talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group C) Netherlands 2-0 Austria - Thursday 17th June, 2021

football forum

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Their best chance, from the player who probably has most to offer going forward, but he still plays him as a CB. Bit baffling to me. I'd play Alaba more offensively. 

Even if you want to play him in a back 3, if you at least play him on the left he can go forward more easily than from the middle. 

That's what Scotland does with Tierney, and it works fairly well. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumfries is very impressive.

Infact, I'd say Dumfries RB, along with Spinazzola LB, are the two big finds for me so far this tournament.

I knew literally nothing about both a week ago and a week later, they are two lovely little players putting themselves firmly in the shop window.

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

And plays a slow 35 year old in LB/LWB instead :dam:It's not as if they lack decent CBs, either. Hinteregger, Dragovic, Lienhart, Posch.

Yeah, only god and Foda know why Ulmer is in the starting 11. As you have stated, Austria are spoilt for choice in the centre back position, so Alaba could really have been used in several more offensive positions. 

19 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, hope for an attacking approach by both teams! 

Would love to see Arnautovic and Kalajdzic starting upfront, with Baumgartner just behind them, and then a Grillitsch-Sabitzer-Schlager midfield, with four at the back. No Ulmer, no Laimer. Both slow up the play drastically, imo.

I reckon Arnautovic would thrive alongside the big man Kalajdzic upfront, I think that their styles would complement each other. Yeah, that midfield with Baumgartner in the hole just behind the front two looks very impressive. Although I would personally prefer a fit Laimer over Grilitsch in midfield. I think Laimer hasn't fully recovered from his long term injury, hence his subpar performances at these Euros. But Austria certainly have the potential to play very well, given the players they have. Foda just needs to get his act together and get the team playing to their potential. 

De Jong is going to be on another level(if not already) in the next few years. Different class.

Himself and Pedri together are a joy to watch and have many years ahead of them. The near future for Barcelona looks much much brighter than people who only read/watch the media think. Alot of young talent who have what it takes to be among the best in the world and will be growing as players together. 

Dumfries again the player making the difference, he reminds me of Cafu from the great Brazil team, Denzel is really one of the players that is profiting out of this 5 3 2 formation.     

We really need to be more clinical in front of goal when it really matters, the defence  looked much better with de Ligt, The midfield with Gini and de Jong looks world class though. 

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Dumfries is very impressive.

Infact, I'd say Dumfries RB, along with Spinazzola LB, are the two big finds for me so far this tournament.

I knew literally nothing about both a week ago and a week later, they are two lovely little players putting themselves firmly in the shop window.

Dumfries has been good with a few years but the fact PSV have not been in the Champions League he has gone under the radar. 

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

No disrespect to Austria but I hope Ukraine beat them.

Not sure if it's just this game but they look a poor watch, offered nothing and the scoreline quite frankly flatters them.

Their manager wants shooting. I read he was under fire before the tournament for being too conservative, well he's not helping his cause here.

Was alaba still in central defence again all game?

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Lucas said:

No disrespect to Austria but I hope Ukraine beat them.

Not sure if it's just this game but they look a poor watch, offered nothing and the scoreline quite frankly flatters them.

Their manager wants shooting. I read he was under fire before the tournament for being too conservative, well he's not helping his cause here.

Austria & Switzerland offer nothing to tournaments do they. Poland are no better either.

• The title was changed to (Group C) Netherlands 2-0 Austria - Thursday 17th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived