talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Extends Broadcast Rights to 2025

Was listening to David Ornstein's podcast a couple days ago, and basically the league was looking to avoid bidding on the deals as most other leagues in Europe have seen a decline in their deals recently.

Also seemed to suggest that BT Sport was looking for an 'exit strategy', now that their broadband war with Sky has seemingly been 'settled'. Mentioned that ITV were perhaps interested in taking a stake in them, which would give them use of BT Sport's studios etc, and a possibility of European club competitions returning to Free to Air television in Britain.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like streaming will be the beginning of the end for BT Sport's coverage of Premier League football. 

The reality is both Sky and BT Sport have done exceptionally well out of this since football returned when you consider how many games they originally paid to show. The landscape across Europe tells a different story with loss in TV money ranging from 10% in Germany to 50% in France which they no doubt would have tried to take advantage of despite (especially in BT Sports case) showing coverage that isn't actually that good.

I think the Government have done the right thing by allowing the contracts to role over and ensuring 100 million goes to clubs that needs it. Even if the likelihood of the football pyramid to spread that money fairly is very small.

I can remember when BT Sport first launched and they were excellent, a real breath of fresh air.

I'd go as far now as to say that they're coverage is pretty poor, not to sound like I'm jumping on a bandwagon but I think all of their commentators are absolutely shite, to the point of real irritation. 

I watch my sport on Portuguese TV these days, much prefer it.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I can remember when BT Sport first launched and they were excellent, a real breath of fresh air.

I'd go as far now as to say that they're coverage is pretty poor, not to sound like I'm jumping on a bandwagon but I think all of their commentators are absolutely shite, to the point of real irritation. 

I watch my sport on Portuguese TV these days, much prefer it.

Yeah I think that's fair, Efan Ekoku aside I do prefer the co-commentators on Sky.

It's the pundits that do my head in too. Joe Cole's lack of the knowledge to the point where he doesn't know how to pronounce anything is painful to watch. Even their female pundits are worse, Karen Carney is terrible.

10 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

It's also, probably fair to say, that this shows that the 3pm blackout rule is coming back eventually.

Im in favour of this. Its all felt a little over saturated this season with games on almost every evening.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's the pundits that do my head in too. Joe Cole's lack of the knowledge to the point where he doesn't know how to pronounce anything is painful to watch. Even their female pundits are worse, Karen Carney is terrible.

Joe Cole is your typical east-Londoner who acts like he's down the pub chatting to his mates and not actually offering anything valuable. 

BT Sport had Lucy Ward (think that's her name) co-commentating on one of our games a while back and she was actually really good. Much better than Owen, Keown, McManaman, Sutton etc...

Robbie Savage has about 5% value. Majority of the time he's trotting out stats being fed to him through his earpiece or on his notes. 

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

No more early Saturday KO for teams involved in Europe on the Wednesday. Will Sky do the same for Europa League teams?

Totally disregarding fans with them moving to the 7.45pm game as well. Usually less travel options for trains/buses on a Saturday night. I very much doubt extra trains or services will be put on.

I don't get why they couldn't just keep it at 12.30pm but just avoid the 2 teams that are likely to play on Wednesday. Not like it's going to be every week the same side plays on Wednesday either :what:

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Totally disregarding fans with them moving to the 7.45pm game as well. Usually less travel options for trains/buses on a Saturday night. I very much doubt extra trains or services will be put on.

I don't get why they couldn't just keep it at 12.30pm but just avoid the 2 teams that are likely to play on Wednesday. Not like it's going to be every week the same side plays on Wednesday either :what:

It's very, very rare that a 12:30 kick off does not include Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs.

It's to do with the Premier League reaching a global audience and these are the most popular brands of our league that will have support in the Australian/Asian market at a time that suits them.

Burnley v Crystal Palace for example, would not sell.

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I don't get why it has to be the Saturday night, surely something could be done on the Sunday instead.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's very, very rare that a 12:30 kick off does not include Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs.

It's to do with the Premier League reaching a global audience and these are the most popular brands of our league that will have support in the Australian/Asian market at a time that suits them.

Burnley v Crystal Palace for example, would not sell.

Yeah but if one of those teams plays on Tuesday, they're perfectly capable of playing 12.30 on Saturday. Given the fact only 2 of those sides will ever play on Wednesday makes moving it to a fixed 7.45pm Saturday slot look like they're pandering to those clubs and those clubs only. 

And sadly the end part of your post is where the problem is - prioritising and catering for a market above the match-going fan. 

17 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I don't get why it has to be the Saturday night, surely something could be done on the Sunday instead.

Exactly. Keep a 12.30pm slot and if they really want a game for the Saturday evening involving a Wednesday CL team, just move it for that week only. Don't get why it has to move for every week of the season. 

Newcastle fans seem to get shafted the most so no doubt they'll be chosen against Arsenal or Tottenham or Chelsea, when trains don't run beyond 10pm and coaches will end up getting back at about 4 or 5am... 

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2021 at 21:22, ScoRoss said:

Was listening to David Ornstein's podcast a couple days ago, and basically the league was looking to avoid bidding on the deals as most other leagues in Europe have seen a decline in their deals recently.

Also seemed to suggest that BT Sport was looking for an 'exit strategy', now that their broadband war with Sky has seemingly been 'settled'. Mentioned that ITV were perhaps interested in taking a stake in them, which would give them use of BT Sport's studios etc, and a possibility of European club competitions returning to Free to Air television in Britain.

ITV have said they aren't interested in acquiring BT Sport, but BT's Chief Exec believes that there will be some sort of deal within the next few months. I think it was a bit of hope, rather than expectation, that we'd see Champions League games (at least some) return to free to air television.

Probably going to come down to whatever streaming service wants a huge boost with EPL and Champions League games.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

ITV have said they aren't interested in acquiring BT Sport, but BT's Chief Exec believes that there will be some sort of deal within the next few months. I think it was a bit of hope, rather than expectation, that we'd see Champions League games (at least some) return to free to air television.

Probably going to come down to whatever streaming service wants a huge boost with EPL and Champions League games.

Amazon Prime...

Archived