talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will You Use the “New” Football Index?

Not sure why this come into my mind today, maybe the Euros, maybe friendlies, fixtures and transfers starting to go through but I got thinking about Football Index and if/when it returns and whether I’d use it. I got lucky, I suppose, I never put in anything I didn’t mind losing and I got out with a small profit long before the thing went to shit.

Morally, it’s wrong to do so. If the same people are involved, which looks likely, do I really want to be associated with people who have, putting it very politely, lied to thousands of people, causing unimaginable pain and financial loss? No, obviously. The users as well. Don’t get me wrong, I feel sorry for people who’ve lost money and are suffering but the community itself was obnoxious and toxic. No one has time for that crap.

I’d need to look at the product and how they offer the initial product too. I won’t speculate about what they’ll offer as I’m not that smart but it would have to be “harder” than Football Index 1.0. Let’s be honest, it was too easy. Buy young cheap and buy the top ten and sit back and watch the dividends roll in. 

I do miss Football Index in some ways. Having something on a Friday night Ligue 1 game between Angers and Guingamp because you’ve got a left-back playing for Angers was fun. The finding players and undervalued and unheard of players was like Football Manager but with some spare change riding on it. 

• The title was changed to Will You Use the “New” Football Index?
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never used Football Index 1.0 - although I was interested in it... so I probably won't touch Football Index 2.0. I think they've damaged their credibility way too much to ever be trusted again, in fact... I'm sort of curious as to why they didn't try to completely rebrand to get away from their older identity which I think has probably been too tainted. I'm sure they've done surveys of former users and found that there's more money to be made with using the old name and branding... but I do find that surprising.

I do think their business model/marketing is a bit fucked up. Investment brokerage apps have already been accused of "gamifying" investing (although, I think I can make arguments about why that's bad and why it's good - and if you weigh the two arguments I'm not sure where I actually stand on it)... but I think Football Index does sort of the reverse... "investifying" gambling. I think that's part of why it appealed to me more than other types of gambling - but I'm glad I held off on ever participating tbh.

And there's an argument to be made that many investments are just bets placed with underlying research and rationale behind those bets being made... which is the same as when you "invest" in a player on Football Index. I'm not so sure the analogy holds up too well when you consider things like investment into a company equates to shares that are tied to voting rights, investment in property is tied to ownership of that property, etc... and when you buy an interest in a football player it's not like you get a vote on what the hell happens next in his career or anything like that.

I can definitely see it being fun and making you care about football matches you otherwise wouldn't care about. So in that sense, I think it's cool.

I just don't really trust the company at all.

Absolutely no chance and I can't imagine many people will. Concepts like this rely heavily on consumer trust and confidence. The gravity of the lies they've told for over a year as a company has destroyed any possibility of any start up in the alternative gambling industry will be successful for some time.

The fact they've been able to syphon £120,000,000+ of open bets to side projects which is effectively being used to support a restart is pretty disgusting. The Gambling Commission should be absolutely ashamed they've allowed any of this to happen.

23 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Absolutely no chance and I can't imagine many people will. Concepts like this rely heavily on consumer trust and confidence. The gravity of the lies they've told for over a year as a company has destroyed any possibility of any start up in the alternative gambling industry will be successful for some time.

The fact they've been able to syphon £120,000,000+ of open bets to side projects which is effectively being used to support a restart is pretty disgusting. The Gambling Commission should be absolutely ashamed they've allowed any of this to happen.

It’s a tainted company and a tainted product, what with this, Sportsack and another one (I can’t think of the name of it - the Premier League one) going under within what felt like weeks of each other. 

• 11 months later...

Archived