talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ruben Neves Linked With Arsenal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF Arsenal sign Neves for £30m or more and do lose out on Buendia to Villa, they have massively fucked up for me.

Neves is a glorified steady eddie with the odd long range goal here or there.

Buendia has so much more to offer. Infact, I think I'd find it hilarious.

Neves is a good player but he's not developed into the brilliant player we all thought he was going to be. 

Maybe a step up in club could do that for him. Whatever people say about Arsenal, they are still a huge club and they are in rebuild. He could do really well there. 

47 minutes ago, Lucas said:

IF Arsenal sign Neves for £30m or more and do lose out on Buendia to Villa, they have massively fucked up for me.

Different players, no?

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Different players, no?

Oh yes. Different players of course.

But I think Arsenal are more in need of a Buendia than they are a Neves. Always looked short of creativity for me this season.

Buendia seems to have been a long term target and you'd see him really flourishing there, yet to quibble over £30m when you'd be prepared to splash that and more on Ruben Neves seems an odd move for me.

But different strokes for different folks.

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Oh yes. Different players of course.

But I think Arsenal are more in need of a Buendia than they are a Neves. Always looked short of creativity for me this season.

Buendia seems to have been a long term target and you'd see him really flourishing there, yet to quibble over £30m when you'd be prepared to splash that and more on Ruben Neves seems an odd move for me.

But different strokes for different folks.

Feel like they’re in need of a Neves type player more than Buendia, they’ve got attacking midfielders in Pepe, Smith-Rowe and Saka

The Xhaka rumor thread was shut so I'll put it here for now. Pretty much looks like he is a dead cert to leave now. Interesting to know his reasoning, but it isn't a lot of money especially as he'll need replacing. 

Not sure Neves is better I would say he isn't, but there is a player in there even though he wasn't hat good last season. I think he'd be worth a gamble at around at £30m because he does have quality. Just not sure selling Xhaka for around £15m and then splashing £40m on Neves makes any sense though. 

On 06/06/2021 at 21:23, Lucas said:

Neves wouldn't be are alternative to Buendia, I expect us to definitely sign a creative midfielder. Neves seems to be viewed as a Xhaka replacement. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

The Xhaka rumor thread was shut so I'll put it here for now. Pretty much looks like he is a dead cert to leave now. Interesting to know his reasoning, but it isn't a lot of money especially as he'll need replacing. 

Not sure Neves is better I would say he isn't, but there is a player in there even though he wasn't hat good last season. I think he'd be worth a gamble at around at £30m because he does have quality. Just not sure selling Xhaka for around £15m and then splashing £40m on Neves makes any sense though. 

Neves wouldn't be are alternative to Buendia, I expect us to definitely sign a creative midfielder. Neves seems to be viewed as a Xhaka replacement. 

Yeah Neves is definitely more of a defensive/central midfielder as opposed to someone with a lot of creativity. And of course the long-shots he's famed for but it'd be unfair to say that's all he is good for.

I think it's a good signing for Arsenal. Wolves as a team suffered last season so it's a bit of a write-off and not representative of anyone individually. I think it's a decent signing for Arsenal. Especially as he's only 24 so has age on his side. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah Neves is definitely more of a defensive/central midfielder as opposed to someone with a lot of creativity. And of course the long-shots he's famed for but it'd be unfair to say that's all he is good for.

I think it's a good signing for Arsenal. Wolves as a team suffered last season so it's a bit of a write-off and not representative of anyone individually. I think it's a decent signing for Arsenal. Especially as he's only 24 so has age on his side. 

I mean 4 years experience of English football is nothing to scoff at. He has always been a level above what Wolves were until last season, maybe he has just run his course there. I think he could go up a level with a new challenge, although knowing us and Arteta he'll be bang average. xD

This whole saga baffles me a little. It feels like teams shaking things up for the sake of doing so.

Whilst Granit Xhaka hasn't been the leader many would have hoped when he first arrived, he seems to have found a role under Mikel Arteta which enables Arsenal to progress play from the first phase onwards. Not only would that role need replacing if he were to leave, but they also need replacing Dani Ceballos who has returned to Real Madrid. With just Thomas Partey able to function as a traditional CM/DM they seem very light in that department without Granit Xhaka given that Emile Smith-Rowe and Joe Willock have shown to be useful in a more advanced role. Arsenal essentially may need Ruben Neves and another even if Ainsley Maitland-Niles was to stay another year as a cover player regardless of his wishes to play elsewhere.

As for Wolves, I honestly have them in a category now with Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Southampton as sides that could easily capitulate next season which felt unthinkable 12 months ago. Everything that was good about them appears to have gone. Rui Patricio and Joao Moutinho are now old, their center backs need freshening up or replacing, Semedo and Ait-Nouri have failed to replace Doherty and Johnny, Dendoncker has under performed, Jota has gone, Adama isn't as effective as he once was, Nuno has gone and Raul Jimenez may not be the same player. They're in a big rebuild phase at the minute with a small squad and nobody seems to be acknowledging it.

It may be that the class of Pedro Neto is good enough to spear them in to a new direction whilst the likes of Fabio Silva, Owen Otasowe and new arrivals this summer improve but it's going to be fascinating to see exactly how much of their fast rise was down to them building a sustainable legacy or just a golden team lead by the right manager for that short period.

The one good thing this deal does for Arsenal is provides sell on value, if Neves really hits his best form then Arsenal either keep him and push up with him or they make money from selling him...something they can't do with Xhaka or Ceballos.

Archived