talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group A) Turkey 0-3 Italy - Friday 11th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italy have dominated Turkey, but I don't really think that the score-line is too surprising. Turkey have drawn with the likes of Latvia and Guinea recently in friendlies in Turkey. While they lost 2-0 to Hungary away in a competitive match at the end of last year. Playing away in Rome against Italy was always going to be a hard task for the Turks. But we can't take anything away from Italy, as they played some very good football tonight, especially in the 2nd half.

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Turkey were 8/1 to win on SkyBet, so threw a fiver on it. I can't see them beating Italy, but as they're dark horses you never know (plus the opening game always seems to throw up surprises, like Senegal in 2002). Turkey are insanely good defensively, so if they nick a goal could get over the line... 

I put a fiver on Turkey as well. xD Ah well. They started off well defensively. But once Italy broke through and Turkey had to open up a bit, it was all over. 

I was very impressed by Italy. I always though they'd get to the quarter-finals, but now think they're definite contenders. 

I still think Turkey will have enough about them to get out of the group. Their game plan was obviously to play for the point so when they conceded they didn't really have a plan B. 

I also thought the referee had an excellent game. Let the game flow and didn't fall for any of the playacting. 

• Subscriber

Italy were just so much better in every single department. I'm surprised quite how poor Turkey actually were in the end. Can't list a single positive from their performance.

35 minutes ago, Michael said:

Italy have dominated Turkey, but I don't really think that the score-line is too surprising. Turkey have drawn with the likes of Latvia and Guinea recently in friendlies in Turkey. While they lost 2-0 to Hungary away in a competitive match at the end of last year. Playing away in Rome against Italy was always going to be hard task for the Turks. But we can't take anything away from Italy, as they played some very good football tonight, especially in the 2nd half.

@MUFC

• Administrator

Turkey were shit but a lot of credit must be given to Italy. Their mindset was full on positive and offensive. Constantly pressing Turkey in to their own half, preying on their weaker players. Constantly in their faces and Turkey had no outlet. Barely saw Yilmaz have a touch especially in the 2nd half. Italy were persistent in their press and play and carved out several opportunities. It says a lot when 3-0 flatters the losing team.

I don't think Turkey will be that bad again, mind. Wales and Switzerland will be totally different propositions and definitely scope for points in both games. Italy's home advantage could have had some part to play in tonight's result. 

I'm really surprised how quickly Turkey folded after conceding one goal. Plenty of time for them to turn it round but what a confidence that is for Immobile and Italy going forward. There were big questions how they'll cope against modest competition and once they got a route through they took full advantage.

Turkey weren't as good as I thought they'd be and Italy were a lot better than I thought they'd be. Would've been interesting how things would've gone if Turkey didn't score against themselves.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived