• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group B) - Denmark 0-1 Finland - Saturday 12th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was interesting.... 

Former goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel claims Denmark’s players did not want to restart their Euro 2020 game against Finland after Christian Eriksen’s cardiac arrest.

Schmeichel, father of Leicester and Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he did not think the players had a choice.

When asked if it was the players’ decision for the game to be restarted after Eriksen had been taken to hospital, Schmeichel said: “Well that’s an interesting debate.

“I actually saw an official quote from Uefa yesterday saying that they were following the advice of the player, the players insisted on playing – I know that not to be the truth. Or, it’s how you see the truth. They were left with three options, one was to play immediately and get the last 50 minutes played.

“The next one was to come in yesterday at 12 noon and finish the 50 minutes and the third option was to forfeit the game, 3-0. So work it out for yourself. Is it the players’ wish to play? Did they have any choice really? I don’t think they had.

“As you can hear from yesterday’s press conference, the coach, he seriously regrets putting the players back on to the pitch.”

UEFA haven't covered themselves in glory here but in light of what actually happened I can't think of a solution which would have been fair. 

Personally think Denmark showed incredible strength to come back out on to the field but in hindsight maybe they should have slept on it and forfeit the game. When you consider the level of shock that went into the viewing audience it must have been that times x100 for the players, your friend, your teammate it's almost like a brotherhood.

Some of those guys might wanna speak to someone professionally about the shock of it all, the images are still pretty shocking in my head now so I couldn't dream of what it must have been like to be there blocking out the camera's. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived