talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things That Should Be Banned

football forum

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Same, for me. I record a hell of a lot and just watch on catch-up. The burst of Netflix/Amazon Prime has influenced that - the ability to literally watch on-demand any time you want, any day.

Football will head that way towards streaming services. It already has in some capacity. 

It's got to hasn't it, people are now paying Sky and BT subscriptions with only the sports being the reason. 

Doesn't make sense to be paying £100+ a month when you just buy a smart TV and pay £10 each for both Netflix and Amazon prime. 

I actually cancelled my sky subscription over twelve months ago and Apple airplay the match from my MAC to the TV on the wall. Okay it may take me a couple of minutes to find a quality stream but I've never not watched a match or pay per view boxing matched yet. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As an ex-smoker, I'm not sure we should ban cigarettes. Yes it's unhealthy, yes some people can find it unpleasant... but by the same token, if I find the morbidly obese to be unpleasant to look at and it's not healthy to be morbidly obese... I don't think that means we need to ban fast food and Coca-Cola.

And yes, I realise second hand smoke is more harmful to other people than looking at someone unattractive... and it's a bit of a ridiculous point. But I think in the grand scheme of things, I don't think there's a serious harm to most people. Maybe banning people from smoking around babies and young kids makes sense to me though.

I'm actually not big on banning a lot of things, tbh. I can think of a few instances where I'd "unban" things...

Like I think if I had the power, I'd decriminalise/legalise all (or most) drugs. Should people be snorting cocaine and shooting smack? Probably not. But I don't think criminalising drug use/sale/possession is really the answer to addressing drug addiction. If you're on drugs and are committing crimes, I think that should be taken into account when facing justice in a legal system. But drug use/sale/possession by itself... I think it's a bit of a waste of police/judicial resources.

Same with prostitution (in instances where the prostitutes aren't the result of human trafficking... because that's typically sex slavery)... it's two adults consenting to have sex - like normal sex - the only difference is the transactional element. If prostitution was a normal business with it's own rules and proper regulation and oversight - it'd be a lot safer for the prostitute and the customer. And police and the court system could worry about crimes where there's actually a victim.

I'm not sure I agree with censorship of art. I can understand it in some contexts - like Germany banning the Swastika in video games (which aren't deemed art, which I think is stupid... if action movies can be deemed art, why the fuck can't video games)... but it's not like Wolfenstein, a game which revolves around killing Nazis, is glorifying Nazis by displaying the Swastika as you ruthlessly gun down Nazis. I think there, there's actually value in showing the Swastika, even if it's been transformed into a hateful symbol that represents the worst of humanity... because the game is SO ANTI-NAZI it puts some fucking context as to why your ruthless slaughter of these people is a good thing!

Similarly, I think what Poland is doing to death/black metal bands like Behemoth - trying to censor and ban them because of blasphemy. Or basically anything the Islamic Republic of Iran does with regard to censorship in terms of entertainment/art/pretty much everything... that's an absolute disgrace. So I'd ban that kind of censorship against art.

I don't believe it's the government's role to be morality police. The government's mostly just there to keep everyone safe and keep countries functioning. So I'd try to ban authoritarian governments xD 

I'd also ban guns. And bombs. And most modern instruments of war... if I can't ban war itself entirely. War is fucking hell, modern weaponry makes that hell all the more worse and much more deadly. Bet countries would really think long and hard about going to war if it meant you had to send kids out with swords, pikes, axes, etc... 

I agree with @DeadLinesman, if you're in a theatre and you've got your phone out or you haven't put yourself on silent or some shite like that... when you're in a public setting - that shouldn't be allowed. It's not a massive harm to anyone or anything, but it's fucking annoying and incredibly rude. I bet if theatres fined people 20 quid each time it happened, it'd never fucking happen though.

Prostitution is nearly always safer for whore and john when it is regulated by the government as brothels. It removes pimping.

‘Swastikas’ are a buddhist symbol to nearly half of the world with no negative connotations, only positive and spiritual. 

17 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The American model is fucking shite. 85000 adverts every 3 minutes? No thanks.

So is the British model, even more shite than the American, because you have pay for a bloody license. Australia has the best TV access by far. Dozens of channels for free and the ABC is commercial free.

Probably  have to pay for a knife and fork license before you eat in the UK xDafter you have already paid for the food

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Prostitution is nearly always safer for whore and john when it is regulated by the government as brothels. It removes pimping.

‘Swastikas’ are a buddhist symbol to nearly half of the world with no negative connotations, only positive and spiritual. 

