talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Former FIA President Max Mosley dies aged 81

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean there were scandals and whatnot, but as nudge mentioned, he did a lot for the sport and it's safety. 

And particulary stories like this showed that he was a decent person:

Max Mosley attended the funeral of Roland Ratzenberger while the world gave overwhelming attention on Senna's funeral. Max said: "I went to Ratzenberger's funeral rather than to Senna's where all the great and good of Formula One were because I felt somebody needed to support him and his family."

RIP Mr. Mosley. 

• 10 months later...
  • Subscriber

Fair play to him for leaving on his own terms, have nothing but respect for that. 

Regardless of their reputation and all the controversies, Mosley and Ecclestone made F1 what it is and will forever be part of its history. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's sad, but if I'm honest if I'm 81 and learned I had a terminal illness, I'd also want to go on my terms as well.

If I had a terminal illness, I'd want to go on my terms regardless what age I were 😅

1 minute ago, nudge said:

If I had a terminal illness, I'd want to go on my terms regardless what age I were 😅

I mean if I got a terminal illness now, I'd probably want to keep living my life the way it is now for as long as I could.

And then I'd go blow my brains out once the disease started cutting into my ability to enjoy being alive.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean if I got a terminal illness now, I'd probably want to keep living my life the way it is now for as long as I could.

And then I'd go blow my brains out once the disease started cutting into my ability to enjoy being alive.

Yeah, I obviously mean it as a last resort, not blowing my brains out on the day of diagnosis xD 

I actually thought of it quite a lot in the past and have an actual plan of what I'll do if it ever becomes reality. 

• Subscriber

Personally I hope that by the time I reach that sort of age, I'll have had a family for a long time and be of the mindset that every moment more that you can get is precious. We only get one shot at this whole thing after all.

It depends, I could make my peace with a terminal illness in and of itself. But I agree there's some point at which your quality of life becomes non-existent and I'd rather be put to sleep when things got to that point than cling on for dear life just for the sake of it by any means necessary for a couple of extra weeks.

I know it's a controversial one, but I do think that if someone feels strongly enough to blow their brains out, then they should have the option of ending things voluntarily in a carefully controlled and dignified manner.

• Subscriber

That's why assisted suicide and euthanasia are a thing, and should be by far more accessible, in my opinion. 

I can understand the sentiment of wanting to spend the remaining time with the ones you love, but frankly, if you've witnessed a family member slowly pass away from cancer or other debilitating terminal illness, you know that there's nothing precious about those final weeks where they are drifting in and out of consciousness, delirious from all the pain. If I could, I would happily forget those moments all together, and definitely wouldn't want people who care about me see me in that state, either.

So yeah, I strongly agree that everyone should have a choice to end their life in a dignified manner. 

Archived