talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021/22 UEFA Champions League Qualifiers

It was always going to be a hard game, beating them with the players we have was doable although our fitness and concentration levels have been non-existent the last few games. Should get better with more games.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's four consecutive seasons now where no Scottish team will feature in the group stages of the Champions League.

That is the damning state of Scottish Football right now, the standard has significantly dropped.

I'm really surprised with Rangers, I thought they had turned the corner and raised the bar with their run in the Europa League last season. Whether it's complacency or not, that's a horrendous result tonight and shouldn't be sugar coated.

AEK Athens, Cluj, Ferencvaros and now Malmo. I mean, let's be honest, these are all teams that would get hammered in the group stages, if you can't get past them you'd have to question if you deserve to be in it anyway.

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

That's four consecutive seasons now where no Scottish team will feature in the group stages of the Champions League.

That is the damning state of Scottish Football right now, the standard has significantly dropped.

I'm really surprised with Rangers, I thought they had turned the corner and raised the bar with their run in the Europa League last season. Whether it's complacency or not, that's a horrendous result tonight and shouldn't be sugar coated.

AEK Athens, Cluj, Ferencvaros and now Malmo. I mean, let's be honest, these are all teams that would get hammered in the group stages, if you can't get past them you'd have to question if you deserve to be in it anyway.

I wouldn't completely judge Scottish football by their Champions League qualifying. Celtic qualified 4 out of 6 times between 2012-13 and 2017-18. But the standard of the rest of the teams (probably baring Aberdeen) has increased now compared to that time.

Next season Scotland are due to start the coefficient in 9th place, as high as it's ever been. Guaranteeing group stage football for three teams, including a non Old Firm team. Even in the early 2000s with Celtic reaching the UEFA Cup final and Rangers' Dutch imports, Scotland still floated around 9/10th in the coefficient. 

Having Celtic and Rangers miss out on Champions League, but still take in coefficient points via the Europa League, is probably what's best for the whole of Scottish football. As the millions that Celtic could have previously had, and Rangers this season, would drive an even bigger gap between them and the rest.

Whats more important is that on Thursday, Aberdeen, Hibs and St Johnstone all have a good chance of advancing in their respective competitions, gaining more resources to compete, and being able to hold onto their best players.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Rangers hardly played great opposition in their Europa League run in though when comparing to losing to Malmo, Malmo lost out on Europa League qualification last time to Granada who were eventually beaten quarter finalists to Man Utd and notably knocked out Napoli.

I don't think the outcome of Rangers being in the Champions League will be much different to Malmo.

• Administrator

Final play-off round underway tomorrow. 1st legs this week, 2nd legs next week. 

RB Salzburg vs Brondby (17/25 Aug)
Young Boys vs Ferencvaros (18/24 Aug)
Malmo vs Ludogorets (18/24 Aug)
Sheriff Tiraspol vs Dinamo Zagreb (17/25 Aug)

Monaco vs Shakhtar Donetsk (17/25 Aug)
Benfica vs PSV (18/24 Aug)

Winners go in to CL group stage
Losers go in to EL Group stage. 

Benfica have a comfortable 2-0 lead at half-time, thanks to Weigl's close range effort as it looked like another assist by Yaremchuk. PSV have had most of the possession, but Benfica have been much more clinical in attack.

Benfica game looked shit so watched the young boys game. Was good from what I saw of it. I think getting rid of the away goals rule helps because teams arent so worried about conceding an away goal 

• Administrator

Benfica hold PSV despite having 10 men. Great effort.

Benfica & Young Boys in to the CL. Ludogorets/Malmo still playing. Malmo leading 3-2 on aggregate.

Benfica manage to hold PSV to a 0-0 draw at full-time and advance to the group stage of the Champions League. Young Boys of Switzerland also advance after defeating Ferencvaros 2-3 away from home. While Ludogorets of Bulgaria beat Malmo 2-1, but it was not enough to see them advance, as Malmo go through to the Champions League proper.

PSV looked quite clueless about how to break down Benfica's ten men, who were happy just sitting back in a 5-3-1. 

Ibrahim Sangare looked class, however. He was the only guy who really managed to thread any passes through that caused Benfica some trouble. 

Sheriff Tiraspol draw 0-0 with Dinamo Zagreb and advance 3-0 on aggregate to become the first Moldovan team in history to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League. RB Salzburg knocked out Brondby with a 1-2 away win, while the Shakhtar Donetsk v Monaco match has gone into extra time, as Monaco lead 1-2 on the night after Shakhtar won the first leg 0-1.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived