talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Members Vote for SuperWorld Cup to be held every 2 years

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

What is this weird obsession football has with trying to fix things that aren't broken. 

FIFA wants a cash cow that they can milk more regularly, like UEFA does with the CL.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FIFA wants a cash cow that they can milk more regularly, like UEFA does with the CL.

Whats weird about this is that over 50% of the members voted for it.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I can understand why smaller nations would be for this - more chances to make it to a world cup, means more high stakes international matches more regularly... as well as the chance to try again sooner after failing to reach qualification.

15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

It's a step in the right direction for these smaller nations. They've already talked about expanding the World Cup to 48 or 64 teams. The more frequent its held, the bigger they hope it gets and the more likely they'll qualify.

To the rest of us though, it's another case of over saturation. The additional Euro fixtures are shit, the every game on TV season has been taxing, the additional CL fixtures sound shit and this sounds shit too. Football is in real danger of eating itself through greed.

Waiting 4 years for a World Cup is part of what makes it special. There's nothing like it for me in football but that doesn't mean I want it to happen more often.

It's increasingly obvious that most people behind the the biggest football institutions and clubs don't love the sport.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Waiting 4 years for a World Cup is part of what makes it special. There's nothing like it for me in football but that doesn't mean I want it to happen more often.

It's increasingly obvious that most people behind the the biggest football institutions and clubs don't love the sport.

I think the World Cup makes the World Cup special not it's frequency

I do agree there is a serious lack of inter-continental international matches apart from the World Cup. You pure blood football fans might see international football as disturbance during regular seasons, but for us muggles, we get to have some most iconic moments in our history during these matches. Syria getting that far last time was great would have been a fairy-tale if they got to play vs Honduras. So yeah they are special. They even sacked the Confederations Cup which was a nice idea. 

Having the World Cup after 2 years is horrible though. More inter-continental play-offs for the World Cup qualifying involving teams from every confederation is the way. 

With the current South American qualifying, not sure it's even possible. They take about three years to complete at the moment. And would almost certainly end the separate continental tournaments.

It would be interesting to see what countries voted for it and the 22 that didn't. I imagine it's likely to be the larger European countries that are against it.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Remember when FIFA got angry a few weeks back over an attempted money grab? 

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

This should never be forgotten. 

Archived