talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group E) - Spain 0-0 Sweden - Monday 14th June, 2021

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Lot of credit to Sweden but that was a painful second half from Spain.

Isak was great first half considering the little service he got.

Danielsson was probably my man of the match though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Do you reckon Spanish TV has shit pundits on our games like we do for their games? Do Javier Manquillo and Albert Crusat offer their insight on England in the Euros like Danny Murphy?

As far as I'm aware, you tend to get more journalists than ex-pros mate which some people would say means the level of insight is better. Even if you just look at the British journalists that comment on Spanish football such as Sid Lowe and Graham Hunter you can see a difference between them and some of the typical pundits you get on Sky Sports and BBC for example. You'd also have to take into account that the likes of Sid Lowe and Graham Hunter generally express and articulate themselves better, having more academic backgrounds.

A lot of Spanish football analysis is done on the radio late at night as well, there's less studio time and after some games (depending on the channel maybe), there could be little or no highlights of the game. If I had to choose the coverage I'd prefer, I'd say I prefer British football coverage but there are things Spain probably does better as well.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I really don't have any sympathy for Morata.

He's been at massive clubs... and I'm not sure his ability really reflects that he's ever belonged at these clubs. He's not a prolific striker, obviously, but as you say... if you can demonstrate being a well rounded player you can sometimes forgive a player for being whatever the opposite of clinical is. Look at Bobby Firmino, he's not the most prolific striker in the world but he's one of the most obviously important players we have at Liverpool because he does so much for us.

With Morata.. you get a striker that's bad at finishing, bad at hold-up play, shit work ethic, etc... and I just don't understand how he's STILL pretty highly regarded enough to play at clubs like Atletico or Juve & be the starting striker for Spain.

Even calling him "the Spanish Heskey" is an insult to Heskey, imo. Because Heskey might not have been prolific, but he'd work his arse off and was fucking great at hold-up play.

He's one of the most genuinely overrated players I've ever seen.

Did a good job of knocking you out of the Champions league last season. 😉

Agree with all your wrote above, he's always been incredibly average. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I really don't have any sympathy for Morata.

He's been at massive clubs... and I'm not sure his ability really reflects that he's ever belonged at these clubs. He's not a prolific striker, obviously, but as you say... if you can demonstrate being a well rounded player you can sometimes forgive a player for being whatever the opposite of clinical is. Look at Bobby Firmino, he's not the most prolific striker in the world but he's one of the most obviously important players we have at Liverpool because he does so much for us.

With Morata.. you get a striker that's bad at finishing, bad at hold-up play, shit work ethic, etc... and I just don't understand how he's STILL pretty highly regarded enough to play at clubs like Atletico or Juve & be the starting striker for Spain.

Even calling him "the Spanish Heskey" is an insult to Heskey, imo. Because Heskey might not have been prolific, but he'd work his arse off and was fucking great at hold-up play.

He's one of the most genuinely overrated players I've ever seen.

Werner's name has been sung constantly at Chelsea since the fans have been back. Werner's off-the-ball work was a massive weapon for us last season and one of the reasons why we ended the season so well. Torres' offered less perhaps in terms of general play but his application was a lot better than Morata's, Morata's biggest downfall was more his whinging in the media. Hate is too much of a strong word but Morata has been one of the players I've disliked most in my time of watching Chelsea.

Torres, Werner, and Morata.

All cost a lot of money, all have had similar finishing problems and media spotlight. Two are absolutely adored by Chelsea fans, one isn't. I think that says it all.

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Werner's name has been sung constantly at Chelsea since the fans have been back. Werner's off-the-ball work was a massive weapon for us last season and one of the reasons why we ended the season so well. Torres' offered less perhaps in terms of general play but his application was a lot better than Morata's, Morata's biggest downfall was more his whinging in the media. Hate is too much of a strong word but Morata has been one of the players I've disliked most in my time of watching Chelsea.

Torres, Werner, and Morata.

All cost a lot of money, all have had similar finishing problems and media spotlight. Two are absolutely adored by Chelsea fans, one isn't. I think that says it all.

I'm surprised Torres is adored by Chelsea fans - I was pleasantly surprised to see that we had managed to use almost every last drop of quality from him before selling him to you. He looked like a completely different player at Chelsea, even though I think signs of his decline were pretty visible during that half-season under Hodgson.

I think it would be hard for any fan of a club that Werner is at to hate him, just because he's not anywhere near as prolific as he was in Germany... because of exactly what you said. Whenever I've watched Chelsea this season, I've thought Werner's been great even when he's not got his shooting boots on. Every fan of every club wants to see their players work hard for the club. He does that.

And while Werner wasn't prolific, his attacking stats from this season aren't bad. They're not the greatest, sure, and probably not the sort of numbers you'd want to see from someone that expensive... but it's Chelsea, they can afford ridiculous fees. They've clearly got a very good player in Werner - whether or not he's prolific or not. It was also his first fucking year in England. I don't think it's an easy league to adjust to.

I'd take him every day over Morata without even thinking about it xD

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm surprised Torres is adored by Chelsea fans - I was pleasantly surprised to see that we had managed to use almost every last drop of quality from him before selling him to you. He looked like a completely different player at Chelsea, even though I think signs of his decline were pretty visible during that half-season under Hodgson.

I think it would be hard for any fan of a club that Werner is at to hate him, just because he's not anywhere near as prolific as he was in Germany... because of exactly what you said. Whenever I've watched Chelsea this season, I've thought Werner's been great even when he's not got his shooting boots on. Every fan of every club wants to see their players work hard for the club. He does that.

And while Werner wasn't prolific, his attacking stats from this season aren't bad. They're not the greatest, sure, and probably not the sort of numbers you'd want to see from someone that expensive... but it's Chelsea, they can afford ridiculous fees. They've clearly got a very good player in Werner - whether or not he's prolific or not. It was also his first fucking year in England. I don't think it's an easy league to adjust to.

I'd take him every day over Morata without even thinking about it xD

With Morata as well I don't know how he got to be rated so highly in the first place, was it a mixture of social media and other things? I don't know. He never even started consistently for Madrid and even Juventus if I remember correctly. It no surprise then to see him struggle to maintain a consistent place in the team wherever he's been, everyone's got fed up with him.

Torres, on the whole, was poor for us but he was adored and I can't remember the fans wanting a player to succeed as much as him. I remember when he finally scored his first goal and the stadium was electric, I think I was at the game and he suddenly he went through on goal and everyone was probably thinking this is the best chance he's going to get. For some reason though, the ball got held up in the rain (which is very rare coming to think about it) and it looked as if the chance had gone but he managed to rescue it and put the ball away. Fans went absolutely mental and they were some of the best celebrations from the fans I can remember at Stamford Bridge. The players went crazy as well.

I have to agree with many of the sentiments shown here, as Morata has to be one of the most overrated strikers of his generation. If I was the Spanish manager, I'd start Gerard Moreno over Morata any day of the week.

• Subscriber

When they look back at the game last night and the obvious missed chances they should really think twice about starting Morata. You want him maybe coming on to give some relief or as part of a rotation but Spain really don't need him to even play a game unless its a throw-away. They dont have that luxury anymore.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived