talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Transgender People in Sport

football forum

where do people stand on this. imo trans people should have the same rights as anyone but i dont think its fair that a trans male should get to compete in womens sports. i think its unfair to take away the rights of women to give them to trans people. what do you think. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Yeah, that's just completely unfair. Regardless what someone identifies as, there's the biological reality of male or female sex and all the physical properties that come with it. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’m curious as to hear the arguments that are for it. 

some states in america have banned trans people from womens sports and it is getting a lot of backlash 

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

As far as I know trans gender aren't allowed to compete with other women in sports, Therefor not sure what that thread is about since I can't hear, what this woman is talking for some reason unknown to me?

well in some places they can. do you think they should get to compete in womens sport. 

39 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

well in some places they can. do you think they should get to compete in womens sport. 

Depends in sports where athleticism play a subordinate role like chess, billiard, snooker, curling etc why not? In others it's unfair for the reason nudge already mentioned.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Depends in sports where athleticism play a subordinate role like chess, billiard, snooker, curling etc why not? In others it's unfair for the reason nudge already mentioned.

so why not just agree in the first place. 

If people want to be trans or whatever they want to call themselves, fine - I don't really give a shit.

I still don't really understand why/how the trans-ness got to be the way it is... and I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the arguments about why we should treat their gender identities as... normal (for lack of a better word). But I recognise that my thoughts on this can be considered pretty offensive and I don't want to offend anyone. I respect that they have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as they aren't detrimentally impacting anyone else. So I suppose I've become a bit more tolerant.

But as far as having a biological advantage in sport... that's detrimentally impacting the other competitors and it shouldn't be allowed imo.

Shit like football or athletics, trans women should compete with men... not with biological women.

The non-athletic sports, like darts and shit like that, they can probably compete. Maybe even motorsports too, I know there's a lot of G force issues and it strains your neck... but I think women can fly planes and shit too, so they can probably handle shit like that as well.

5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

As you see I've made a annotation on nudge's comment.

no what you did was agree with my first post and didnt want say you agree with me. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If people want to be trans or whatever they want to call themselves, fine - I don't really give a shit.

I still don't really understand why/how the trans-ness got to be the way it is... and I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the arguments about why we should treat their gender identities as... normal (for lack of a better word). But I recognise that my thoughts on this can be considered pretty offensive and I don't want to offend anyone. I respect that they have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as they aren't detrimentally impacting anyone else. So I suppose I've become a bit more tolerant.

But as far as having a biological advantage in sport... that's detrimentally impacting the other competitors and it shouldn't be allowed imo.

Shit like football or athletics, trans women should compete with men... not with biological women.

The non-athletic sports, like darts and shit like that, they can probably compete. Maybe even motorsports too, I know there's a lot of G force issues and it strains your neck... but I think women can fly planes and shit too, so they can probably handle shit like that sa well.

thats a sensible way to look at it but some people in the world would call you transphobic. i think the way the world works now is you cant give some people rights without taking them away from other people. 

7 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

no what you did was agree with my first post and didnt want say you agree with me. 

I had an annotation, just for you I quoted myself and balded the part in which I didn't agree.

28 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

5 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

thats a sensible way to look at it but some people in the world would call you transphobic. i think the way the world works now is you cant give some people rights without taking them away from other people. 

I might be transphobic... maybe doctors aren't doing enough to educate people about the concept of body dysmorphia... Either way, I respect trans people's right to exist and live a life that makes them happy, regardless of whether or not I understand where they're coming from. And I certainly don't want to offend anyone just because they live differently to me or have a different concept of what their gender is.

It might just be one of those things I'll never understand... but I don't want to make people feel like shit just because they think different/live different to me. At the core of it is really their "identity" and I can imagine having your identity attacked by bigots all the time can mess with your head a lot.

But still, I think if society is going to be accepting of trans people - we do need to consider things like competition in sport and recognising biological differences we've been born with.

Yes, trans people should compete in the category they were biologically born in, or better yet, in their own section with their own rules and binding laws.

I've seen people say "Testosterone doesn't matter." Yes, it does enormously. 
"But their hormones are different now" If you had a male puberty you're stronger, with greater bone structure and bone density than a natural woman can hope to ever achieve, even the genetic freaks. 

Remember when the world number 200 and something crushed Serena Williams like a bug, while smoking between sets? That's TENNIS. A skill based non contact sport. Imagine other sports and areas. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

There’s that notorious rumor a U17 MLS team beat the woman’s national team a few years ago...

I can never tell what anyone hoped to achieve with that rumor and I cant even remember if it came out when the USWNT was asking to get paid equally but I believe it was before it.

To be perfectly honest if you were transgender female who was previously male you shouldn't want to compete with the other females because you'd know you'd have a physical advantage that would make it an unlevel playing field. 

I read an article a while back that showed that a lot of trans athletes (male to female) in athletics actually suffer in their performances compared to women because of the reduction of testosterone in their bodies, I’ll try and find it as it was quite interesting and their might be a rebuttal/discussion around it now.

I think the issue with this is that it’s an extremely nuanced debate that is either dumbed down to “trans women are women” or some sort of Joe Rogan style “they would crush women” depending on what side of the argument you’re on.

• 1 month later...

What's everyone's view of the transgender women that's been cleared to compete at the Olympics? 

Personally feel its wrong, if I was a female that had trained my whole life for this I'd withdraw in protest. 

Awful subject but can't agree with it. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Not seen the science behind it, anyone got any links?

Science behind what? IOC's decision to allow transgender women to compete? You won't see any science behind it, because it doesn't exist. Their "guidelines" have no list of references of published research, no credible scientific backing. On the contrary, it pretty much ignores all the research which clearly indicates that their "guidelines" are a load of BS.

10 hours ago, nudge said:

Science behind what? IOC's decision to allow transgender women to compete? You won't see any science behind it, because it doesn't exist. Their "guidelines" have no list of references of published research, no credible scientific backing. On the contrary, it pretty much ignores all the research which clearly indicates that their "guidelines" are a load of BS.

Assuming there was some behind the decision to allow a trans woman to compete in this type of competition. But yeah, science against it as well.

Archived