talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Best Ever Champions League Final

football forum

• Administrator

In anticipation of tomorrow's final CL game of this season, what has been the best final you've watched, or even experienced live if you've been lucky enough to get to one!

The two that clearly stand out for me are obviously Bayern Munich 1-2 Man Utd in 1999, and then only 6 years later, Liverpool's epic comeback & penalties win vs Milan after trailing 3-0 at HT. 

What others stand out for you? Barcelona's Wembley triumph in 2011 over Man Utd? 

Perhaps shortly before those it was Ajax's youthful victory over Milan in 1995 or that losing side's 4-0 win over Barcelona only a year before...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

From an entertainment perspective, it's 2005's easy.

One of those ‘where were you’ moments. I was babysitting as a 13 year old, thinking I stood a chance with the woman I was babysitting for. I’ve seen her recently and realised I was just a blind horny kid xD

I recall 99 and my old man going wild. 

2005 was special man, it really was. Gerrard is such an inspirational human being, it’s been a pleasure as a neutral to see him take that into management. Such an inspirational figure. Love seeing him and Lampard manage now, and I want them both to do well. Without Gerrard you’d never have come back to win, take any other player away from that 11 and you cannot say the same. 

From a bias perspective I enjoyed watching the greatest club side of all time dominate in 2009 and 2011.

14 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

One of those ‘where were you’ moments. I was babysitting as a 13 year old, thinking I stood a chance with the woman I was babysitting for. I’ve seen her recently and realised I was just a blind horny kid xD

I recall 99 and my old man going wild. 

2005 was special man, it really was. Gerrard is such an inspirational human being, it’s been a pleasure as a neutral to see him take that into management. Such an inspirational figure. Love seeing him and Lampard manage now, and I want them both to do well. Without Gerrard you’d never have come back to win, take any other player away from that 11 and you cannot say the same. 

From a bias perspective I enjoyed watching the greatest club side of all time dominate in 2009 and 2011.

I think Hamann's contribution to that night is often overlooked, he probably should have started instead of the perennial sicknote Harry Kewell But yeah, no way we win that without Stevie. Also Dudek giving the wobbly legs so Stevie wouldn't have to take the last penalty... was good shit

The problem with this question is it's pretty unanimous unless you are biased.

People like to be a bit different but given many have been tightly contested borefests, you just cannot overlook an underdog coming back from 3-0 down at half time to win it on penalties against the calibre of that Milan team. It was the dream final and no one, absolutely no one, was short changed.

Second best final though without a doubt was Dortmund beating Juve 3-1. They were massive underdogs against a quality Juventus side who were looking for back to back titles.

Dortmund took a flying start and went 2-0 up early doors to Riedle goals.

I always remember one of the greatest subs in football, Lars Ricken, coming on at 2-1 and within 16 seconds, he runs through and scores a delightful chip over Peruzzi to seal it.

And the final was in Munich too. Great scenes with the Dortmund fans.

Archived