talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) England 0-0 Scotland - Friday 18th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be a feisty, slog of a game. I don't think we'll hammer them, they will raise their game and make it difficult for us.

It feels like the kind of game we'll be sat on a 1-0 lead for a while with a few nervy moments, before sealing it late on.

Just as long as we win though, I don't care. The fact they dislike us so much makes any win all the more satisfying.

I'd love to see Foden do the dentist chair celebration if he scores. That would be brilliant shithousary in honour of Gazza.

I think we will win this game relatively easily. The Scots will raise their game against us, but I think that we simply have too much quality in our team for them to get anything out of this game. The fact the match is being played at Wembley is an added advantage for us. I think we will probably win 2-0 or 3-0.

As usual after the win over Croatia, so many people seemed to be going over the top, claiming we are going to win the Euros. All I heard at the pub I watched the England v Croatia game at was the "It's coming home" song. I also heard it at the other pubs I went on to that day. We've been playing that song since bloody 1996 and we've won F all since 1966!! :ph34r:

I really think that some of us shouldn't get so carried away after one single narrow win at the Euros. Either way, I think the game against Scotland promises to be entertaining. We are the better side, but they will give it their all, so it should be good to watch. :twothumbsup:

Time for Steve Clarke to show us why he picks all of his old favourite grafters all the time.

If there’s ever a game where the experience of the likes of O’Donnell and McGregor should be of any use, you’d think it’s the likes of these. 

These games generally end up closer than everyone thinks. Look on paper England should steamroller Scotland but football matches aren't won on paper and often lesser teams raise their games. Look at Wales as an example of a team that raise their levels to beat or at least compete with teams far better. 

I'm going to go with a 2-1 England win, two nil lead at half time with a nervy finish. 

I have a soft spot for Scotland, I like their battling spirit, but this Scottish side really has nothing on England. Wales for example have a much stronger team. Scotland are probably on a par with Northern Ireland right now in terms of their strength. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland leave these Euros without gaining a single point. I hope I am wrong though. McTominay and Robertson are my two favourite Scottish players, maybe they can do something to inspire this Scottish side. But personally, I can't see Scotland shocking England or Croatia. Good luck to them all the same.

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

I have a soft spot for Scotland, I like their battling spirit, but this Scottish side really has nothing on England. Wales for example have a much stronger team. Scotland are probably on a par with Northern Ireland right now in terms of their strength. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland leave these Euros without gaining a single point. I hope I am wrong though. McTominay and Robertson are my two favourite Scottish players, maybe they can do something to inspire this Scottish side. But personally, I can't see Scotland shocking England or Croatia. Good luck to them all the same.

Northern Ireland haven't got anyone near the ability of Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney. I'd also throw Scott Mctomminey in the mix there as well. Scotland's biggest issue is their superstars are defenders who can't really influence the game in the way that a Bale or Ramsey can for Wales. Wales have game changers upfield and that's the biggest issue for Scotland. 

Northern Ireland on the other hand have Jonny Evans and pretty much a full team of Championship to League one standard players, what they have achieved over the last 6 years has been nothing short of a miracle. 

10 minutes ago, Devil said:

Northern Ireland haven't got anyone near the ability of Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney. I'd also throw Scott Mctomminey in the mix there as well. Scotland's biggest issue is their superstars are defenders who can't really influence the game in the way that a Bale or Ramsey can for Wales. Wales have game changers upfield and that's the biggest issue for Scotland. 

Northern Ireland on the other hand have Jonny Evans and pretty much a full team of Championship to League one standard players, what they have achieved over the last 6 years has been nothing short of a miracle. 

Evans is a class act on his day, I'd put him up there with some of the best, as he is an excellent defender for Northern Ireland. I still don't think there's a big difference between Northern Ireland and this Scottish national team, if they were to play tomorrow, the match would probably be a draw. Evans, Dallas, McNair and Cathcart are at a similar level to the Scottish defenders that would play in the first team. Boyce is a star player in the Scottish league and Lafferty was also a star in Scotland and has always been influential, I'd probably take either of them ahead of Dykes. Scotland's midfield is likely better than Northern Ireland's, but I don't think that there is much in it.

By the way, Andrew Robertson and Kieran Tierney hardly ever play in the first team together, because they obviously play in the same position. Which is a shame, as they are indeed two talented players.

I think Scotland’s squad is ok in terms of overall talent-levels but in terms of where that talent is allocated, it’s just not made for tournament football. 

At tournaments, when you’ve got a very low level of tactical preparedness and very few games to make an impact, things are pretty much decided in the boxes. Strikers and goalies rule the day, and it just so happens that those are our two biggest weaknesses. The CB situation is also meh. 

Meanwhile we have two world-class left backs who would walk into any team in the world. But left backs aren’t players who are really in a position to decide games. 

We’ve also got a pretty nice midfield with McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, and Armstrong all playing at a really high level for their clubs. But again, midfielders are limited by what’s in front and behind them. 

The issue with Clarke is that he plays to our weaknesses, and insists on playing a back 3 and 2 up front when we already have very few good options in those positions. 

If we played 

Marshall

Patterson-Hanley-Tierney-Robertson

McTominay-McGinn

Christie-Gilmour-Armstrong

Adams 

That would be decent I think, but Clarke would shit himself at the thought of it. 

