talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2020/21 FINAL - Villarreal p1-1 Man Utd - Wednesday 26th May, 2021

Europa League 2020/21 Final  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/05/21 at 22:00

It's funny because a lot of the penalties were pretty average. Villareal probably had more quality penalties, where as united had a few excellent, and a bunch that were very savable that the 2nd choice keeper fucked or went the wrong way for. 

De Gea wouldn't practice pens. Hard to blame him for his shit pen, he just wanted to hit the target. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m not having this “don’t blame De Gea” shite.

All 10 outfield players on his team scored their penalties, he missed his, and he let 11 penalties in. He’s the most culpable for United losing.

I think the point is that Man Utd could have done more during the game/ET to stop it even getting to penalties. 

Rashford was clearly off form. 

Other than the goal, I don't recall Rulli having to make any saves? 

Solskjaer could/should have made subs earlier to influence that. Not making any until extra time is pretty weird.

Basicslly, if you've had to rely on your 2nd choice goalkeeper to score a penalty in a shootout to keep your side in the game, then something has already gone wrong. In isolation yeah De Gea hasn't done the right thing in that moment. But in the bigger picture it's definitely not his fault. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dan said:

BT at their absolute worst again tonight. They really are appalling at some of their coverage. They really let themselves down as they do some stuff really well.

Literally get one of the pundits who watch La Liga on the panel. It's fucking boring to listen to. "Villarreal weren't very exciting against the far more expensive Arsenal side they beat over two legs, so obviously they're absolute fodder for trophyless Solskjaer."

100% agree. The CL goals show is great because there's at least one person that watched Spanish/German/French/Italian football and understands that football occurs on the continent outside of England. 

When it comes to EL, its rubbish. It's a shame they couldn't have got anyone to represent Spanish football, even if it they couldn't get someone particular to represent Villarreal. 

Sky done what BT have done a few years ago for the Europa League final too, waxed lyrical about Klopp, second coming, Liverpool back to the top etc and then they got beat. You just can't expect impartiality. Also this Man Utd team are not that good that this is a shock result

8 hours ago, Stan said:

I wish they'd stop being so arrogant. This isn't the Man Utd of old. 

I did hear that and thought he's doing a Souness (when he said Sevilla were an average team in an average league when Liverpool were leading 1-0 in the Europa League final a few years back) and this will backfire. Glad it has.

As for Ole, I've said it before and I'll say it again, he has no clue what he's doing more often than not. Gone with arguably his most attacking line up available and while they dominated possession, they barely tested Villareal at all throughout the match, with the goal coming from a bit of luck. You need to change it up but again, Ole's decision making is baffling. 

As others have said, why bring on your first sub at the 100th minute mark when you could have made subs much earlier and potentially won the game in the 90 minutes or pushed in extra time? 

Why bring on Fred to replace Greenwood when you have a potential impact player like James on the bench, of which only comes on for 5 minutes? 

Actually, why bring on Fred at all at that point? 

Just laughable really. 

I’m more shocked that people are shocked that the media here are anything but a bunch of arrogant, self-obsessed, often contradictory idiots who actually aren’t good at what they’re being paid to do. You’ll see it at the weekend too when the play-off finals are on, you’ll get a load of lazy soundbites and clichès about the clubs to mask a complete lack of understanding or knowledge on what’s actually in front of them because, at best, you’ll be listening to someone whose knowledge of the clubs is the two semi-finals and nothing more. 

I’m not going to claim United would have won in normal or extra time had they made subs, given how Villarreal set up defensively but surely you’ve got to bring James on earlier for his pace and Mata for his ability not settle on Fred and swapping Bailly for Tuanzebe?

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Lucas said:

I wonder if we'll see anything from Rio about Ole still being at the wheel? Been driving that car a long time now hasn't he...

Also, congrats to Juan Foyth and Etienne Capoue, who now become the 88th and 89th players to win a trophy as a result of departing Spurs, since they last won one.

Over to you, Harry.

899092b995de7e9c3dd640db4b2dcc3b.gif

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m more shocked that people are shocked that the media here are anything but a bunch of arrogant, self-obsessed, often contradictory idiots who actually aren’t good at what they’re being paid to do. You’ll see it at the weekend too when the play-off finals are on, you’ll get a load of lazy soundbites and clichès about the clubs to mask a complete lack of understanding or knowledge on what’s actually in front of them because, at best, you’ll be listening to someone whose knowledge of the clubs is the two semi-finals and nothing more. 

I’m not going to claim United would have won in normal or extra time had they made subs, given how Villarreal set up defensively but surely you’ve got to bring James on earlier for his pace and Mata for his ability not settle on Fred and swapping Bailly for Tuanzebe?

It shows in FA Cup rounds when a lower-league team plays a PL team.

Embarrassing.

12 hours ago, Danny said:

What a shoot out. Jesus.

Good to see a side win it who qualified for it rather than fell into it, plus Villarreal’s first time winning the comp

I agree with this. 
don’t like the 3rd place teams in champions league drop into the knockout games for Europa League either 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

I agree with this. 
don’t like the 3rd place teams in champions league drop into the knockout games for Europa League either 

That's changing next season, sort of, with the new Conference League competition.

3rd in Champions League goes in to a knockout stage of Europa League, but they won't play a side that finished top of their EL group. EL winners go in to Round of 16, so won't play an extra game, whereas 3rd place in CL/2nd place in EL have to play another game. 

After a sleep and a reflection, I've got so many issues with last night's performance. 

• Lack of subs, they were out on their feet come the 90 minutes and Villarreal had made a raft of changes. Similar to Sevilla in the semi last season Ole just point blank refused to take a risk and bring on a substitute even though certain players weren't performing or exhausted. 
  • Lack of depth, let's have it right Ole's failure to use his subs is basically because he doesn't trust his bench. Personally, I think the likes of VDB and Mata were more than capable of playing against the likes of Capoue and Conquilan. Ole decided to run his players into the ground. 
  • Rashford, couldn't put a foot right all night, how he made it beyond 60 minutes is beyond me. Now I know I'm not the biggest fan of James but change it up, go for broke, you are in a final after all. 
  • Emry did his homework, he knew we can't break down deep-lying defences, in fact he knew if he sat deep with 10 men he could disrupt us enough that we'd get frustrated and play poorly. 
  • De Gea penalty record, said it before the shoot out to my dad, should have subbed him off. The guy looks shot to bits, he doesn't look confident and he never saves pens. Henderson is a character and I would have imagined he would have done more to put of the Villarreal players. 
  • Lindelof switches of with balls over his shoulders, Villarreal again did their homework, floated balls in behind and Lindelof loses his head and the flight of the ball. Not good enough. 
  • De Gea, people may not agree but Moreno had a simple finish, for me the keeper needs to rush out towards the ball there and try and get in the eyeliner of the striker in the hope of putting him off. Simply staying rooted to the line or just in front is making it too easy for the striker, it's his biggest weakness, the lad has zero bollocks. 

All in all it was a terrible game, Ole has blown a few big games over the last few years and always seems to make the same mistakes. I've been a big supporter of his and the process but it's now start to wear thin. There is a genuine world class manager available in Conte and I'm swinging towards a change now in my head. 

The most incredible was the game thing was learning that Giuseppe Rossi was Villareal's record goalscorer (with 82) before Moreno took it last night (?).

I knew he was prolific there, but almost always injured for long periods in-between.

24 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

The most incredible was the game thing was learning that Giuseppe Rossi was Villareal's record goalscorer (with 82) before Moreno took it last night (?).

I knew he was prolific there, but almost always injured for long periods in-between.

Another what could’ve been player. One of my favorites. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I just don't get why they do it though. Who even gains from it? They end up looking stupid. BT literally employ people who watch La Liga. I get it's the English team and we're the English broadcaster but literally get anybody who was watched 10+ Villarreal games this season on to give a bit of balance. Nothing wrong with them thinking Man Utd will win, but just don't chat shit.

19 hours ago, Tommy said:

You eat ashes you freak. 

Hahaha where did nice tommy go? 

Bruno Fernandes is a multi millionaire who just missed out on the shittest trophy available to him this season. His team didn't deserve to win it either. 

He has none of my sympathy, and I don't even dislike him. 

It's about time Villarreal won a trophy. They are a club from a very small town but over the last 20 years, have made a name for themselves.

I knew de Gea was going to see his saved but it's harsh to use him as a scapegoat as any player can miss a pen, nevermind a keeper who has never taken one before.

A Spanish club hasn't lost a European final in the Champions league and the Europa league/UEFA Cup since Bayern beat Valencia in 2002. The only teams to beat Spanish clubs in finals since have been other Spanish clubs  such as Sevilla beating Espanyol, Atlético beating Athletic Club and Real beating Atlético twice.

On 26/05/2021 at 20:44, RandoEFC said:

Something about Spanish teams in European competition this last decade isn't there. Real Madrid winning all of those Champions Leagues when they weren't particularly good. Sevilla always winning the Europa League. Villarreal have never been in a European final before? Yet on this evidence, they just look like they know exactly how to win this game. Long way to go yet...

More like 15 years as during this time Barça and Real have won 4 champions leagues each, with Atlético losing 2 finals(vs Spanish opposition) and Sevilla have won 6 Europa Leagues, with Atlético winning 3, Villarreal winning 1 and the likes of Athletic club de Bilbao and Espanyol reaching finals, with both losing against fellow Spanish sides.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived