talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gini Wijnaldum Joins PSG

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yes one club is in the hunt for a Champions League title and the other has been nowhere near it for years

Maybe but it still stands, you don't choose Paris and Ligue 1 over Barca, La Liga and the Camp Nou unless they've offered you stupid terms. 

No child dreamed of playing for PSG when growing up. 

Madrid, Barca,Liverpool, United, Milan, Juve, Bayern. 

It's used to be those clubs come calling and stars were in the players eyes, City and PSG have changed that landscape with 💰💰💰💰💰

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Maybe but it still stands, you don't choose Paris and Ligue 1 over Barca, La Liga and the Camp Nou unless they've offered you stupid terms. 

No child dreamed of playing for PSG when growing up. 

Madrid, Barca,Liverpool, United, Milan, Juve, Bayern. 

It's used to be those clubs come calling and stars were in the players eyes, City and PSG have changed that landscape with 💰💰💰💰💰

City and PSG haven't changed the landscape, their owners have taken advantage of a new one that was created by the Premier League. Your club literally set the mould for how association football clubs can use capitalism to make hundreds of millions+, profiting massively from untapped markets across Asia where the fanbase have as little to do there with the city of Manchester as Man City's owners do or PSG's owners have to do with Paris. You have benefitted relentlessly for two solid decades from the money brought in from these markets, that have absolutely nothing to do with the city of Manchester or your club and have the nerve to moan about City and PSG having oil money thrown at them xD

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

City and PSG haven't changed the landscape, their owners have taken advantage of a new one that was created by the Premier League. Your club literally set the mould for how association football clubs can use capitalism to make hundreds of millions+, profiting massively from untapped markets across Asia where the fanbase have as little to do there with the city of Manchester as Man City's owners do or PSG's owners have to do with Paris. You have benefitted relentlessly for two solid decades from the money brought in from these markets, that have absolutely nothing to do with the city of Manchester or your club and have the nerve to moan about City and PSG having oil money thrown at them xD

Think you need to delve into the history of Manchester United pal, we wasn't invented in 1992.

We were the countries first European Cup winners, we had tragedy in Munich. 

The club had George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law. United have always been a big deal people seem to fail to acknowledge that fact. 

We took advantage of a new market fair enough, but that market was available to everyone. We were just the headline act. 

Just now, Devil said:

Think you need to delve into the history of Manchester United pal, we wasn't invented in 1992.

We were the countries first European Cup winners, we had tragedy in Munich. 

The club had George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law. United have always been a big deal people seem to fail to acknowledge that fact. 

We took advantage of a new market fair enough, but that market was available to everyone. We were just the headline act. 

Clearly nothing I stated suggested you'd had no success before 1992, nor did it mention how big or small a club you are.

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Clearly nothing I stated suggested you'd had no success before 1992, nor did it mention how big or small a club you are.

I never said you did, I was just making a point that we were always going to be in pole position with the Asian market because like it or not we along with Liverpool are the big tickets of the Premier League. 

If you think what City and PSG have done or are in the process of doing isn't bad that's fine by me. Reality is 20 years from now when both clubs have cleaned up enough times we will be turned off the game completely. Maybe then people will look back and admire the management and ability to build a squad capable of success by only using only resources earn't by the club. 

It's really not that difficult to take eventual full control of something if you have a bottomless pit to play with. 

PSG doubling the salary of Wijnaldum further proving the point. 

Wasn’t his boyhood club Feyernoord?

These are the last years of his career where he can get one last big contract. And tbh, Gini was probably underpaid as a key member of sides that won the CL and Premier League.

I think it’s hard to fault someone getting offered less than they were previously on, but with bonuses to “make up for the pay cut” - as opposed to getting a guarantee to double that money and get the pay rise he was initially looking for when he started contract negotiations with last year.

Plus Gini Wijnaldum fucking over Barca again is a nice throwback to a few years ago.

20 minutes ago, Devil said:

I never said you did, I was just making a point that we were always going to be in pole position with the Asian market because like it or not we along with Liverpool are the big tickets of the Premier League. 

If you think what City and PSG have done or are in the process of doing isn't bad that's fine by me. Reality is 20 years from now when both clubs have cleaned up enough times we will be turned off the game completely. Maybe then people will look back and admire the management and ability to build a squad capable of success by only using only resources earn't by the club. 

It's really not that difficult to take eventual full control of something if you have a bottomless pit to play with. 

PSG doubling the salary of Wijnaldum further proving the point. 

What is the difference between making your fortune from billions of people in a continent thousands of miles away from Manchester and making your fortune from one family in a continent thousands of miles from Manchester? Manchester United have a strong history but became the richest club in the world through selling themselves to foreign markets, similar to how Man City have sold themselves to a foreign investor, the only difference is prior to that City were shit and you weren't. You have essentially been invested in by billions of people from Asia since the early 90s, City have been invested in by an oil rich family. All of it's capitalism, none of it is traditional football.

Which brings us back to Wijnaldum, why is it that we look down on him going to PSG "for the money"? Barce make an absolute shit tonne from TV deals that come from all around the world, again places with no connection to Barcelona or Catalonia.

