• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Zidane Leaves Real Madrid; Ancelotti Returns to Real

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I know I should be more upset if this is true, but we're beyond help. If he goes then I can't blame him but I will be disappointed after all of his talk of wanting to be at Everton for a long time and wanting to be around for the new stadium and stuff. I know every manager says it but he's gone far beyond the bare minimum that you need to say as part of your job, and I've always thought he was more of a genuine bloke than many in the business. Perhaps he really was ready to commit to a long-term future at Everton, thinking that he wouldn't actually get another offer from a club like Real Madrid before he retired. Like I say, disappointing on that front but can't blame him now that he's seen a year of just how dysfunctional, broken and beyond help our squad and club actually is. 

Hasn't happened yet though, so wait and see for now.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

dont know why anyone would bother going for another turn on the Madrid roundabout.

Getting out of a contract with Everton seems like a pretty good payoff for it :rofl:xDo.O:dam::61_sob:.

• Subscriber

He’s also been fairly disastrous at Everton and nobody really talks about it. 

But they’ve spent huge amounts of money to finish behind Spurs and Arsenal in disarray and a newly promoted Leeds side.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Storts said:

He’s also been fairly disastrous at Everton and nobody really talks about it. 

But they’ve spent huge amounts of money to finish behind Spurs and Arsenal in disarray and a newly promoted Leeds side.

It's been severely underwhelming by his standards.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Everton seem to get away with a lot without much criticism. 

Everton or Ancelotti? He has the persona of an an uncle at a BBQ that keeps topping you up with beers and kebab skewers, hard to criticise even when he deserves it.

• Subscriber

It's harsh to be overly critical of his time at Everton. He made some positive change and there was enough there to believe there was a chance of his 3 year or 5 year plan coming together, even with the capitulation at the end of the season. It's also been beneficial to prove to the club's hierarchy beyond any doubt just how incapable and gutless so many of our players are, that even with a proven winner at the helm, the end product was more or less the same. If he is going to leave now, though, as it looks as if he's going to, the sum total of his time at the club is a 12th placed finish where he stabilised the Marco Silva tailspin but was unable ultimately to build on that, a 10th placed finish after failing as the manager to sort out the dreadful home performances that were the difference between us finishing there and potentially even finishing in the top four (admittedly many other teams that were closer could point to their home form and say the same thing but certainly European qualification if not top four) and two fairly meek cup exits against teams that were admittedly a lot better equipped than us.

People are losing their minds on social media. I'm disappointed but like I said more about him jumping at this opportunity (I still don't blame him but I remain disappointed) after professing his love and enthusiasm for the club and its values over the past 18 months. In terms of the club's medium-term future, you have to assume that James Rodriguez will leave as well. Allan possibly too. But if our plan was to go into the market this summer and buy another handful of 29 year olds like Ramsey and Rabiot who some might call 'ready-made' but I'd call 'on their way down', then this is going to be a blessing in disguise in that medium to long-term.

Like I said in the other thread. When our last manager left, Ancelotti was available and I can see why it was worth a try if the opportunity presented itself. I'm not going to pretend that I had any doubts about him taking us into the next few seasons but it's also not the end of the world. This time I really hope we start looking at managers and players who are on their way up with something to prove.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Storts said:

Everton seem to get away with a lot without much criticism. 

It's not like we really get praised much either though, is it? We don't get criticised because don't really get talked about much at all, and we aren't worth talking about, which is entirely our own fault. One of our fans tweeted Gary Neville about what he thinks about Everton's top four chances and his response was that he's basically not paying attention to us anymore because we kept letting ourselves down at the important moments. He was right. We don't get criticised because people are fed up about saying the same things about us for the last 7-8 years. It's boring and repetitive, and to those that don't hate us it probably starts to feel cruel, even if it remains valid. It's not a case of "getting away with" anything. For a club like us, with the money we've spent, the greatest form of criticism is the fact that we've had the same things wrong with us for so long that people are bored of pointing it out. 

• The title was changed to Zidane Leaves Real Madrid; Ancelotti To Return
48 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

He also had a pretty mediocre stint with us id rather forget. Would be talked about more if Kovac wasnt such a disaster to follow him.

I think the bottom line with Ancelotti is that he is vastly overrated. 

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think the bottom line with Ancelotti is that he is vastly overrated. 

He is better than Zidane though. Both never really impress me with tactics or strategy but they definitely know how to capture lightning in a bottle, I think Carlo does it better.

Archived