talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group F) Portugal 2-4 Germany - Saturday 19th June, 2021

football forum

Portugal's best back line is Cancelo - Pepe - Dias - Guerreiro. It's a shame Cancelo missed out on the Euros. Portugal might want to start the likes of Renato Sanches, Moutinho and Andre Silva in their next match, they can offer a lot to the team.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

This is why this tournament is better than CL.

Why is this the comparisons? It's an international tournament and a club tournament... 

There’s something very pleasing about that Gosens goal. Something about the pace at which the Germans spread it out to the right and whipped the ball in. Then the absolute chaos with like 4 runners attacking the same cross. 

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

The beginning of this Euro is showing how good Serie A is. This Gosens performance being the highlight of it.  

Italian football had a rough stretch, especially immediately after Calciopoli, but the level of coaching and the development of players have improved a lot. 

It's not the powerhouse of the 90s, but it's a competitive and strong league.  Clubs have learnt how to navigate the market with less money. 

Spanish clubs should take notes.

The thing is Ricardo, what are clubs in Spain supposed to do? They produce talent, find gems for cheap prices, turn them into stars and then Premier league clubs buy all their players season in season out. The exact same is happening now to Germany, who are producing talent but Premier league clubs are buying them all. The exact same will now happen to Italy mate.

There is no real future for any league in Europe outside of the Premier, which is now literally the NBA of football and no better than a European Super League in how it functions. The only difference is that one is based in one country,  while the other would be based in a continent. 13+ clubs are owned by foreigners, then you have the marketing, the branding of this whole "EPL" nonsense around the world, the TV deals, which nobody can compete with, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if clubs from the likes of Spain, Italy and Portugal end up creating a new league to compete with it sadly.

Maybe some big clubs will be fine from the leagues mentioned(especially PSG), if they are wise in how they do business and can emulate what Bayern are doing, but the leagues as a whole will not survive unfortunately mate. It will only get much worse too.

Anyway this was a brilliant game and has been a solid tournament so far. It's why I've always preferred watching it over the world Cup, which is largely underwhelming these days.

Hope this form continues or will it be a let down as in the World Cup 2018 after the Sweden heroics. 
defensively can’t lock things down When they have the lead is still a concern.

4:1 and a +2 goal differential is much better than the 4:2 and +1 gd we got

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The thing is Ricardo, what are clubs in Spain supposed to do? They produce talent, find gems for cheap prices, turn them into stars and then Premier league clubs buy all their players season in season out. The exact same is happening now to Germany, who are producing talent but Premier league clubs are buying them all. The exact same will now happen to Italy mate.

There is no real future for any league in Europe outside of the Premier, which is now literally the NBA of football and no better than a European Super League in how it functions. The only difference is that one is based in one country,  while the other would be based in a continent. 13+ clubs are owned by foreigners, then you have the marketing, the branding of this whole "EPL" nonsense around the world, the TV deals, which nobody can compete with, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if clubs from the likes of Spain, Italy and Portugal end up creating a new league to compete with it sadly.

Maybe some big clubs will be fine from the leagues mentioned(especially PSG), if they are wise in how they do business and can emulate what Bayern are doing, but the leagues as a whole will not survive unfortunately mate. It will only get much worse too.

Anyway this was a brilliant game and has been a solid tournament so far. It's why I've always preferred watching it over the world Cup, which is largely underwhelming these days.

Isn't this what Real did for years? Take the top players from other clubs.

Sets up a great rematch of last final France v Portugal 

Hungary v Germany also should be interesting based on how both teams came out today 

hungary gave Portugal a run up to the last 10 minutes and tasked France. Germany should not be too confident 

17 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Hope this form continues or will it be a let down as in the World Cup 2018 after the Sweden heroics. 
defensively can’t lock things down When they have the lead is still a concern.

4:1 and a +2 goal differential is much better than the 4:2 and +1 gd we got

Except that goal difference won't matter, it's head to hed that counts when teams are on the same points in the end And if Germany lost to Hungary they would probably fourth anyway..

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Except that goal difference won't matter, it's head to hed that counts when teams are on the same points in the end And if Germany lost to Hungary they would probably fourth anyway..

Well to decide who is the best third place teams to advance the. Gd will be a tiebreaker cuz a lot of teams will finish with 3pts

30 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

You´re right, Chris. The likes of Sevilla and Villareal have been doing really well considering their resources. 

I´m thinking about Real and Barcelona especially. Italian clubs adapted to a reality where they aren´t the richest clubs on earth anymore. The spanish big two will also need to learn to operate under tighter financial constraints. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

My family are Portuguese so this makes the England result a lot easier to take.

No doubt at some point I will have to watch Portugal bum us though

@MUFC

4 hours ago, El Profesor said:

The beginning of this Euro is showing how good Serie A is. This Gosens performance being the highlight of it.  

Italian football had a rough stretch, especially immediately after Calciopoli, but the level of coaching and the development of players have improved a lot. 

It's not the powerhouse of the 90s, but it's a competitive and strong league.  Clubs have learnt how to navigate the market with less money. 

Spanish clubs should take notes.

Or the Eredivisie considering Gosens played there most of his career before :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Still certain things I'm not over the moon with. Kimmich on the right with no one really to replace him if we want him through the middle. 
I'd love to see Goretzka start vs Hungary. 

Gosens, take a bow son.

What is Goretzkas status. Like to see him replace kroos. Think kroos was invisible in this game. 

as for gosens I think a lot of people knew he had it in him based on his club form. But it’s taken a while for him to display it internationally. 
hope he continues with this type of play

• The topic was unpinned

Archived