talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Portugal Euro 2020 Squad Announced

football forum

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Rui Patrício (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Rui Silva (Granada)

Defenders: João Cancelo (Manchester City), Nélson Semedo (Wolverhampton Wanderers), José Fonte (Lille), Pepe (FC Porto), Rúben Dias (Manchester City), Nuno Mendes (Sporting), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders: Danilo Pereira (PSG), João Palhinha (Sporting), Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), João Moutinho (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Renato Sanches (Lille), Sérgio Oliveira (FC Porto), William Carvalho (Real Bétis)

Forwards: Pedro Gonçalves (Sporting), André Silva (Eintracht Frankfurt), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus), Diogo Jota (Liverpool), Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia), João Félix (Atlético Madrid), Rafa Silva (Benfica)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

From a selfish point of view I'm glad Ricardo isn't in. He's not looked right and a full proper pre-season to get fit may work wonders and be very beneficial for him. 

Having said that, I'm gutted for him because the ACL injury has probably been a factor in him missing out on the squad. He's far better than Semedo that's for sure. 

Overall that's a very strong squad though. Good 'spine' to the team. Dias, Fernandes, Ronaldo all supported by the likes of Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Jota, Carvalho, Danilo, Felix... 

Portugal have a really, really good XI that they can name. Of course there are other insane teams in the tournament (Germany, France etc.) but their always a dark horse, especially as they went all the way last time. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

From a selfish point of view I'm glad Ricardo isn't in. He's not looked right and a full proper pre-season to get fit may work wonders and be very beneficial for him. 

Having said that, I'm gutted for him because the ACL injury has probably been a factor in him missing out on the squad. He's far better than Semedo that's for sure. 

Overall that's a very strong squad though. Good 'spine' to the team. Dias, Fernandes, Ronaldo all supported by the likes of Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Jota, Carvalho, Danilo, Felix... 

For me Ricardo would still be the starter I think. Cancelo has had a decent season but he's good only in his day and hasn't been playing much right back for City anyway.

I've been trying to imagine our line up and I see no scenario in which Ronaldo starts and is beneficial for the team. Might sound crazy but we've played better without him and it would be a shame to drop someone like Jota to accommodate him.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Bernardo haha. 

He's always good. I'm more interested in what André Silva and Jota can do after the great season they've had, and the dynamics of our midfield. I suspect our line ups will change a lot. Bruno Fernandes, Dias and Bernardo should be the only ones guaranteed to start every time.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Machado said:

He's always good. I'm more interested in what André Silva and Jota can do after the great season they've had, and the dynamics of our midfield. I suspect our line ups will change a lot. Bruno Fernandes, Dias and Bernardo should be the only ones guaranteed to start every time.

Whats the feeling out there? Good chances to win it all?

On 22/05/2021 at 06:31, Mel81x said:

Whats the feeling out there? Good chances to win it all?

Don't think I got a notification for this.

There's always a silly optimism when it comes to the NT over here. Has been the case since 2004 I think. No chance for me though. We never had a functional midfield in the qualifiers and that's going to cost us against the better sides.

Archived