talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Annual Next Everton Manager Thread - Rafa Benitez Hired

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Benitez now appears to be off. A relief from a pure footballing perspective because I just think it was the worst possible fit all round for the club we're trying to become and the added Liverpool connections would have decimated the patience shown by the fanbase, to put it lightly.

The whole episode reflects incredibly poorly on our decision-making process though. Absolutely no indication that a thorough process of weighing up pros and cons has been followed on this one. If you're not aware of what the fan reaction is going to be as an Everton board employing a significant former Liverpool manager then what are you actually aware of? I'm not happy that the only thing that put a stop to this is the fan reaction and the banners outside the stadium. Not the fact that he hasn't been a top level manager for a long time, he has a history of disruptive relationships with the board and is being asked to work under a director of football, he's not known for playing particularly progressive football, etc. While I think the fans should have a voice on the club's direction, it's not a good look for it to be widely reported that a manager 'has the job' only for the owner to essentially bottle it because the fans kicked off a bit. It starts to look like he has to get the permission of the fanbase to choose a manager.

When Martinez, Koeman, Silva, Ancelotti were all appointed, you could see reasons for optimism even if some of those appointments split opinion. With Benitez, there just wasn't any redeeming features in the context of the football club and the point he's at in his career. I'm glad it's not going true if the rumours are correct on that, but christ alive, how can our recruitment process be so poor that the fans had to swoop in and put a stop to it at the eleventh hour?

If they had gone for Potter straight away it could have been played as the shrewd, low-profile option. The club choosing to give up on big names and short-termism. 

But having spent the last few months seemingly chasing big names, it would now look like a panic move. 

Ooof can we please stop quoting The Sun with our Twitter.

I don’t like the Daily Mail at all, but if we quote them that’s fine imo. But quoting The Sun is really really unpalatable to me & I think probably at least a few members on here.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

A third party source. I'll have a word.

Fair enough, wasn’t aware we had one, in all honesty. 

Can appreciate others on here wouldn’t want to be linked to The Sun, which is fair. 

What’s the purpose of the Twitter account anyway, out of interest? It looks like the BBC Sport Gossip column in Twitter form, really. 

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Fair enough, wasn’t aware we had one, in all honesty. 

Can appreciate others on here wouldn’t want to be linked to The Sun, which is fair. 

What’s the purpose of the Twitter account anyway, out of interest? It looks like the BBC Sport Gossip column in Twitter form, really. 

To direct traffic to the site so we keep getting new members.

Because really as an internet forum we're competing against the likes of reddit and other shit like that (Twitter too, even) - so we've got to be able to utilise social media to compete against it so we can keep the community growing and keep these forums alive and active.

I've got no issue with us having a twitter - I think it's a smart way to advertise forums which tbh are old school as fuck. My only issue with it really was the sun being quoted - and that's been taken care of thanks to @The Palace Fan talking with that 3rd party.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To direct traffic to the site so we keep getting new members.

Because really as an internet forum we're competing against the likes of reddit and other shit like that (Twitter too, even) - so we've got to be able to utilise social media to compete against it so we can keep the community growing and keep these forums alive and active.

I've got no issue with us having a twitter - I think it's a smart way to advertise forums which tbh are old school as fuck. My only issue with it really was the sun being quoted - and that's been taken care of thanks to @The Palace Fan talking with that 3rd party.

Does it bring much traffic in, in the format it’s used in, out of interest? I had a quick look and there’s very few direct links to this place beside the header itself, that’s why I’m asking really. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Sun is really really unpalatable to me & I think probably at least a few members on here.

Yep, and I am one of them                                                                                            9_9

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Does it bring much traffic in, in the format it’s used in, out of interest? I had a quick look and there’s very few direct links to this place beside the header itself, that’s why I’m asking really. 

I think it's brought in more traffic since we've started using it than when we didn't have it

Archived