talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Next Manager Search Over - Nuno Santo Hired

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, shut up said:

Lloris costs them at least a couple of games every season.

Which keeper in the league doesn't?

Even Ederson and Alisson can be at fault for some games for their clubs and they're the 2 best keepers in the league. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
17 minutes ago, shut up said:

Alderweireld and Lloris have been poor for ages (two years). Lloris costs them at least a couple of games every season.

Lloris by most statistics was the best keeper in the league last season. He had a bad month or so but on the whole he’s definitely not an issue and still one of the better keepers in the league 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, shut up said:

From an article published in February 2021...

image.thumb.png.72cef41ab35ea68d465b24a7ff830ce3.png

Yeah, he does make some errors but shot stopping wise he’s at the very top of the lists and he’s a not positive - if I could be bothered I’d dig out all the charts from last season that had Lloris at the top of them. The big problem is in front of him. We need better centre backs and also more importantly a better structure and set up which hopefully Conte would bring 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, shut up said:

These stats are misleading though. Obviously if you have faced the 2nd most amo8nt of shots in the league your 'goals prevented' is going to be high. It's like when relegated teams have GKs all number one in save stats (usually anyway)

If only Arsenal had a GK that prevented 4.7 goals :ph34r:

They’re not, he’s still a very good shot stopper. One of the best around. He’s not perfect but he’s far from a weakness. 

FB652153-C754-4146-A7A2-BA9AC08A9612.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Storts said:

They’re not, he’s still a very good shot stopper. One of the best around. He’s not perfect but he’s far from a weakness. 

FB652153-C754-4146-A7A2-BA9AC08A9612.jpeg

Sounds like David Raya, made some silly mistakes but a great shot stopper and phenomenal ball playing skills to play out from the back

@Storts

Conte isn't new to the Premier League either, in his first season with us I think there was a significant period where the whole league was taken by surprise with his tactics and system but eventually after a while the league clocked on and our football became stale. After a while, I felt like I was watching the same thing on repeat. 

Ancelotti recently said that football nowadays has become a lot more organized and you won't see a better example than a Conte team. Players are given very specific instructions, what to do with the ball, where to be and it's a system that works like clockwork. For certain players Luiz, Christensen, Alonso, Moses etc it's great as it gives them a clear role and they believe in it and it takes their performances up a few levels. This will be great for a lot of those Spurs players as well particularly after being with Mourinho.

In saying that though the Premier League has seen his system before. When he first properly introduced his system at Chelsea I remember thinking it was some of the best football I've ever seen but in fact, it was just the same playing patterns over and over, with bits of individual brilliance here and there. It was perhaps brilliant to watch because it was extremely effective. After a while though, everything became a bit too choreographed, unoriginal and rigid, there was little improvisation and inventiveness. The players were solely a product of the system and depended heavily on it. The principle of playing out the back is there but after a while teams used to just press higher and clog up the system which made things more complicated. If you were pissed off with Mourinho for being too conservative, Conte is the same, particularly in the bigger games. I was extremely annoyed at the way we went out in the Champions League (a competition he's awful in) to Barcelona where we were too negative and I remember home games against the likes of Bournemouth where we would play like the underdog and give up possession. Playing conservative football isn't a problem if you can see it's effective but after a while, I used to just get pissed off with our approach.

This is classic Conte and it's a move and playing pattern I must have watched over 1,000 times. xD

Tuchel and Conte implement the same system but different in execution. Tuchel looks to take initiative by controlling the game via possession whereas Conte is reactive and looks for the opposition to make a mistake. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Conte will bankrupt Spurs. His salary will be more than the entirety of the squad. @Storts how tight is the salary budget right now?

Salary isn’t actually a problem anymore thankfully. We have the lowest wages to turnover in the league. The new stadium and commercial deals were all designed with this in mind so thankfully that’s the one aspect (all being well with Covid recovery) that shouldn’t be an issue.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Salary isn’t actually a problem anymore thankfully. We have the lowest wages to turnover in the league. The new stadium and commercial deals were all designed with this in mind so thankfully that’s the one aspect (all being well with Covid recovery) that shouldn’t be an issue.

Here is the thing though, he will want 10,000,000+ a season and will want a contract that ensures even if he leaves or gets fired he gets paid regardless. Does it to all his employers. He will throw and incredible tantrum and threaten the board the first moment he gets, he did at Juve, Chelsea, and Inter. While he is one of the best coaches in the world I'd be worried if I were you, because he tends to strangle the life out of everything with his demands and personality, he doesn't take 'no' for an answer.

Conte is a legend just for this.

I do think he's a horrible mix with Levy, tbh. It seems a bit of a short term route to trying to achieve success... which was sort of what was tried with Mourinho, but now the football won't be as stale. But I think Spurs do need some big investment on the player side of things as well, not just management changes. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, shut up said:

From an article published in February 2021...

image.thumb.png.72cef41ab35ea68d465b24a7ff830ce3.png

Lloris has got the odd howler in him but surely some of these stats are misleading on account of the fact that he's one of the only goalkeepers to have been a Premier League number one for that whole window of time so naturally has more errors to his name. Leno, Kepa, Alisson, Ederson, Mendy off the top of my head aren't comparable as they haven't all been around since 2016. Spurs will be looking to other areas before the goalkeeper I think.

Last one seems a bit of an odd sticking point. Sounds like this will probably go through but always a chance talks break down looking at the two sides involved.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Interestingly, this news coincides with the deadline for Tottenham Hotspur season tickets being the day before.

Levy is horrible honestly.

He's a joke.

He still lives in the noughties where Mourinho is still the world's greatest and where he thinks he's exceptionally clever by letting deals go all the way to deadline day where he can bully money off the other team to get a player "on the cheap" with no idea that this is not how football actually works now, nobody is intimidated by him and you actually get what you pay for. We actually could have had Ruben Diaz, Bruno Fernandes and Jack Grealish if he hadn't had this attitude. The first two of these players are playing a big role in why the two Manchester clubs have overtaken and moved about a thousand miles ahead of us in the last three or four years.

The entire Conte thing is a joke. I would have loved to have seen him manage Spurs but is anyone seriously telling me that one of the so-called biggest clubs in the world, that thinks it's entitled to be part of the European elite, failed to do any kind of due diligence whatsoever on a manager? He's one of the most well-known managers in the world and everyone knows that he demands money to buy established players to win things now. Even winning things now often isn't enough for him if it's not carried on either, see how he acted at Chelsea and Inter. The club actually went in, tipped off the media, tipped off Spurs following journalists that it was basically done and they're acting shocked, surprised and embarrassed that he's demanded what he's demanded from every club in his career?

They are either stupid or dishonest and neither is a good look. Ali Gold saying that insiders at the club wanted Nagelsmann after Poch was sacked but were overruled due to Levy's obsession with Jose is just the icing on the cake.

A complete shambles. We don't deserve fans.

Problem for Tottenham is whoever they do get now are essentially third choice at best, could even be less.

You know Spurs would have loved Poch but they couldn't do it.

You know they wanted Conte but it inevitably broke down.

Nagelsmann and Ten Haag were non starters and out of reach.

The options are dwindling. It makes you wonder whether they are just gonna panic themselves into a situation where they just take Nuno before Everton or Palace do a deal.

Spurs don’t deserve Poch back tbh, not the fans but Levy. Don’t back him financially, sack him after a dodgy spell that is not improved by their new manager and then go out and financially back him after. Levy’s a muppet for letting Poch go

• The title was changed to Tottenham Next Manager Search Over - Nuno Santo Hired

Archived