talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Valerin Ismael is West Brom's New Head Coach

football forum

• Administrator

Allardyce has a 'break clause' that can be activated by manager or club following relegation; Wilder tipped to take over.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12302865/chris-wilder-on-west-broms-managerial-shortlist-with-sam-allardyces-future-in-doubt

Chris Wilder is on a shortlist of managers to take over at West Brom, should Sam Allardyce ultimately leave The Hawthorns this summer.

Allardyce is set for crunch talks over his future on Wednesday after it was confirmed on Sunday that Albion will be relegated back to the Championship along with Wilder's former club Sheffield United.

Wilder has been linked with a number of jobs since leaving Bramall Lane in March after five years in charge, having taken the Blades from League One to ninth place in the Premier League.

To date, no talks have taken place between Wilder and Albion - but that is expected to change if Allardyce's five-month tenure comes to an end when he meets with the board later this week.

His 18-month contract includes a break clause that either the manager or club can activate at the end of the season upon relegation, which was sealed with defeat at Arsenal on Sunday.

That could mean that Wilder - a lifelong Blades fan - ends up in charge of one of Sheffield United's fiercest competitors for automatic promotion back to the Premier League next season.

It is thought Allardyce is torn about whether he wants to commit to another season in the Championship at the age of 66.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Back to the drawing board. I doubt it would have worked out. Far too negative for a side that will be expecting a top two finish and have the players and finances to do so.

The thing is, they don’t have the finances. The Chinese people who bought them want out but they want a very similar price to what they paid, £200m, which was vastly overpriced and because nobody wants to pay that much and they won’t reduce their asking price, their interest in West Brom is non-existent so it’s a case of them not putting major investment towards the playing squad or coaching staff. 

They’re going to go for someone out of work, who’ll be relatively cheap and won’t kick up much of a fuss, so it looks like Alex Neil or possibly Derek McInnes, who may appease the anger from the fanbase somewhat. 

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Strange. I thought Chris Wilder would just walk into the job there but obviously he's not their cup of tea at all.

Their chairman binned that idea because he didn’t want Wilder to moan in the press about him, how Wilder did about United’s ownership. 

Ismael would be a good appointment under a stable club with a proper direction. 

• Subscriber

Shame for Barnsley, but they will have somebody lined up. I read a good article about them recently and their rise is no fluke. I legitimately think they'll be in the Premier League in the next few years.

Just now, Dan said:

Shame for Barnsley, but they will have somebody lined up. I read a good article about them recently and their rise is no fluke. I legitimately think they'll be in the Premier League in the next few years.

They're about to lose an influential member of their recruitment team to Nottingham Forest so it will be interesting to see if there's any long term knock on effect.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

They're about to lose an influential member of their recruitment team to Nottingham Forest so it will be interesting to see if there's any long term knock on effect.

I'm sure the long term effect is that Forest will manage to coach that out of him and he'll be out of a job in 18 months.

In all seriousness though, yes that is quite big you would think, but they're another one of these heavily data driven clubs and they're the types who'll go and appoint some Gladbach reserves manager who ends up smashing it. They supposedly appointed Stendel and Ismael on the back of their records for how well their teams pressed relative to their division, something along those lines, and both overachieved.

They also own a few other clubs, another is Oostende in Belgium who've gone from a relegation candidate to 5th in a year. I just don't think this is a coincidence. It strikes me as a model designed to take these kinds of hits. I'm keeping a keen eye on them.

Archived