talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) England 1-0 Croatia - Sunday 13th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough opening game (I presume, I've not actually seen Croatia play since WC '18, are they by any chance crap now? Because that would be great from our point of view). 

Think Southgate will be too tempted to play defensively and, seeing as a draw would be a reasonably good result from a Croatia perspective, I can see this ending goalless. 

Croatia obviously produced unbelievable players but they have had periods over the last 20 years where they've been pretty average so given Modric is 35 years of age and Perisic isn't a spring chicken I'd imagine we've got them at a good time. 

That being said they will be extremely well organised and I'd imagine in typical England style we will make a right mess of it. 

This is an aged Croatia side who have struggled for results since the World Cup, we are a side with a pretty good attack and a lacklustre midfield and defence. Would anticipate Croatia to control the flow of the game whilst we try and hit them on the counter.

Croatia lost 5 of their 6 nations league games this season, got beat by Slovenia in a World Cup qualifier and drew with Armenia just over a week ago.

This isn't the 2018 vintage (Maybe I'm just hoping there aren't great...) But they shouldn't be a serious contender in this tournament. 

If that is true, what would be the logic behind playing a RB at LB when we have Shaw and Chilwell?

I'd be pretty chuffed if Foden starts, i'm not so fussed on Sterling. Very tough on Grealish that.

• Administrator

Really don't understand the defensive choice there to play Trippier left back. Not heard anything regarding Shaw or Chilwell not being fit. It doesn't make sense. 

I'd also have Grealish instead of Sterling. He'd performed well in friendlies and has that feistiness to get at defenders and win free kicks in dangerous positions. Not to mention comfortable on the ball and very direct. I hope Sterling has a good game nevertheless. 

Don’t get Trippier but otherwise seems like a decent line up from what’s available, Sterling in clearly because we lack players who can run in behind which will give Kane the opportunity to drop deep if needed

• Subscriber

The England squad has so much attacking potential. There'll never be a better opportunity for England to win a major competition. I feel like this tournament is wide open.

I really hope he doesn't use negative tactics like wing backs and 3 CB's. 4 at the back will give a more balanced side, I hope he doesn't deploy negative shit bag tactics. 

It might be a tournament or so too early, but this is the best, most exciting England team I can remember. I'd put them above the 2004 side when the Beckham, Neville, Owen generation overlapped with Rooney, Terry, etc.

It's just a shame we don't have a manager skilled or progressive enough to make it work. Hopefully by the time this generation is a little older we have someone better, but I can't see who that's going to be

2 minutes ago, shut up said:

The LB selection is a bit weird but no idea why people are crying about Sancho for, he's done nothing in an England shirt to warrant taking Saka or Grealish's place on the bench. 

It’s more of the fact he doesn’t make the bench. That’s just stupid. 

Trippier at LB really sums up Southgate as a manager. What an absolute bastard. 

1 minute ago, shut up said:

It's not stupid. He's had 20 caps for england and done nothing in those games really (played ok against kosovo) . I wouldn't swap any of those players on the bench for Sancho

I agree, the kid is all hype at the minute

• The topic was unpinned

Archived