7 minutes ago, Michael said:

Evans is a class act on his day, I'd put him up there with some of the best, as he is an excellent defender for Northern Ireland. I still don't think there's a big difference between Northern Ireland and this Scottish national team, if they were to play tomorrow, the match would probably be a draw. Evans, Dallas, McNair and Cathcart are at a similar level to the Scottish defenders that would play in the first team. Boyce is a star player in the Scottish league and Lafferty was also a star in Scotland and has always been influential, I'd probably take either of them ahead of Dykes. Scotland's midfield is likely better than Northern Ireland's, but I don't think that there is much in it.

By the way, Andrew Robertson and Kieran Tierney hardly ever play in the first team together, because they obviously play in the same position. Which is a shame, as they are indeed two talented players.

Without looking back at the games where they've both been fit I'm pretty certain Clarke finds a way of fitting both into his starting eleven. 

I agree Northern Ireland would more than likely get a draw out of the game but I don't put that down to player abilities because I think Scotland have the better players, I think Northern Ireland have an amazing team spirit and will to win. 

• Subscriber

Expecting a 5-0 tonight. Should be an easy win.

I Went to a friends BBQ near Manchester for the last game, a bit more low key tonight… still only got half a voice. Full on lost it xD .

12 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

Just heard the Final maybe moved to Budapest and I agree with UEFA. Why should aaa final be played in a stadium which is going to be half empty when you can have it where its gonna be full house

Because we're England.

The only saving grace of playing plodders like Hendry and O'Donnell: we are upping the pressure on England to batter us convincingly. With the gulf in quality, anything less would be an embarrassment. 

Steve Clarke mind games masterclass. This is futból. 

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

I think Scotland’s squad is ok in terms of overall talent-levels but in terms of where that talent is allocated, it’s just not made for tournament football. 

At tournaments, when you’ve got a very low level of tactical preparedness and very few games to make an impact, things are pretty much decided in the boxes. Strikers and goalies rule the day, and it just so happens that those are our two biggest weaknesses. The CB situation is also meh. 

Meanwhile we have two world-class left backs who would walk into any team in the world. But left backs aren’t players who are really in a position to decide games. 

We’ve also got a pretty nice midfield with McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, and Armstrong all playing at a really high level for their clubs. But again, midfielders are limited by what’s in front and behind them. 

The issue with Clarke is that he plays to our weaknesses, and insists on playing a back 3 and 2 up front when we already have very few good options in those positions. 

If we played 

Marshall

McTominay-McGinn

Adams 

That would be decent I think, but Clarke would shit himself at the thought of it. 

GIlmour at CAM?

58 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

Just heard the Final maybe moved to Budapest and I agree with UEFA. Why should aaa final be played in a stadium which is going to be half empty when you can have it where its gonna be full house

So do I, the first thing I said when I seen the stadium full was why play in front of a half filled stadium when they can play in front of a packed house. 

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

If we played 

Marshall

McTominay-McGinn

Adams 

For all the clamour for Patterson, would it be worth throwing in a guy that's played five league games all season and hadn't played since April? He definitely should be considered the future of the right wing-back position for the national team, but he needs games more than anything. And unless he leaves Rangers, even on loan, it doesn't look like he would have the chance to.

Tierney has also been effective playing in a 3 man defence, allowing him to get forward and link up with Robertson. Shoving him into a back four, and stifling his forward runs, would be a waste of his talents. Not to mention his crossing ability. Although with a lone striker, whose 5ft 9in, it's probably not needed.

Swap McGinn and Gilmour around, and you'd have a point there. But McGinn is far better suited to playing further up the pitch.

19 minutes ago, Devil said:

So do I, the first thing I said when I seen the stadium full was why play in front of a half filled stadium when they can play in front of a packed house. 

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

It's not about the capacity and a full stadium for the cameras. It's about isolation periods travelling fans would have to comply with.

Didn't Budapest have full capacity by only allowing the vaccinated in?

31 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

For all the clamour for Patterson, would it be worth throwing in a guy that's played five league games all season and hadn't played since April? He definitely should be considered the future of the right wing-back position for the national team, but he needs games more than anything. And unless he leaves Rangers, even on loan, it doesn't look like he would have the chance to.

Tierney has also been effective playing in a 3 man defence, allowing him to get forward and link up with Robertson. Shoving him into a back four, and stifling his forward runs, would be a waste of his talents. Not to mention his crossing ability. Although with a lone striker, whose 5ft 9in, it's probably not needed.

Swap McGinn and Gilmour around, and you'd have a point there. But McGinn is far better suited to playing further up the pitch.

Can't be much worse than O'Donnell. Since we have basically no chance of doing anything in this tournament anyway, why not play the prospect over the guy who is never going to be any use again after this?

I agree that McGinn should be bursting ahead of Gilmour in possession but I was trying to show that defensively we would likely need him to fall in next to McTominay.

Scotland have to go for this, I think this game will be tougher than expected as they have a very combative midfield who will fancy themselves against Rice, Phillips and Mount. We’ll need our forwards to step up and sort this game out early if we want to make this easy for ourselves.

Just need to win

• The topic was unpinned

Archived