talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) - Czech Republic 0-1 England - Tuesday 22nd June, 2021

football forum

45 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Is anybody optimistic that England can win the the Euros?  I have been disappointed with how they have played in the group stages and have serious doubts they will win their next game.

Portugal only won 1 game in 90 minutes in euro 2016, against Wales in the semi finals. They drew against a load of shit.

Who needs to play well. Fudge your way to the finish!:ph34r:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Is anybody optimistic that England can win the the Euros?  I have been disappointed with how they have played in the group stages and have serious doubts they will win their next game.

I'm not that optimistic because there are better teams that look far more accomplished and organised and hungry than we do. 

But stranger things have happened. It's just nice to have a tournament back and just to watch football with mates and some beers. So I'm just enjoying it as much as possible with little expectation. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Not massively, but the stars have aligned somewhat. That Germany game is just massive for England. If we beat them, I think a lot of attitudes change. If we don't then we're seemingly stuck in this vicious cycle forever.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

Not massively, but the stars have aligned somewhat. That Germany game is just massive for England. If we beat them, I think a lot of attitudes change. If we don't then we're seemingly stuck in this vicious cycle forever.

The knockouts is what matters in the end. Many teams look under par in the groups then turn it on in the knockouts and vice versa, this is why France can't be underestimated especially, despite not being at their best in the group stage for their high standards.

England have never had a better chance to beat Germany in years either I'd say. They can turn it on still, like against Portugal but are there to be gotten at.

Still, I don't think England will win it and my money is on an Italy/Netherlands final.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The knockouts is what matters in the end. Many teams look under par in the groups then turn it on in the knockouts and vice versa, this is why France can't be underestimated especially, despite not being at their best in the group stage for their high standards.

England have never had a better chance to beat Germany in years either I'd say. They can turn it on still, like against Portugal but are there to be gotten at.

Still, I don't think England will win it and my money is on an Italy/Netherlands final.

Completely right and in a way, it's almost irrelevant how you got there. The facts are that England have a run of a relatively poor Germany at home, Ukraine or Sweden in Rome, likely the Netherlands at Wembley in a semi, to get to the final. That cannot be viewed as anything other than a real opportunity.

The only thing I will say though is that with France, and other sides that have underwhelmed in the groups, is that they have previous and proven they're capable of stepping it up a notch. England just simply haven't. I mean everything I just said but previous winners being dull shouldn't overshadow any of England's flaws - because they do exist. I think considering even what I've just said about that run in, we're going to have to really improve to actually go on this run. I don't think we really played well in the groups. Finland and Slovakia were the only teams to have fewer shots on target than England in the groups. We've been steady at the back but I can't help but feel that it's just because we almost seem to refuse to commit bodies forward. I think a Germany could really expose that.

It feels like a real sink or swim game for England. I mean tournament games by their very nature are, but this is something else. If England win this game, I'm quite confident they'll get to the final.

• Subscriber

I'm also a much bigger fan of the competition having a single host country. Part of the appeal is the festival atmosphere that consumes one country, knowing who the host country are, and stuff like that. Ironically this is probably the only way the tournament could have gone ahead this year even though Covid isn't the reason it was planned this way. It doesn't make a huge difference when you're watching on television but it also doesn't feel quite the same. If you're going to have a festival of football right across Europe then in my opinion, if they ever try this again they should visit more different countries and nobody should be playing with home advantage. Have the group containing Germany, Ukraine, Croatia and Scotland playing their six games across Spain and Portugal for example. I don't know, I prefer the one host format, or two if it's the smaller countries.

Archived