• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group E) - Spain 0-0 Sweden - Monday 14th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cicero said:

Enrique deserves to be sacked and banned from his own country for choosing Morata over Moreno. 

Biggest bottler in the history of the game for me. Worse than Torres. 

Yeah, he's never done it for me. Just no conviction in front of goal. Infact, you see all the Spain chances in that half, and this team is literally missing that clinicality David Villa had.

He surely has to turn to Moreno now. Man is on form and confident.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

7 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

Very poor from the keeper tho. Does he think he's a defender?

wrong thread ;) 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Enrique deserves to be sacked and banned from his own country for choosing Morata over Moreno. 

Biggest bottler in the history of the game for me. Worse than Torres. 

Higuain is the biggest bottler. 

• Administrator

Morata is infuriating to watch because even aside from the really, really bad misses, he doesn't exactly do much else apart from that. It's like the rest of the squad are all on the same wavelength working hard trying to create chances for him and he's just ambling about around the box. Then when the ball does come to him after all the team's hard work, he fails on the one job he needs to do.

Two chances now where you'd expect him to at the very bare minimum to hit the target. That first one was so, so easy for a chance at this level.

Been really impressed with the gangly Swedish striker up front, Isak.

Given the limited chances he's been fed, he has been a bloody handful and created havoc.

Premier League player in waiting.

Strikers will always get slaughtered for missing chances but a mate of mine made a good point recently on Morata. You can perhaps heavily forgive strikers for missing chances if you see them working hard and applying themselves in the right manner and a mate of mine said that's why Werner has never got the same level of criticism from Chelsea fans. Timo is adored by us because he's always working hard, Morata never had that same level of application on the pitch and his finishing was more of a problem because of that. Furthermore, as @Stan said and as I've said before on here over the years if Morata is not scoring and on form, he doesn't bring much else. You can perhaps justify playing him if he's on a hot streak and in form but apart from that his general hold-up play and other attributes are pretty weak as well. On the other hand, Werner's general play in terms of movement and work rate is very good for example.

Morata was never fully taken to by Chelsea fans because of his application and the fact that he spent a lot of time moaning to the media. Two strikers with similar circumstances over the years, have been Werner and Torres. Both had similar issues with finishing but they were very popular with fans due to the way they conducted themselves, Morata didn't conduct himself well at all. I'm not talking about mentality issues, I would never have a go at a player for lacking confidence or struggling mentally but I would for their application on the pitch and the way they handle themselves off it. Morata came across as a whiny child at times and that's why I eventually ended up lacking sympathy for him. Werner's and Torres general application on the pitch and what they said and how they came across off it, meant that among fans, Torres was one of the most popular players for us at the time and it's why Werner's name is heavily sung now.

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

How is Murphy trying to justify that Moreno miss being as bad as Morata's two xD 

Moreno glanced a header, Morata had an open shot at the goal. 

Morata is like Torres when he was declined. Garbage! 

6 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Strikers will always get slaughtered for missing chances but a mate of mine made a good point recently on Morata. You can perhaps heavily forgive strikers for missing chances if you see them working hard and applying themselves in the right manner and a mate of mine said that's why Werner has never got the same level of criticism from Chelsea fans. Timo is adored by us because he's always working hard, Morata never had that same level of application on the pitch and his finishing was more of a problem because of that. Furthermore, as @Stan said and as I've said before on here over the years if Morata is not scoring and on form, he doesn't bring much else. You can perhaps justify playing him if he's on a hot streak and in form but apart from that his general hold-up play and other attributes are pretty weak as well. On the other hand, Werner's general play in terms of movement and work rate is very good for example.

Morata was never fully taken to by Chelsea fans because of his application and the fact that he spent a lot of time moaning to the media. Two strikers with similar circumstances over the years, have been Werner and Torres. Both had similar issues with finishing but they were very popular with fans due to the way they conducted themselves, Morata didn't conduct himself well at all. I'm not talking about mentality issues, I would never have a go at a player for lacking confidence or struggling mentally but I would for their application on the pitch and the way they handle themselves off it. Morata came across as a whiny child at times and that's why I eventually ended up lacking sympathy for him. Werner's and Torres general application on the pitch and what they said and how they came across off it, meant that among fans, Torres was one of the most popular players for us at the time and it's why Werner's name is heavily sung now.

I really don't have any sympathy for Morata.

He's been at massive clubs... and I'm not sure his ability really reflects that he's ever belonged at these clubs. He's not a prolific striker, obviously, but as you say... if you can demonstrate being a well rounded player you can sometimes forgive a player for being whatever the opposite of clinical is. Look at Bobby Firmino, he's not the most prolific striker in the world but he's one of the most obviously important players we have at Liverpool because he does so much for us.

With Morata.. you get a striker that's bad at finishing, bad at hold-up play, shit work ethic, etc... and I just don't understand how he's STILL pretty highly regarded enough to play at clubs like Atletico or Juve & be the starting striker for Spain.

Even calling him "the Spanish Heskey" is an insult to Heskey, imo. Because Heskey might not have been prolific, but he'd work his arse off and was fucking great at hold-up play.

He's one of the most genuinely overrated players I've ever seen.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived