• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Houssem Aouar Linked With Arsenal Again

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • Subscriber

Seen a report today suggesting he's available for only £12mil. We've been linked and if that's the fee then I really wonder if there's a chance. It seems almost suspiciously low though. He was very highly rated at one point. How can they take money like that?

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Seen a report today suggesting he's available for only £12mil. We've been linked and if that's the fee then I really wonder if there's a chance. It seems almost suspiciously low though. He was very highly rated at one point. How can they take money like that?

Been following his situation for a couple years now and from what I gather he just isn't worth they hype. He isn't that good as a deep lying playmaker, and his end product as an attacking midfielder is pretty poor. He's also rumored to have an attitude issue. 

I'm sure @...Dan can expand more. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Been following his situation for a couple years now and from what I gather he just isn't worth they hype. He isn't that good as a deep lying playmaker, and his end product as an attacking midfielder is pretty poor. He's also rumored to have an attitude issue. 

I'm sure @...Dan can expand more. 

It's one thing not being as great as initially anticipated but £12mil seems ridiculously low. I can see us going for it actually. To replace the outgoing Tielemans who was very much in a similar boat at the time.

If it's true I think we'll sign him.

• Subscriber

image.png

That's a really decent profile. Don't know who else of you use this but it's a really decent tool. It bred a couple of reservations about Soumare when we signed him which have been proven to be correct.

I don’t know what he’s like but to me it’s clear Arsenal need someone else who can play on the wing. Smith-Rowe is good, as is Saka, but you need at least one winger grabbing 20+ goals a season on top of a 20+ goal striker if Arsenal are to catch the top 4 up.

Yeah Aouar really hasn't had a good season, but I still believe he has the talent to become a top player. Getting him for 12m would be a very good deal. I'd definitely take him at Arsenal. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Yeah Aouar really hasn't had a good season, but I still believe he has the talent to become a top player. Getting him for 12m would be a very good deal. I'd definitely take him at Arsenal. 

Kind of how I feel. I feel like it's low-ish risk yet very high reward. Worst case scenario we probably flog him in a year for a similar fee. Best case he becomes a top player.

As you're a French football follower, what did you think of Boubakary Soumare? He's been a huge disappointment for me. He's looked lost 80% of the time he's played. Not heard good things either from people in the know saying he's pretty lazy. Feels like a watered down Ndombele situation.

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

Kind of how I feel. I feel like it's low-ish risk yet very high reward. Worst case scenario we probably flog him in a year for a similar fee. Best case he becomes a top player.

As you're a French football follower, what did you think of Boubakary Soumare? He's been a huge disappointment for me. He's looked lost 80% of the time he's played. Not heard good things either from people in the know saying he's pretty lazy. Feels like a watered down Ndombele situation.

I don't think I've seen him play once since he's been at Leicester but yeah at Lille from what I saw he kind of showed glimpses of having big potential, he was very very good on his day but not consistently one of the best in the league, nothing on the level of Camavinga and Tchouameni. Going by what you say he probably could have done with another year in France. Any chance you loan him out next season? He wasn't a nailed on starter at Lille and I guess he hasn't started many at Leicester? A season back in France as a starter may be for the best for him and for Leicester.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, ...Dan said:

I don't think I've seen him play once since he's been at Leicester but yeah at Lille from what I saw he kind of showed glimpses of having big potential, he was very very good on his day but not consistently one of the best in the league, nothing on the level of Camavinga and Tchouameni. Going by what you say he probably could have done with another year in France. Any chance you loan him out next season? He wasn't a nailed on starter at Lille and I guess he hasn't started many at Leicester? A season back in France as a starter may be for the best for him and for Leicester.

I think it's quite plausible we loan him out next season. I think we possibly sell him which if we can get a decent fee I'd not be against either. Sometimes it's just the wrong fit. This appears to be the case with Soumare. Though interestingly how I note earlier up FBref gives a very good profile of Aouar, it didn't really with Soumare, it was distinctly average and it looked to me from an outsider like Sanches, Andre and Xeka all outperformed him.

He'd been spoken of as a high potential player for ages but he's been a huge disappointment. He can't get near our side anymore.

Archived