Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Gini Wijnaldum Joins PSG

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Clearly nothing I stated suggested you'd had no success before 1992, nor did it mention how big or small a club you are.

I never said you did, I was just making a point that we were always going to be in pole position with the Asian market because like it or not we along with Liverpool are the big tickets of the Premier League. 

If you think what City and PSG have done or are in the process of doing isn't bad that's fine by me. Reality is 20 years from now when both clubs have cleaned up enough times we will be turned off the game completely. Maybe then people will look back and admire the management and ability to build a squad capable of success by only using only resources earn't by the club. 

It's really not that difficult to take eventual full control of something if you have a bottomless pit to play with. 

PSG doubling the salary of Wijnaldum further proving the point. 

Wasn’t his boyhood club Feyernoord?

These are the last years of his career where he can get one last big contract. And tbh, Gini was probably underpaid as a key member of sides that won the CL and Premier League.

I think it’s hard to fault someone getting offered less than they were previously on, but with bonuses to “make up for the pay cut” - as opposed to getting a guarantee to double that money and get the pay rise he was initially looking for when he started contract negotiations with last year.

Plus Gini Wijnaldum fucking over Barca again is a nice throwback to a few years ago.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Devil said:

I never said you did, I was just making a point that we were always going to be in pole position with the Asian market because like it or not we along with Liverpool are the big tickets of the Premier League. 

If you think what City and PSG have done or are in the process of doing isn't bad that's fine by me. Reality is 20 years from now when both clubs have cleaned up enough times we will be turned off the game completely. Maybe then people will look back and admire the management and ability to build a squad capable of success by only using only resources earn't by the club. 

It's really not that difficult to take eventual full control of something if you have a bottomless pit to play with. 

PSG doubling the salary of Wijnaldum further proving the point. 

What is the difference between making your fortune from billions of people in a continent thousands of miles away from Manchester and making your fortune from one family in a continent thousands of miles from Manchester? Manchester United have a strong history but became the richest club in the world through selling themselves to foreign markets, similar to how Man City have sold themselves to a foreign investor, the only difference is prior to that City were shit and you weren't. You have essentially been invested in by billions of people from Asia since the early 90s, City have been invested in by an oil rich family. All of it's capitalism, none of it is traditional football.

Which brings us back to Wijnaldum, why is it that we look down on him going to PSG "for the money"? Barce make an absolute shit tonne from TV deals that come from all around the world, again places with no connection to Barcelona or Catalonia.

It's not that I think City are bad or good, it's the hypocrisy from football fans who have enjoyed the riches of capitalism which have allowed their club to blow others out of the water but when another club come in and blow them out of the water they get upset or talk about "doing it for the money", he's gone to PSG to a. get paid (which every player in the world does, including yours) and b. win major silverware, which Barce look nowhere near winning.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Danny said:

What is the difference between making your fortune from billions of people in a continent thousands of miles away from Manchester and making your fortune from one family in a continent thousands of miles from Manchester? Manchester United have a strong history but became the richest club in the world through selling themselves to foreign markets, similar to how Man City have sold themselves to a foreign investor, the only difference is prior to that City were shit and you weren't. You have essentially been invested in by billions of people from Asia since the early 90s, City have been invested in by an oil rich family. All of it's capitalism, none of it is traditional football.

Which brings us back to Wijnaldum, why is it that we look down on him going to PSG "for the money"? Barce make an absolute shit tonne from TV deals that come from all around the world, again places with no connection to Barcelona or Catalonia.

It's not that I think City are bad or good, it's the hypocrisy from football fans who have enjoyed the riches of capitalism which have allowed their club to blow others out of the water but when another club come in and blow them out of the water they get upset or talk about "doing it for the money", he's gone to PSG to a. get paid (which every player in the world does, including yours) and b. win major silverware, which Barce look nowhere near winning.

I don't think it's fair if a club doesn't have to balance their books. United make two signings it's got to make financial sense (now it does anyway) 

PSG and City could clear the decks and start again and it doesn't effect them in anyway or form. The only reason they've not gone full scale fantasy football every year is becausr they know if they did they' d eventually piss enough off that they'd get booted out. 

Barca moved too slowly. Unless Wijnaldum wanted to wait til summer to keep options open anyway. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Barca moved too slowly. Unless Wijnaldum wanted to wait til summer to keep options open anyway. 

The problem with his signing is that it would have eaten up Puig and Illaix's minutes on the pitch, especially with him being Dutch, he'd be Koeman's bum boy and he's not even that great. 

He'd gave been good back up but the midfield doesn't even need much work doing to it really, just a bit of depth with Pjanic shipped out. 

It'd be better to see the club go all out for someone like Pau Torres or Laporte as the defence is very weak(other than Araújo, who is a solid young centre back) and had it not been for that defence, Barça would have won a domestic double last season as a solid side(minus the defending) was starting to develop as the season progressed. Had more possession than any side in Europe's top 4 leagues, the best passing accuracy, the most completed dribbles and only a couple of teams from Italy and Bayern scored more goals last season. However, the defence was as poor as a mid table team and that is what needs work on the most by far. This is a growing young team and should be better next season, barring the defensive issues are resolved and Koeman stops playing 5 defenders.

When it comes to the attack, the main one is getting Fati back. Also Agüero should offer the depth that Braithwaite(terrible player!) didn't. 

He should be back for pre season, which is good news.