It's not that I think City are bad or good, it's the hypocrisy from football fans who have enjoyed the riches of capitalism which have allowed their club to blow others out of the water but when another club come in and blow them out of the water they get upset or talk about "doing it for the money", he's gone to PSG to a. get paid (which every player in the world does, including yours) and b. win major silverware, which Barce look nowhere near winning.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

What is the difference between making your fortune from billions of people in a continent thousands of miles away from Manchester and making your fortune from one family in a continent thousands of miles from Manchester? Manchester United have a strong history but became the richest club in the world through selling themselves to foreign markets, similar to how Man City have sold themselves to a foreign investor, the only difference is prior to that City were shit and you weren't. You have essentially been invested in by billions of people from Asia since the early 90s, City have been invested in by an oil rich family. All of it's capitalism, none of it is traditional football.

Which brings us back to Wijnaldum, why is it that we look down on him going to PSG "for the money"? Barce make an absolute shit tonne from TV deals that come from all around the world, again places with no connection to Barcelona or Catalonia.

It's not that I think City are bad or good, it's the hypocrisy from football fans who have enjoyed the riches of capitalism which have allowed their club to blow others out of the water but when another club come in and blow them out of the water they get upset or talk about "doing it for the money", he's gone to PSG to a. get paid (which every player in the world does, including yours) and b. win major silverware, which Barce look nowhere near winning.

I don't think it's fair if a club doesn't have to balance their books. United make two signings it's got to make financial sense (now it does anyway) 

PSG and City could clear the decks and start again and it doesn't effect them in anyway or form. The only reason they've not gone full scale fantasy football every year is becausr they know if they did they' d eventually piss enough off that they'd get booted out. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Barca moved too slowly. Unless Wijnaldum wanted to wait til summer to keep options open anyway. 

The problem with his signing is that it would have eaten up Puig and Illaix's minutes on the pitch, especially with him being Dutch, he'd be Koeman's bum boy and he's not even that great. 

He'd gave been good back up but the midfield doesn't even need much work doing to it really, just a bit of depth with Pjanic shipped out. 

It'd be better to see the club go all out for someone like Pau Torres or Laporte as the defence is very weak(other than Araújo, who is a solid young centre back) and had it not been for that defence, Barça would have won a domestic double last season as a solid side(minus the defending) was starting to develop as the season progressed. Had more possession than any side in Europe's top 4 leagues, the best passing accuracy, the most completed dribbles and only a couple of teams from Italy and Bayern scored more goals last season. However, the defence was as poor as a mid table team and that is what needs work on the most by far. This is a growing young team and should be better next season, barring the defensive issues are resolved and Koeman stops playing 5 defenders.

When it comes to the attack, the main one is getting Fati back. Also Agüero should offer the depth that Braithwaite(terrible player!) didn't. 

He should be back for pre season, which is good news.

• 5 months later...

Wijnaldum is one of the more underrated players, he is usually very consistent and influential during matches. I doubt he will be returning to Liverpool any time soon though. He is earning huge money in Paris and he's almost assured of winning the major domestic trophies there.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Thought he was doing well in Paris? Idk if I'd take him back but then again he offers something in the fact that he's rarely injured.

PSG fans think he is very hit or miss. The one PSG fan I actually know thinks he needs more time before judgment is made on him - but if you look online many PSG fans just want him gone.

I'd take him back because I think having him back in the side gives Klopp a little something different as an option in midfield & that he knows how we like to play very well from being a key member for us for so long.

But I don't think he's really needed - at least not in the same way I did before the start of the season. I will concede to @LFCMadLad he's right about us having a pathway for young players to make it into the first team and to become squad players/starters over time. And young Morton has come into the fold recently and against AC Milan he played a pretty similar role to how Gini played with us... and he did the job very well.

For a club like us, one that's got money but is also pretty keen on only spending big money if the manager and DOF are very, very, very, very keen on a player... it's good for us to have a pathway for young players, who are working to play in a similar style as us from a young age in the academy and whatnot, to have a pathway into the team. So in a sense, I don't really think we need Gini at this point in time.

34 minutes ago, Michael said:

Wijnaldum is one of the more underrated players, he is usually very consistent and influential during matches. I doubt he will be returning to Liverpool any time soon though. He is earning huge money in Paris and he's almost assured of winning the major domestic trophies there.

I don't think he'll be returning to Liverpool because now his wages are likely way too high (which is... why he left tbh, he was a consumate professional but he knew his next contract was perhaps his last big payday).

I think Gini is an incredibly underrated player, even amongst Liverpool fans (but I think there's some recency bias there where while he was one of our strongest performers in the first half of last season, he was probably overplayed and lost form pretty drastically during the roughest parts of our season) - he's probably one of the most well-rounded midfielders around. But if the rumours are true that PSG want rid of him, I suspect he'll be coming back to the premier league soon.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a shock move back to Newcastle. They're probably one of the few clubs around that have the ability to pay the kind of wages he'd want - I doubt he'd want to take such a massive step down, going from playing with Messi to playing with that utterly shite Newcastle side, but I do think he has a lot of time for Newcastle as a city and as a club (he's spoken really highly of Newcastle fans in the past). Arsenal have also been linked - and I think he'd be an absolutely massive signing for Arsenal.

But Gini is a part of a group of players that will forever be LFC legends for what they've achieved under Klopp, so if we ever did have a chance at getting him back and we ended up with him back... I'd definitely be pleased with that. I love the fucker.

Archived