talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U.S. Soccer to wear rainbow jersey numbers

football forum

Pedantic word policing.

Pride is a statement of experience, of resilience to shaming, stigma and an abusive society. It's about giving people confidence. It's not about giving people arrogance, superiority or creating an unequal balance. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Pedantic word policing.

Pride is a statement of experience, of resilience to shaming, stigma and an abusive society. It's about giving people confidence. It's not about giving people arrogance, superiority or creating an unequal balance. 

Words have definitions for a reason. If not than I can ambiguously skew anything into my own definition.

@Spike You say that context matters but that the context of history does not matter in the same post. 

Language purism is futile. Inequality is subjective and your antagonism looks as if it is a subjective product of language purism and not real inequality.

3 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

@Spike You say that context matters but that the context of history does not matter in the same post. 

Language purism is futile. Inequality is subjective and your antagonism looks as if it is a subjective product of language purism and not real inequality.

No, I didn't. Whatever, it's a pointless argument anyway.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:13 PM, HoneyNUFC said:

You lot need to try a bit harder to cover up how uncomfortable you are about homosexuality.

How many of you incorrigble scroats moaned in all those instances where players wore t-shirts before games, logos on kits, had sponsorship boards around the ground, all as part of a kick racism out of football campaign?

You wouldn't fucking dare unless you are a total wrong-un

I would fucking dare. Pathetic virtue signalling for the slacktivist generation.

10 minutes ago, Panflute said:

I would fucking dare. Pathetic virtue signalling for the slacktivist generation.

So when black goalkeeper Shaka Hislop set up the Show Racism the Red Card campaign to send an anti-racism message and have footballers promote it as role models to younger generations you would have turned him away, said sorry you blacks do it yourself, us whites want nothing to do with it because we don't want to appear as if we are virtue signalling to one another, it's more important that us whites don't look pathetic than it is for us to help you educate kids to not abuse black people.

Is that about right?

7 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

So when black goalkeeper Shaka Hislop set up the Show Racism the Red Card campaign to send an anti-racism message and have footballers promote it as role models to younger generations you would have turned him away, said sorry you blacks do it yourself, us whites want nothing to do with it because we don't want to appear as if we are virtue signalling to one another, it's more important that us whites don't look pathetic than it is for us to help you educate kids to not abuse black people.

Is that about right?

It's not about how whites appear, it's about how campaigns like this will do fuck all.

11 minutes ago, Panflute said:

It's not about how whites appear, it's about how campaigns like this will do fuck all.

I don't think you can categorically say that role models of young people promoting anti racism messages does fuck all. 

You're guessing just as much as those who assume it will have an impact are guessing.

It's really a matter of whether it is worth taking that punt or not. Only a total wrong-un wouldn't want to try.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I don't think you can categorically say that role models of young people promoting anti racism messages does fuck all. 

You're guessing just as much as those who assume it will have an impact are guessing.

It's really a matter of whether it is worth taking that punt or not. Only a total wrong-un wouldn't want to try.

The flaw in anti-racism campaigns is that most racists don't see themselves as racists. That makes their impact a symbolic gesture at best.

As for the campaign at hand, it is a different case as I disagree with its message morally in addition to the likelihood of it generating annoyance much rather than sympathy.

29 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The flaw in anti-racism campaigns is that most racists don't see themselves as racists. That makes their impact a symbolic gesture at best.

As for the campaign at hand, it is a different case as I disagree with its message morally in addition to the likelihood of it generating annoyance much rather than sympathy.

Racists don't see their behaviour as wrong. The impact therefore is education. Hence racist chanting is gone from the terraces of English football. 

9 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Racists don't see their behaviour as wrong. The impact therefore is education. Hence racist chanting is gone from the terraces of English football. 

Something tells me actively banning and prosecuting people who do that kind of stuff has more to do with it than a few vapid slogans.

Archived