talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group C) Netherlands 2-0 Austria - Thursday 17th June, 2021

football forum

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What's the Austria keeper complained about to get himself in the book? Seemed unnecessary as fuck tbh, not even close to being able to complain about an offside.

Went right up to the linesman and berated him. Deserved the booking. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Went right up to the linesman and berated him. Deserved the booking. 

The booking was well deserved, but it's also really pointless for players to pressure the officials these days. In the past, it could have made the officials change their decision at times. But these days with VAR and all the cameras, pressuring the officials is never going to achieve anything.

No disrespect to Austria but I hope Ukraine beat them.

Not sure if it's just this game but they look a poor watch, offered nothing and the scoreline quite frankly flatters them.

Their manager wants shooting. I read he was under fire before the tournament for being too conservative, well he's not helping his cause here.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Michael said:

The booking was well deserved, but it's also really pointless for players to pressure the officials these days. In the past, it could have made the officials change their decision at times. But these days with VAR and all the cameras, pressuring the officials is never going to achieve anything.

Old habits die hard :4_joy: 

What always annoys me is players raising their arms appealing for offside instead of defending. Does my head in xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

No disrespect to Austria but I hope Ukraine beat them. Honestly, they are a poor watch, offered nothing and the scoreline quite frankly flatters them.

Their manager wants shooting. I read he was under fire before the tournament for being too conservative, well he's not helping his cause here.

Yeah they call it Foda-Ball :4_joy: think some of the criticism is warranted; there's definitely more attacking potential in this generation of Austrian players... 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Old habits die hard :4_joy: 

What always annoys me is players raising their arms appealing for offside instead of defending. Does my head in xD

Yeah, that's so irritating. They should just back track to attempt to rescue the situation, rather than trying to influence the officials. It's lazy defending really. xD

I think that Austria have missed Arnautovic's class up front. Gregoritsch is not a top player, while Kalajdzic is still inexperienced at international level. For all his bad antics, Arnautovic remains Austria's best forward at this moment in time.

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

I think that Austria have missed Arnautovic's class up front. Gregoritsch is not a top player, while Kalajdzic is still inexperienced at international level. For all his bad antics, Arnautovic remains Austria's best forward at this moment in time.

For me Austrian midfield also looked way too slow today, little to none movement off the ball, in addition to lack of ideas upfront. 

Now they need to beat Ukraine to advance, Arnautovic will be back, so hopefully there's still a chance! 

Just now, nudge said:

For me Austrian midfield also looked way too slow today, little to none movement off the ball, in addition to lack of ideas upfront. 

Now they need to beat Ukraine to advance, Arnautovic will be back, so hopefully there's still a chance! 

Yeah, they will be boosted with Arnautovic's return against Ukraine. I hope that both sides don't settle for a draw(which would probably send them both through). I'd like to see both teams just go for the win, as that would make for a very entertaining game.:twothumbsup:

3 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Draw is so favourable for the Dutch they'll walk into the semi finals. Anything can happen at that point. No matter how often pundits keep saying Dutch aren't that good 

The Dutch are a good side, never mind the silly pundits who say otherwise. Just look at the quality players that they have in their team. The criticisms from the pundits has been about the formation that de Boer has deployed, but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. The Dutch have benefited from home advantage, we can't overlook that, but you can still see that they have many quality players. Wijnaldum, Frenkie de Jong, Dumfries, Weghorst, de Ligt, Depay .. the list of quality players that they have goes on. :91_thumbsup:

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, they will be boosted with Arnautovic's return against Ukraine. I hope that both sides don't settle for a draw(which would probably send them both through). I'd like to see both teams just go for the win, as that would make for a very entertaining game.:twothumbsup:

Yeah, hope for an attacking approach by both teams! 

Would love to see Arnautovic and Kalajdzic starting upfront, with Baumgartner just behind them, and then a Grillitsch-Sabitzer-Schlager midfield, with four at the back. No Ulmer, no Laimer. Both slow up the play drastically, imo.

25 minutes ago, Michael said:

Good long range effort from Alaba goes just wide.

Their best chance, from the player who probably has most to offer going forward, but he still plays him as a CB. Bit baffling to me. I'd play Alaba more offensively. 

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

Wijnaldum got the better of Alaba there, the Dutchman is such a complete midfielder. He and Dumfries have really impressed in the first two matches.

I'm going to miss Gini a lot tbh. When he's at his best, he's brilliant.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Their best chance, from the player who probably has most to offer going forward, but he still plays him as a CB. Bit baffling to me. I'd play Alaba more offensively. 

And plays a slow 35 year old in LB/LWB instead :dam:It's not as if they lack decent CBs, either. Hinteregger, Dragovic, Lienhart, Posch.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm going to miss Gini a lot tbh. When he's at his best, he's brilliant.

He's been superb in this competition so far, he's such an impressive midfielder. He's a key player in this Dutch side.

• The title was changed to (Group C) Netherlands 2-0 Austria - Thursday 17th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived