him? Wouldn't it look worse if he wasn't playing well in a side that overachieves? 

That's like saying Cancelo is benefitting from sheer quality around him, so it's expected he plays well? 

I know sky absolutely bum the life out of the Big Six but Neville takes the piss there with some of his picks. 

Bamford and Iheanacho have more goals than Rashford in far fewer games... 

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why is that used against him? Wouldn't it look worse if he wasn't playing well in a side that overachieves? 

That's like saying Cancelo is benefitting from sheer quality around him, so it's expected he plays well? 

I know sky absolutely bum the life out of the Big Six but Neville takes the piss there with some of his picks. 

Bamford and Iheanacho have more goals than Rashford in far fewer games... 

You asked why I wouldn’t have him, I don’t think he’s that good and that his reputation is benefitting from playing in an overachieving team. Cancelo on the other hand has been phenomenal at times this season

Martinez

Cancelo - Dias - Stones - Shaw

Rice

Mount- Bruno - Gundogan - Son

Kane

Emilano Martinez has made a huge difference to Aston Villa's defence to the level where I'm starting to believe Arsenal got rid of the wrong goalie. There defence is conceding as many shots and big chances as they were before lockdown when they were terrible but Martinez shot stopping has ensured they've progressed forward.

Portuguese Man City defenders speak for themselves. Joao Cancelo has made a big improvement in his second season whilst Ruben Dias has been the POTY as far as I'm concerned. I've included John Stones too as he's gone from "Can I hold your bottle of water please?" to "Whose your daddy" thanks to Ruben Dias.

Luke Shaw's second half season performances have propelled him ahead of Ben Chilwell for me. I think the latter would have made it had Frank Lampard stayed because the rotation with Alonso has severely dented his chances.

I really wanted to include both Tielemans and Ndidi but to me they would both come as a package. Ilkay Gundogan has really stepped for Man City when they've needed him too whilst Bruno has been massive to everything Man United do. Alongside them Declan Rice has been great settling defence to midfield for West Ham which can be seen in how many they concede without him. So I don't see where Ndidi or Tielemans would fit in.

Mason Mount can play on the right ahead of Mo Salah. Not his favoured position but his consistency over the last year given all the change that has happened with Chelsea consistently has been quite remarkable. He's burst through any ceiling I thought he had.

On the left I've gone for Son Heung-Min as I don't think you can ignore his goal contributions for Tottenham. Had Phil Foden played more minutes I would have included him. 

Up top there's only one man. Our captain.

• Administrator

Martinez

Alexander-Arnold - Stones - Dias - Shaw

Gundogan - Tielemans

Mahrez - Mount - Foden

Kane

Martinez - shone for Villa and while they've improved at the other end (Watkins) it was stopping the conceding of goals which they need to improve on. Getting him in to replace Pepe Reina was a wise move.

Alexander-Arnold - I think far too much was made about his temporary drop in form. Southgate's comments at the time didn't help. But despite that, he regained the form fairly quickly and started delivering again. 

Stones/Dias - Dias is absolute boss level standard. Stones benefits from being next to him. Dias can arguably be labelled the next Kompany as he clearly has that presence and leadership and is just very good. Stones seems to have learnt a lot off him already. Rock-solid partnership.

Shaw - it's as if he's come on leaps and bounds this season, or perhaps just shown a lot more consistency. Maybe having Telles as actual competition for that position has meant he's had to up his game to keep playing there. Very dependable there and gets forward well. The options for England are solid with he or Chilwell able to play there.

Gundogan - arguably player of the season (along with Dias). His purple patch of form around Dec-Feb was just the icing on the cake for how well he was playing anyway. Adding some seriously good goals to his performances. A catalyst for Man City's success domestically and in CL.

Tielemans - His improvement from last season is huge - becoming a very high class of footballer; vision and assists are great. Considering he's played nearly every minute in most competitions this season he's never actually looked that fatigued. Always delivers and adds to the team's goals too. Some of his assists would be lauded if he was playing for Barca/Man City etc...

Mahrez - again someone who's improved massively under Pep. Displaced Bernardo Silva who was playing quite well last season and perhaps Mahrez is now in the top 3/4 Man City players this season? He's like a magician in that line-up. They could all probably create something but Mahrez takes it that next step. 

Mount - whilst I do prefer Foden it's still no denying that Mount is very influential and a big reason why Lampard did and Tuchel does profit from him being in that midfield. Very creative and another reason why England might do well at the Euros? He and Foden both would start...

Foden - to be as composed and talented as he is despite only being 19, amongst some vastly more experienced and world class players just goes to show how good he is right now. Under Pep as well I can only see him get better and better. But if they win the CL, is Pep's work done?

Kane - Quite easy this one given he's the top scorer in the league and continues to be the most reliable player for Spurs or in the league for goals. Hard to keep Son out because they are a great pair to have but Kane does have the knack of creating something out of nothing. That goal against Palace (?) was sublime.

You could argue that had Grealish/Barnes/Calvert-Lewin been fully fit all season they might have had a legit shout to be in the side as well. 

Dallas for Leeds might have even had a shot but he can be the bench player that can play in any position xD. Also feels a bit off leaving any West Ham players out given their achievements so far but individually I think the players above have been better. If Lingard plays a whole season with the form he showed since January he's probably in there somewhere. Same with Iheanacho for us. 14 goals since start of March is ridiculous. 

Slightly off topic, but this time last year (back without any football) the Totally Football Show (James Richardson et al) had a running series of past seasons and brought up the fact that Arjen Robben only played something like 18 games in the EPL in 2004/05 and still made it into the team of the year. 

So wouldn't be unreasonable for Foden to make it, even if he's played under 50% of the total minutes.

Player of the season - Harry Kane

Young Player of the season -  Ruben Dias

Signing of the season - Wesley Fofana

Worst signing of the season - Rhian Brewster

Manager of the season - Moyes 

image.thumb.png.36f464020456643ddd5a2df59f612f53.png

19 hours ago, Stan said:

I wouldn't put Trent in this season. He's improved from his horror show at the beginning of the season, but he's lacked the consistency to make the team of the season.

But I don't know how Salah gets left off considering how shit we've been, the amount of goals he's scored is pretty incredible.

Rashford's attacking output this season's actually really really similar to Mane's. And I think Mane's had a pretty poor season, maybe the worst one in his career.

So I'd swap out Rashford for Salah.

I have great respect for Rashford's off-field work but Neville has put him in his team because of that which is ridiculous. It's meant to be about what happens on the pitch and putting Maguire in is a joke.

Martinez

Walker

Dias

Stones

Shaw

Mount

Gundogan

Fernandes

Calvert-Lewin

Kane

Son

Manager: Tuchel if he wins the FA Cup and CL, Guardiola if he doesn't. Moyes is the only other candidate. 

Foden is amazing but didn't play enough games and De Bruyne gets in on general quality for most people rather than this specific season.

• 2 weeks later...

---------------------------------------------Martinez------------------------------------------

Arnold------------Dias---------------Stones-----------------------------Shaw

--------------------------Gundogan-----Ndidi------------------------------------

Salah--------------------------------------------------------------------------Barnes

-----------------------------Fernandes---KDB--------------------------------------

On 26/05/2021 at 23:14, Happy Blue said:

Being un-biased for a minute you cant argue with this team B|

Ederson (GG Winner)

Walker - Stones - Dias - Cancelo

Bernardo - Gundogan - De Bruyne

Mahrez - Kane - Foden

I think Salah has to be in. 22 goals in our broken side is pretty impressive tbf

Archived