• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 1-0 Romania - Sunday 6th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Grealish standing out again and Ward-Prowse has played well. Overall though another instance of an international friendly where players who don't play together that much aren't on the same wavelength all the time. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Grealish standing out again and Ward-Prowse has played well. Overall though another instance of an international friendly where players who don't play together that much aren't on the same wavelength all the time. 

Mings is a big liability though.

• Administrator

Henderson on.

Really hope he doesn't get injured. 

I know it might not just be Southgate making the decision - sometimes a player coming back from injury makes that decision too as they're the only ones that properly know their body and if they feel fit enough. Hope it's not a needless risk that doesn't pay off.

• The title was changed to England 1-0 Romania - Sunday 6th June, 2021
  • Subscriber
Just now, RandoEFC said:

That's not great from Henderson as captain if he took it off Calvert-Lewin. More important for strikers to find the net in the run up to a tournament and it's saved anyway.

Remember when Liverpool fans used to bang on about how unselfish he is, what a great captain etc, Kane a disgrace. That was awful from Hendo taking that pen off DCL looking for some personal glory. After his miss in the shootout in 2018 should be nowhere near them 

Anyone get annoyed with the way in which friendly games are refereed at times?

We’ve been constantly cynically fouled over these two games, Grealish receiving the brunt of it. The leniency in friendlies with bookings is annoying at times, as the Austrian and Romanian players have just clocked up fouls in both games as they have known they can get away with it.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's not great from Henderson as captain if he took it off Calvert-Lewin. More important for strikers to find the net in the run up to a tournament and it's saved anyway.

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Remember when Liverpool fans used to bang on about how unselfish he is, what a great captain etc, Kane a disgrace. That was awful from Hendo taking that pen off DCL looking for some personal glory. After his miss in the shootout in 2018 should be nowhere near them 

All for some personal glory to get his first England goal, as well. I think it was quite poor of a captain to do that considering Calvert-Lewin had already grabbed the ball, too.

It's a bit unprofessional.

• Administrator

Apart from about 10-15mins towards the end of the game, that was a bit painful to watch. Worse than the Austria game, I reckon.

Grealish and Johnstone were our best players. I know it's still a bit disjointed but I still expected far more from this England side against one that's not even going to the Euros.

What's even more concerning is that none of the Man City/Chelsea contingent have had any playing time with any other players before next Sunday's game. Partly out of England's/Southgate's control because of when the CL final was, but it's not great preparation for the tournament anyway.

• Subscriber

A bit underwhelming overall. My biggest takeaway from that is just how sad it is that so many England fans at the game booed the taking of the knee at kickoff. I understand that it looks increasingly like an empty gesture but the players are choosing to do it in solidarity and when you see the vitriol that some of them still receive on social media, and there's a new example every week nowadays, I don't see why it's so hard to just show some respect for 10 seconds. And for what? At worst, those booing are actually against equality and solidarity. At best, they're pretending to believe that footballers are showing their support for Marxism (or something?) in spite of the fact that the manager had to come out and explicitly clarify this week that taking the knee has nothing to do with the BLM organisation and is purely a gesture of solidarity against racial abuse and inequality - most of them couldn't tell you what Marxism is and none of them can point to a real example of how it threatens them, their lives or their loved ones in any way whatsoever. I can't help but despair.

Anyway, yeah. Like I said in the last match thread and this one, I don't know that the use of so many players who won't be starting regularly in the tournament, or even going at all, was the best way to use these preparation games.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apart from about 10-15mins towards the end of the game, that was a bit painful to watch. Worse than the Austria game, I reckon.

Grealish and Johnstone were our best players. I know it's still a bit disjointed but I still expected far more from this England side against one that's not even going to the Euros.

What's even more concerning is that none of the Man City/Chelsea contingent have had any playing time with any other players before next Sunday's game. Partly out of England's/Southgate's control because of when the CL final was, but it's not great preparation for the tournament anyway.

Kane’s only had 45 mins too which is absolutely baffling 

If Pickford is number one he should have played both games 

I'd go something like this. I know some of these players haven't played in the friendlies and there are some question marks over their fitness.

However, at least the back three would give us some sort of solidarity and tactical discipline.  We were carved apart by Austria and Romania at times. What would it be like at a major tournament?

Pickford 

Walker   Stones   Maguire 

James         Rice   Bellingham       Chilwell

Foden            Grealish

Kane

• The topic was unpinned

Archived