(Group D) - Czech Republic 0-1 England - Tuesday 22nd June, 2021

football forum

• Administrator

Pickford

Walker - Maguire - Stones - Shaw

Henderson

Sancho - Grealish - Foden - Sterling

Kane

I'd be happy with that but I can't see it happening in the slightest. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Pickford

Henderson

Sancho - Grealish - Foden

Kane

10 players? Me neither. 

If Kane doesn't perform well today, I would bench him for the next game.  He's either carrying an injury or he has a transfer on his mind.  Doesn't seem sharpe at all.  

Hopefully Grealish does start and Sancho gets a decent run in.

I think England will win easily and it'll be like the Croatia game. Cechs won't play like Scotland did, which was to fight for every first and second ball all around the pitch. Cechs will stand off more and let England play, this should suit England more.

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but trying to finish second in a group for a potentially easier ride is just such a losers mentality.

If you want to win an international tournament, you've got to be ready to go toe to toe with the big nations that have the expectation to progress. If a manager goes out and tries to get second, it sends a pretty shitty mental message to the players tbh - that they should be scared of good sides because they aren't good enough.

I know you don't agree with the idea that we should go out of our way to end up in second place and that you think we should try to go out and win every game... so I'm really making a point against a viewpoint that I don't think anyone's really arguing here xD

But I think with all of the question marks around Southgate's competence and the "quality" we've seen on display from this England side, I just would not be surprised if that Scotland game has made them all shit their pants a bit and think "maybe we do want to come second place in this group." And I think that's the exact wrong mentality for this squad of players to have...

...but I also think the display we saw against Scotland also demonstrated the exact sort of mentality we don't want the players to have either.

My expectations are really fucking low for this one - which is probably for the best, because it'll mean that it's unlikely Southgate can find a way to disappoint me here.

In euro 2016 Germany had the opportunity to win the group or finish second. They won the group which led to the bracket that included Italy Spain France and england.

had they finished second, that side of the bracket included Portugal Croatia Wales Swiss. 
which route would you rather take?

I understand that you want to have the winning mentality but at the same time you want to have a long deep tournament  cuz that’s how the team will be judged for success.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Pickford

Henderson

Sancho - Grealish - Foden - Sterling

Kane

Grealish on the right? Looks unbalanced between the attacking midfielders and Henderson. If you're going attacking and we don't have Mount then either Rice/Phillips plays DM and Henderson plays more advanced or Henderson plays deeper and Bellingham plays one of the attacking centre mid roles

• Subscriber

Sancho should at least get some minutes if he doesn't start. Bring him on if we're looking like we need an extra something which let's be honest, we've looked like that for the majority of the 180 minutes we've played so far. Annoying that Kane looks like he'll be starting as he's been non existent.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Grealish on the right? Looks unbalanced between the attacking midfielders and Henderson. If you're going attacking and we don't have Mount then either Rice/Phillips plays DM and Henderson plays more advanced or Henderson plays deeper and Bellingham plays one of the attacking centre mid roles

Yeah when I added Sterling I should have said I mean it to be a fluid formation. I think Foden and Sterling swapped around against Scotland a couple of times. So Grealish could go more towards the left and Sterling could even play as a secondary striker to Kane if needed. Or you have Sterling and Sancho both pushed further up with Kane and then Grealish and Foden as part of a 3-man midfield with Henderson. 

I really don’t understand how Chilwell & Mount have to Isolate, how the whole Scotland team doesn’t? They share a dressing room, bus and fucking hotel with the lad. Absolute joke. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

@Stan thinking Henderson is prime Makelele. 

I'm thinking 'fuck it let's win by scoring some goals'. Score one more than the opposition and the jobs a good'un :D

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

I really don’t understand how Chilwell & Mount have to Isolate, how the whole Scotland team doesn’t? They share a dressing room, bus and fucking hotel with the lad. Absolute joke. 

I mean, if we were going to actually do the medically logical thing, the entire Scottish and English teams would need to be isolating, I think. 

Close exposure to a contact makes you a contact as well. 

So if Gilmour is a confirmed case, and Mount, for example, is a confirmed contact, then everyone exposed to Mount is also a contact. The England team would be in that sense as exposed to Gilmour as the Scottish team. 

But instead of doing the medically rigorous thing, or doing the common sense thing, it seems they've settled on a bizarre halfway position.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Rick said:

This is what gets me. They both had negative tests as well and that was their justification for the entire Scotland team not having to isolate, so wtf.

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Chilwell isn't a miss but you'll feel Mount's absence against France/Germany. 

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah when I added Sterling I should have said I mean it to be a fluid formation. I think Foden and Sterling swapped around against Scotland a couple of times. So Grealish could go more towards the left and Sterling could even play as a secondary striker to Kane if needed. Or you have Sterling and Sancho both pushed further up with Kane and then Grealish and Foden as part of a 3-man midfield with Henderson. 

If you're playing Henderson it either needs to be a 2 man midfield or he needs to play ahead of a holding mid, so whatever happens either him/Bellingham or Phillips/Rice and then him. Personally:

Pickford

Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Phillips

Foden - Henderson

Sancho - Calvert-Lewin - Grealish

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Has Mings put a foot wrong? Why are people suddenly throwing Maguire in?

I think Southgate has confirmed he will be playing, along with Kane. 

1 hour ago, The Käiser said:

In euro 2016 Germany had the opportunity to win the group or finish second. They won the group which led to the bracket that included Italy Spain France and england.

had they finished second, that side of the bracket included Portugal Croatia Wales Swiss. 
which route would you rather take?

I understand that you want to have the winning mentality but at the same time you want to have a long deep tournament  cuz that’s how the team will be judged for success.

Idk tbh I've got no faith in England winning anything, at least anytime soon. I'd rather they'd have a good attitude about being able to take on anyone, rather than getting scared about playing Scotland though.

Archived