The better place to talk football.

Annual Next Everton Manager Thread - Rafa Benitez Hired

• Subscriber

So much for having a summer off Everton. Names touted so far include:

David Moyes

Nuno Espirito Santo

Eddie Howe

Graham Potter

It is not an exaggeration to say that right now, I don't really care who we get. What's important is that the Director of Football takes/is given the responsibility to implement this apparent long-term philosophy that he's here to implement. Depending on what that philosophy actually is, the manager should fit the mould. No more jumping from the expansive Martinez to the tedious Koeman to the pragmatic Allardyce to the progressive but organised Silva to the pragmatic tactician Ancelotti. Moyes is too much of a step back. Santo would be okay, I felt he was overrated for a time but I think his 'sacking' from Wolves was a bit harsh this year. Howe would be okay but not really going to take us to the next level. Potter would probably be my first choice of this bunch.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really shocked, simply because I didn't hear a single rumour about this happening.

The fact this is happening so quickly too suggests to me that there is a big enough part of Everton prepared to let him go. Either that or Ancelotti has gone in and made it crystal clear he wants the Madrid job.

I hear the shouts for Potter and I think he'd be a better fit at Everton than say Spurs, but that being said, you can't help but feel it could fall to Howe now the Celtic move doesn't appear to be happening.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm really shocked, simply because I didn't hear a single rumour about this happening.

The fact this is happening so quickly too suggests to me that there is a big enough part of Everton prepared to let him go. Either that or Ancelotti has gone in and made it crystal clear he wants the Madrid job.

I hear the shouts for Potter and I think he'd be a better fit at Everton than say Spurs, but that being said, you can't help but feel it could fall to Howe now the Celtic move doesn't appear to be happening.

The latter, for me. No disrespect to Everton but no sane person or manager of his quality stays at Everton when Real Madrid come calling for you again.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

The latter, for me. No disrespect to Everton but no sane person or manager of his quality stays at Everton when Real Madrid come calling for you again.

Not sure any sane manager goes to Real these days. Joke of a club.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Not sure any sane manager goes to Real these days. Joke of a club.

But when you compare it to Everton - who aren't really doing much - is it that much of a choice?

Just now, Stan said:

But when you compare it to Everton - who aren't really doing much - is it that much of a choice?

I’d take it just because he’ll probably be getting paid more and even getting sacked from Real Madrid is a decent payout.

I think it’s a shit time to manage Madrid though. Expectation will be high but finances are probably the weakest they’ve been since General Franco kicked the bucket.

I think Potter or Nuno are the better managers on that list of 3. So I hope it’s Eddie Howe.

• Subscriber

Fans are split at the moment but Duncan Ferguson isn't in the discussion, I can assure you of that.

Knowing Moshiri, he will probably try and go for Conte first and either tempt him by paying him what we're paying Ancelotti or preferably give up, back off, and let the Director of Football direct some football.

There is literally no point in having a director of football if you employ characters like Carlo Ancelotti who quite rightly demand a huge amount of respect based on previous achievements. 

The list of candidates isn't exactly exciting for a club of Everton's prestige but it doesn't need to be exciting if they're looking to implement the DoF model.

• Subscriber

I'm really torn on Graham Potter. I've always had a lot of respect for him because he really did do it an unorthodox way and proved himself with a really small club, making them better than anybody could've imagined.

But with Brighton, I'm just torn. Are they unlucky or is there a flaw in the system? I don't think they're overachieving or underachieving at this point. His league finishes with them wouldn't really inspire me. I think it'd be interesting if he went to Everton but it would be a gamble.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They should just appoint Duncan Ferguson

Aye, that guy is Everton through and through, if the likes of Lampard, Arteta or Gerrard can become managers why not Big Dunc? I reckon he would do well and would scare the shite out of the players behind closed doors if they did not toe the line. 

I’ve not checked any odds or read much about whose linked with Everton but I can guarantee the list will include the current flavours of the month (Cooper and Potter), a few people with tenuous links to Everton (Ferguson, Moyes, Martinez, Rooney) and some out of work managers who’ve recently worked in the Premier League (Nuno, Mourinho, Howe, Lampard). 

After going pretty big and getting Ancelotti after the unmitigated disaster of Silva, you’re going to expect the same standard of appointment at Everton, surely? I can’t see them taking a chance on Potter in the hope that it’s Neal Maupay’s fault that Brighton are shit and not Potter’s but equally I can’t really see them being able to tempt a Conte or whoever to the club this summer. 

Galtier, who has just left Lille?

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve not checked any odds or read much about whose linked with Everton but I can guarantee the list will include the current flavours of the month (Cooper and Potter), a few people with tenuous links to Everton (Ferguson, Moyes, Martinez, Rooney) and some out of work managers who’ve recently worked in the Premier League (Nuno, Mourinho, Howe, Lampard). 

After going pretty big and getting Ancelotti after the unmitigated disaster of Silva, you’re going to expect the same standard of appointment at Everton, surely? I can’t see them taking a chance on Potter in the hope that it’s Neal Maupay’s fault that Brighton are shit and not Potter’s but equally I can’t really see them being able to tempt a Conte or whoever to the club this summer. 

Galtier, who has just left Lille?

Gone to Nice hasnt he? 

• Subscriber

It's impossible to say who we should go for, because we should go for the person best placed to deliver on the next phase of the club's long term plan, and it's impossible to say what the club's long term plan is, or even whether there is one. That's what it boils down to.

Archived