talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) England 0-0 Scotland - Friday 18th June, 2021

football forum

I’m not really that fussed that it’s Scotland tonight. Probably born out of how infrequently we play them altogether let alone competitively, it comes across as a far bigger game for Scotland than us, like a one sided rivalry. 

Think we should be beating them pretty comfortably but they’ll be up for it. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Can't be much worse than O'Donnell. Since we have basically no chance of doing anything in this tournament anyway, why not play the prospect over the guy who is never going to be any use again after this?

I agree that McGinn should be bursting ahead of Gilmoir in possession but I was trying to show that defensively we would likely need him to fall in next to McTominay.

Personally I'd have gotten Shaun Rooney involved with the squad in March. If we were picking on who is the Scottish right back in form, its almost inarguably him. But hindsight is 20/20 and O'Donnell had been solid enough for Scotland, at a time when that was lacking.

What we can't fall back into doing is picking players who aren't playing regularly, and the attraction of playing for Scotland could force them at club level to perhaps seek regular opportunities elsewhere. If we are looking towards the long term, that's something that could only help. Instead of returning to the days of Alan Hutton only playing for Scotland, when he just wasn't playing for his club.

The game against Czechia was far more damning for the defence when they were on the ball, rather than defending. Cooper and Hendry were such a downgrade from playing with McTominay and Tierney in those positions, and invited pressure back onto the team. Not helped with McTominay being the only midfielder comfortable with dropping deep looking for the ball, an exposure of what they miss without Ryan Jack in the team.

40 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

It's not about the capacity and a full stadium for the cameras. It's about isolation periods travelling fans would have to comply with.

Didn't Budapest have full capacity by only allowing the vaccinated in?

Why not do the same in the UK then? Given 80% of population is vaccinated

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

It's not quite that simple. I think around 80% of adults have had their first jab but it's more like 50% who have had their second and even among those there will be a significant number in that period where it takes a few weeks after the second jab to reach peak immunity. What makes it worse is that the Delta variant, which dodges one of the vaccines pretty well if you've only had the first jab, is rampant in the UK compared to other nations with less people at least partially vaccinated. That's why restrictions are still more cautious in the UK than the 80% headline figure would suggest.

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

The debates about vaccine passports and vaccine privileges are toxic in the UK. You could go full capacity with negative tests or vaccine though.

However problem will be with anywhere it is hosted these masses who travel without a ticket. As we've been seeing with some Scots travelling to London. Actually having the final somewhere people can't or won't go is a fantastic idea right now!

5 hours ago, montybhopa said:

Just heard the Final maybe moved to Budapest and I agree with UEFA. Why should aaa final be played in a stadium which is going to be half empty when you can have it where its gonna be full house

Because UEFA executives are upset that the UK does things like enforce quarantines during a global pandemic.

They want special treatment because they're a bunch of rich cunts.

• Subscriber

Scenes look like a lot of fun to be fair. I hope everyone who goes down there tonight has had a great day, has a great night, has a bit of a scrap if they want to and then everyone's mostly friends again tomorrow.

Football.

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

The only saving grace of playing plodders like Hendry and O'Donnell: we are upping the pressure on England to batter us convincingly. With the gulf in quality, anything less would be an embarrassment. 

Steve Clarke mind games masterclass. This is futból. 

I completely agree. I find it surprising that both Hendry and O'Donnell are starters for the Scotland national team. I can name several Scottish defenders that weren't even selected for the squad, that are better than both Hendry and O'Donnell. O'Donnell in particular has to be the worst right back at these Euros. England are really going to capitalise on the weaknesses of such players this evening. I would love for Scotland to prove me wrong, but I am sure England will win comfortably tonight. 

I've just seen the Scottish lineup, not too bad actually. Tierney starts in a 3 man defence next to McTominay and Hanley. Young Billy Gilmour starts in midfield alongside McGinn and McGregor. Robertson is at left-back with the out of his depth O'Donnell at right back. Clarke has opted Dykes and Che Adams as his strikers. I'm happy to see Tierney and Gilmour start, they are both very talented players. But I still think that England are going to win relatively comfortably.

17 minutes ago, Michael said:

I completely agree. I find it surprising that both Hendry and O'Donnell are starters for the Scotland national team. I can name several Scottish defenders that weren't even selected for the squad, that are better than both Hendry and O'Donnell. O'Donnell in particular has to be the worst right back at these Euros. England are really going to capitalise on the weaknesses of such players this evening. I would love for Scotland to prove me wrong, but I am sure England will win comfortably tonight. 

I think you give the talent Scotland has in defence, far too much credit. When it comes to centre back, it's all much of the same. I don't think anyone was too upset with the choices in the squad, as there's not much better out there.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

McCoist is one of the best commentators ever and I don't think anyone can change my mind about that

Anyone who even tries to gets banned. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived