• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic Hire Ange Postecoglou as New Manager

football forum

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing news for Ange and Australia… heard his interview. Hopefully does us all proud. What he will bring is his philosophy and he won’t change that for anyone…hopefully gets off to a good start and fans and board back him. 

With about five weeks before their season starts, within arguably some of their most important games all season in the Champions League qualifiers, it's not as if he even has a squad to choose from for that game. Quite a number of their players have been playing non-stop since last August, and are still away now for Euro 2020. And that's before you get to the players who are more than likely going to leave this summer.

Édouard and Ajer are almost certainly away and seem likely to be heading south to the EPL. Ntcham and Christie are both going into the final year of their contracts, with Ntcham already spending the second half of last season on loan at Marseille. So would expect them to be required to be sold. Bolingoli, unless a dramatic u-turn, is almost certainly not wanted at the club. 

Jack Hendry didn't seem like he had a future at Celtic but seemed to have impressed people during his loan move to Belgium last season. And with Celtic short of almost any centre backs, they might have to rely on him this season. This just reinforces how bad a decision it was to bring in Shane Duffy last season, instead of a younger long term solution.

Not sure what the plans for Nir Bitton and Tom Rogic are, as they both seemed completely out of favour last season. Rogic, having played for Postecoglou before, might be revived a little but David Turnbull would probably still be the favourite for an attacking midfield role. And who knows how much Leigh Griffiths can be relied on. Seemed to be some suggestion that he may follow Scott Brown out of the club, but is still there for now.

As it stands right now, they have some gaping holes to fill in their squad. I'm not even sure they have a right-back other than Anthony Ralston, who is Championship standard at best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

If fan media is the 'future', I think there's still a long way to go...

That's weird. You can tell Ange is just like 'when will this guy shut up and get his tongue out my arse?' 

This is my guy, he was the bloke coaching brisbane when they were invincible, I still remember the hype around the team t the time it was a real buzz. I can still feel the roar of the crowd from caxton just when I lived around the corner

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 07:47, Spike said:

This is my guy, he was the bloke coaching brisbane when they were invincible, I still remember the hype around the team t the time it was a real buzz. I can still feel the roar of the crowd from caxton just when I lived around the corner

I recall going to our tour of duty in Brisbane in 2011 I think it was, and after our 4-0 loss (we played them again in the final thst season but let’s not chat about that haha), the next day we needed to fly out but had time to check out the youth team game before we left. I couldn’t see one senior glory staff there…but who walked past and stopped for a chat and watched the youth team? Big Ange. Hope he does well. 

• 1 month later...

Meh. The Tony Mac is a brutal place to go anyway, sold two of the best attackers in the team, two of the other most important players are out, half the squad has been tipped upside down, etc.

This season has mostly been a story of Ange struggling to fix existing problems, as opposed to anything really being a result of his mis-steps. At least he's given a view of what the team could do. And Rangers also do not look anywhere near their level from last season, which means the situation isn't hopeless yet.

Most young fans seem to be pretty supportive, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost the backing of the old school Celtic Da crowd.

Every time they see an underlapping full-back, or the team leaving itself 2 vs 2 on the counter, a good few of them probably take an aneurysm. 

13 hours ago, Rab said:

Celtic fans calling for him to be sacked already.

He's a "give him time" managerial appointment.

His standard approach of how things usually go for him would be "slow start, with a decent second half of the season. Massive improvement in second season and beyond".

I'm torn here because I want Gerrard to have a great managerial career but think Ange will 100% flip the axis to Celtic in his second season.

• 4 months later...
On 20/09/2021 at 21:27, Harry said:

He's a "give him time" managerial appointment.

His standard approach of how things usually go for him would be "slow start, with a decent second half of the season. Massive improvement in second season and beyond".

I'm torn here because I want Gerrard to have a great managerial career but think Ange will 100% flip the axis to Celtic in his second season.

Appears he’s doing it a bit quicker! But you’re spot on. Gerrard ran scared ;) 

I think the younger more open-minded fans have pretty much always had patience with him, but I think the amazing thing is that he's also won over the old school Celtic Da crowd.

He's a weird blend. He's very much a hipster tactician in terms of his system but he has the kinda salt-of-earth plain-speaking persona that old-fashioned British fans like.

It's no mean feat to get middle-aged Scottish men to accept their team getting transformed overnight into a team full of midgets playing with inverted wingbacks and an ultra-high line.

Archived