Yeah I can’t imagine any argument that prostitution in its criminal form is better than regulated prostitution. People might not like that people pay for sex, but people will… because they have for pretty much forever.

I agree with you, but you know what I meant… especially with the example of a game about killing Nazis xD

2 hours ago, Spike said:

So is the British model, even more shite than the American, because you have pay for a bloody license. Australia has the best TV access by far. Dozens of channels for free and the ABC is commercial free.

Probably  have to pay for a knife and fork license before you eat in the UK xDafter you have already paid for the food

And I’d rather pay a licence than watch a thousand commercials about haemorrhoid cream. Each to their own I suppose.

• Subscriber

I watched IndyCar on NBC stream last weekend, it's impossible. Felt like the racing was interrupting the commercials, not the other way around xD Completely mad. 

24 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

And I’d rather pay a licence than watch a thousand commercials about haemorrhoid cream. Each to their own I suppose.

Never seen an advert like that. Must be targeted advertising in your case.

23 minutes ago, nudge said:

I watched IndyCar on NBC stream last weekend, it's impossible. Felt like the racing was interrupting the commercials, not the other way around xD Completely mad. 

What did you expect? The car is a billboard.

IndyCar: Indianapolis qualifying results - Will Power takes pole

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

What did you expect? The car is a billboard.

IndyCar: Indianapolis qualifying results - Will Power takes pole

Well, I switched to another broadcaster outside of the US, and surprise surprise - no commercials! :P I mean, I can understand a commercial break every now and then as those TV rights are not cheap, but that was just crazy; every 10-15 minutes or so. Unbearable... 

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well, I switched to another broadcaster outside of the US, and surprise surprise - no commercials! :P I mean, I can understand a commercial break every now and then as those TV rights are not cheap, but that was just crazy; every 10-15 minutes or so. Unbearable... 

I don't get what you are complaining about, I'm sure the commercials were far more entertaining than Indycar. Jokes aside, NBC has free channels that are neither prescription, tax funded, nor 'tv licensed', so the money has to come from somewhere. You probably switched to a prescription based channel.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't get what you are complaining about, I'm sure the commercials were far more entertaining than Indycar. Jokes aside, NBC has free channels that are neither prescription, tax funded, nor 'tv licensed', so the money has to come from somewhere. You probably switched to a prescription based channel.

Shhhh, IndyCar is class :( Anyway, I get that, but that's also my point - I'd much rather pay subscription fee/license/whatever than watch races/sports/movies on "free TV" with unendless stream of commercials that, at least for me, ruin the whole experience... 

Just now, nudge said:

Shhhh, IndyCar is class :( Anyway, I get that, but that's also my point - I'd much rather pay subscription fee/license/whatever than watch races/sports/movies on "free TV" with unendless stream of commercials that, at least for me, ruin the whole experience... 

Yeah but my whole point against baldy and the TV licence is that they pay for the BBC via tax and the licence but in Australia there is no TV licence and the equivalent ABC is simply tax funded, and the remaining 'free TV' is commercial based. Then there is the SBS which is a hybrid tax/commercial program. So they pay $AUD200 on top of the tax we do in Oz.

God bless Gough Whitlam and the Labor Party.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I hate it when they shrink the live action on screen to advertise a product  mid match or mid race. 

Total piss take. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Yeah but my whole point against baldy and the TV licence is that they pay for the BBC via tax and the licence but in Australia there is no TV licence and the equivalent ABC is simply tax funded, and the remaining 'free TV' is commercial based. Then there is the SBS which is a hybrid tax/commercial program. So they pay $AUD200 on top of the tax we do in Oz.

God bless Gough Whitlam and the Labor Party.

Well that's just crazy!

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Social media. Take instagram, facebook, tiktok whatever the fuck the kids are on now and fire them and their creators into the sun. 

It's such a shame. It could have been used for so much more than it is.

Tell you what annoys me..... 

Pop ups on football streams, I find a quality site and then millions find it and before you know it you've got to click loads of little x's on pop ups of half naked women. 

Also hate the ads on YouTube, you have to watch one and you can see they've sneaked a second sneaky short one after. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Pop ups on football streams, I find a quality site and then millions find it and before you know it you've got to click loads of little x's on pop ups of half naked women. 

Also hate the ads on YouTube, you have to watch one and you can see they've sneaked a second sneaky short one after. 

Install adblocker, it will solve all your problems...

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

If you're going to be going on those streaming websites, you've got to get yourself a decent adblock and anti-virus because the risk of malware from those sites is incredibly high.

Archived