talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U.S. Soccer to wear rainbow jersey numbers

football forum

U.S. Soccer to wear rainbow jersey numbers in upcoming USMNT, USWNT friendlies

When the United States takes the field in June, they will do so with a unique look. To celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month, U.S. Soccer is partnering with the You Can Play Project to roll out several initiatives centered around promoting equality and inclusion for all athletes, coaches and fans. As part of that partnership, the USMNT and USWNT will wear jerseys adorned with rainbow-themed numbers during their June friendly matches. The USMNT will wear the jerseys in Salt Lake City June 3rd when they take on Venezuela in a pre-World Cup qualifying tune up, while the USWNT will wear the jerseys during friendlies on June 8th in Sweden and June 11th in Norway.

This isn’t the first time the pride rainbow has appeared on the field during a U.S. Soccer match. Last June during the Copa America Centenario, Michael Bradley famously wore a rainbow captain’s armband during the USMNT’s quarterfinal match against Ecuador, a personal act of tribute to honor the victims of the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando that occurred a few days prior. The gesture led to a swell of tributes and fundraising by fans for the shooting victims and to show support for a reeling LGBTQ community.

U.S. Soccer is not the only organization or league to use their uniforms to promote awareness for a cause or to show support for a group of people. Major League Soccer, Major League Baseball, the NFL and the NBA have all had teams wear special jerseys or uniform accessories to promote a cause or to bring awareness to a disease or disability. This is a wonderful initiative by U.S. Soccer and its national teams to show fans from all walks of life that have felt excluded from sports that not only is their support always welcome at U.S. Soccer events, but that their national team plays for them as well.

Support for the national team knows no color, no creed, no sexual or gender orientation, and when the MNT and WNT take the field in June, they will support those fans in a truly bold way. Good on U.S. Soccer for their continual efforts to raise awareness and promote inclusion and acceptance for fans from all backgrounds.

I get the whole let's not discriminate anyone, but I hate this idea. Separate sports from personal belief UNLESS that sport is withholding fair treatment because of your color or sexual orientation. Otherwise, separate them and let's move on and quit trying to fucking make everyone happy.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Terrible idea but doesn't surprise me. A family company like Disney through abc/espn has been pushing this agenda and now the spazzos wtf! The biggest joke was giving her/him/it bruce j. an espy award, i havent watched those awards since that. 

At least we can agree on something. I swear we are the biggest bunch of fucking snowflakes and care WAY TOO much what others think of us.

Personally I don't care, but there is a reason that people in the USA still make fun of soccer and call it a wimpy sport, this just kinda makes them more right. It's a sport it shouldn't have anything to do with social issues, it's like we have this but not a black lives matter one as an example of another social issue? I get that a lot of the USWNT are about this but still. It seems pointless.

2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Personally I don't care, but there is a reason that people in the USA still make fun of soccer and call it a wimpy sport, this just kinda makes them more right. It's a sport it shouldn't have anything to do with social issues, it's like we have this but not a black lives matter one as an example of another social issue? I get that a lot of the USWNT are about this but still. It seems pointless.

LGBTQ typically don't riot through streets and entice violence against the police. What is next? You'll have the KKK sponsoring the Tennesee Titans as a 'social issue'?

48 minutes ago, Spike said:

LGBTQ typically don't riot through streets and entice violence against the police. What is next? You'll have the KKK sponsoring the Tennesee Titans as a 'social issue'?

The realist in me agrees with you so much it hurts. The social justice warriors would have you hung for that statement.

I don´t have a strong opinion about this. But it feels some manifestations of support are fake and plastic, only designed to make the huge corporations behind them profit. 

If I had to guess, Nike and not the LGBT community will be the one that profits the most from it, either from sales and from a PR standpoint. 

19 minutes ago, Dickie said:

The realist in me agrees with you so much it hurts. The social justice warriors would have you hung for that statement.

I put no stock in a hypocritical organisation that preaches peace when they march through the streets of Baltimore (a very black city) and chant 'pigs in a blanket fry 'em like bacon' despite the fact that the majority of police in Baltimore are black themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I put no stock in a hypocritical organisation that preaches peace when they march through the streets of Baltimore (a very black city) and chant 'pigs in a blanket fry 'em like bacon' despite the fact that the majority of police in Baltimore are black themselves. 

Isn´t the leader of the movement ethnically white? 

Just now, El_Loco said:

Isn´t the leader of the movement ethnically white? 

It says 'white' on his birth certificate but is adamant his father is black. Talcum X, they mock him.

Also the leader of the Canadian movement has to be one of the nastiest humans alive. She is well known to flat out be a black supremacist, often calling other races 'genetic mistakes' and 'abnormalities'.

Image result for Shaun King

Whatever they mean is besides the point and people get too hung up on things that don't concern them.  I've always felt that those that get annoyed about things like this really should look at themselves more than anything else.  They actually look good too!

You lot need to try a bit harder to cover up how uncomfortable you are about homosexuality.

How many of you incorrigble scroats moaned in all those instances where players wore t-shirts before games, logos on kits, had sponsorship boards around the ground, all as part of a kick racism out of football campaign?

You wouldn't fucking dare unless you are a total wrong-un

6 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

You lot need to try a bit harder to cover up how uncomfortable you are about homosexuality.

How many of you incorrigble scroats moaned in all those instances where players wore t-shirts before games, logos on kits, had sponsorship boards around the ground, all as part of a kick racism out of football campaign?

I find some of the comments rather eerie to be honest.  In today's day and age comments that are so lacking in any form of logic is beyond me.  It makes sense when we then go onto read social political orientated views.

"Family" indeed!  WOW!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Spot on 

Don't have an issue with them trying to show support to the LGBTQIA  community (this is not me taking the piss, it's actually how ridicuous it is now) but the fact it looks so shit surely evokes feelings of embarrassment than pride.

10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Yeah, maybe. But I guess with me a least homosexuality is already completely normalised. Maybe it is just my generation

I don't see the issue? People completely hide who they are because they're afraid of what will happen if them being gay was made public, people are bullied or assaulted for being gay and suicide is high amongst the LGBT community.

I'm not sure how two national sides in the States showing support and raising awareness is a bad thing.

'Pride' is completly different from showing support and raising awareness. Is anyone proud of being straight? They shouldn't be, just like someone shouldn't be proud of being gay, or anything in between. Nobody should be ashamed either. When there is pride for one thing and not the others it only creates a further diferentiation and division. It is far more socially acceptable to say 'I'm proud to be gay' than 'I'm proud to be straight' becuase the latrr has negative homosexual connotations. Until both statements are rendered equal there will never be equality. 'Gay pride' and the like are inherently hypocritical platitudes that champion 'equality' but in the end just merely serve to raise one above the other.

'Sexual equality' not 'pride'. Read the definition for the word 'pride', nobody has the right to feel proud for something they've no control over. 'Pride' is an emotional reaction to an achievment, being gay isn't an achievement. 

Archived