talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) England 0-0 Scotland - Friday 18th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tottenham are often called Spursy, Everton often do stuff that only Everton would do too but why have we never coined a phrase for England being English? Thy was the archetypal England performance for the ages. A load of big names, some promise but ultimately no arsehole when it starts to matter. 

Roy Keane’s whole “don’t panic” spiel was bullshit. It wouldn’t have been panicking to make a sub or two at half time. For much of that first half the performance was tepid and dull. Southgate’s ultimately got it wrong. No plan b. No attempt at injecting some pace and directness into that side until far too late and playing Grealish out wide when he’s been most effective for club and country through the middle was poor. I’d have rated him if he changed the formation, even it didn’t come off but we got Grealish out wide and Rashford through the middle, despite Kane not getting any ball through the middle and unsurprisingly, Rashford didn’t either. 

At least two subs should have happened at half time. The Yorkshire Jack Rodwell should have been canned at half time, both fullbacks could have been taken off and it wouldn’t have been a problem, Mount and Sterling weren’t much better. 

That said, Steve Clarke has done a job on Southgate. That’s a proper underdog away from home performance. Dykes is pretty terrible but runs and runs and annoys and aggravates and that back five was immense. Fair play to them. 

• Administrator

Southgate is holding these players back so much. 

Kane was crap. The 3 attacking midfielders look nowhere near international level. They look stunted and its so frustrated as a fan knowing how good they can be but they're being so restricted. 

• Subscriber

2 matches in and I don't think England are living up to the hype of having a great group of players. They do have a talented bunch but is Southgate the man to get the best out of them? 

Poor performance. Ineffective game management. 

Is Jordan Henderson just there to make the tea or can he actually play? We need someone to get on the ball and get us moving. 

Found it odd we stuck with both Rice and Philips instead of taking 1 off to bring another attacking player on.

What the fuck did I do in a previous life to support two teams that absolutely shit the bed against their rivals? Fuck me. We were arguably shit against Croatia after a bright start and it was a carbon copy tonight, Stones hits the post, Mount goes close and then we just do the square root of fuck all for the other 80 minutes. The fact that Sterling managed to just dawdle his way through the game without being brought off genuinely made me question whether or not to launch the remote through my TV - shouldn't play again this tournament.

I actually wanted Southgate when the job was vacant and will be always grateful for that unforgettable World Cup but he needs to be seriously questioned tonight. Scotland, without sounding patronising are a team that you'd argue how many we'd put past as opposed to actually just beating them, tonight feels similar (if a tiny bit better) than the time we absolutely shit the bed against Iceland. We just seem to have a proper 90 minute shitshow in us regardless of who we have on the pitch or what tournament we're in. It's actually made me not that arsed about the rest of the competition as whether we win, lose or draw against the Czechs we're being absolutely pummelled by Germany, France or Portugal.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we play out a draw on Tuesday, both teams through and we avoid the big boys of group F. 

It's going to be cagey so I expect both teams to be happy with the draw. 

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

England always do better when expectation is low as fuck (like at the last world cup)

Bookies making us favourites probably cursed our national side.

Embarrassing performance though from these players. Ultimately, the blame lies with the manager who I think has always been tactically out of his depth at this level - but I think started to believe his hype after fluking his way to a semi final. But holy shit, that was abject.

Foden, Kane, Sterling - hang your fucking heads in shame. And that midfield, utter crap.

Could be tactical incompetence but this group might need another two years together.

Portugal play boring football for the most part but the team chemistry has been exceptional for maybe 6 years now. I think that's big in international footy.

No doubt England have a decent group of players here. Not sure if Kane gets another tournament in his prime though.

Still early in the tournament to talk about bottle jobs btw. Scotland deserve credit today.

• Subscriber

Against Croatia some on here said Kane struggled because it was too hot. What's the excuse tonight? Grass  not right length or the brand of soil not to his liking?

Mount looked the best of a bad bunch, some great passes during the game, not sure how anyone could pick him out on reflection of the game. Southgates insistence on Rice & Phillips, Kane in his Rooney post-2014 phase, Mings being a starter, Grealish slowing down the play and holding onto the ball for too long, the list goes on. 

Kane clearly has an issue, wouldn't be surprised if it comes out he's playing injured once it's all over. 

Sterling is a mystery to me, been terrible all year yet constantly in. 

No intensity. No press. Slow getting the ball forward. Zero threat in attack. Compare that to say Italy, it's literally chalk and cheese. No pressure at all from the front. These are basic requirements. If you don't work hard, you don't deserve the rewards.

Absolutely comfortable for Scotland that. They thoroughly deserved their point. Had they nicked it, could we really have begrudged them? Probably not.

What a clanger they made not starting Che Adams v the Czech's. He kept Mings and Stones honest all game. 

Southgate reacted too late to things.

I see Phillips is taking some stick on here tonight which does make me laugh. A defensive midfielder by trade, being asked to be the one that presses forward and make things happen when his natural game for his club is to sit in front of the defence playing those 'quater back' style passes. 

Did we need both him and Rice on? Probably not. If he'd have taken Phillips off, that would have been a positive move for Bellingham, but in turn, he could have took Rice off and dropped Phillips back who can hit a far better ball forward than Rice all day long anyway. Or is Rice exempt because all he does is play sideways?

Either way, Southgate got it wrong tonight.

Not sure how Sterling managed 90mins, he got to the byline once. Kane was poor and looked tired but also so isolated. The bloke had zero service. Rashford comes on and is put centrally when he's far better on the left coming in. The full backs had no impact on the game. Mason Mount, maybe because he's one of the names that escapes criticism, was poor tonight. Set piece delivery was awful? Even Foden, who started brightly just faded.

The beauty is we have a big squad and we should use it v the Czechs. I think its important we freshen things up. We could make 4 changes at least for that, Bellingham, Sancho and Grealish would be starters for me. Try to be more positive from the outset.

Maybe some of our boys could do with a week's rest and come back fresh for the last 16.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived