The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Wales 0-4 Denmark - Saturday 26th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Yeah but, why the Eriksen dig?

It’s not a dig at him, but the fact that everyone is reverting to it, like Denmark now have some right to progress no matter what because of what happened. The commentators constantly mentioning it is just wearing thin. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Regardless of the score-line, I think it was clear that Wales were outclassed by Denmark. Apart from a bright Welsh start, it was all Denmark for most of the match and the Danes deserve credit for this impressive performance.

After just finished watching the recording, this here is basically all that needs to be said really about our performance (piss poor) and Denmark (by far the better team). We simply imploded in the end. 

However, I will say three things that I thought was a joke. 

1. Moore's yellow. Sorry but how the fuck can it be a yellow when Moore is the only player trying to win the header and Kjaer just stands there and expects the elbow in the face? 

2. The 2nd goal shouldn't have stood as it was a foul on Moore for the start of the buildup to the goal. I know one or two have said it wasn't a foul, but I guarantee the same ones would say similar if it happened to them. Regardless, that was piss poor from Williams. Should have done much better. 

3. That is without question the softest red I've ever seen given by a ref. Fuck knows what he saw for that. 

It's a shame we went out this way as I honestly thought we did ok up to today. Got out of a tough group (for us) despite going to the arse end of Europe twice  and basically being the equivalent of the away team for three of the four games. Got a hard fought draw with Switzerland and beat Turkey before a 1-0 loss against an Italy team that swept passed Turkey and Switzerland with ease, then playing a Denmark side that more or less had the stadium's full support after no Wales fans could attend from the UK (apart from a handful that could). 

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Can’t wait for the Eriksen pity party to come to an end. This has a whiff of South Korea about it xD

Wow.

I mean yes, many people are on their side after the horrific thing they had to go through in their first match. They lost that first match after those circumstances and it looked like it might be all over for them, but they managed to regroup from that traumtic experience and fight on brilliantly. It's a great thing to see, and it feels very weird to call it a pity party in my opinion. 

Denmark winning it would be a victory for the sport/humankind IMO. If England (or Portugal) end up out then I'm fully behind the Danish.

Would be lovely (and I know I'm getting ahead of myself here) if Christian could somehow lift the trophy.

9 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Literally nobody gave 2 single fucks about Denmark before what happened to Eriksen. My apologies, but it just seems so disingenuous that everyone is rooting for them now. 

One of their players fucking died on the pitch, and was lucky to be resurrected. Imagine what the players went through emotionally seeing all of that happen to their teammate/friend. How can you not root for them at least a little bit? To overcome all that and play on like that, making it out of the group, and beating Wales 4:0. That's heroic IMO. 

• Administrator

I don't think it's disingenuous to have some well wishes for the team following the trauma they went through. It could just be to want something good to come out of a bad situation. Out of adversity comes opportunity etc.

Personally I wanted to Denmark to put on a good showing, even pre-tournament, because of Schmeichel. And if anything I want them to do even better now not just because of him but because of the challenges he (and Kjaer as well) have had to contend with. Probably all the other players as well. 

Any non-Dane hasn't totally switched allegiances from who they're supporting now (and that is still in the competition) to then be fully backing them to win the whole thing. I think people are just saying IF it did happen, and considering the rollercoaster they've had to endure with what happened, it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. I don't see the disingenuity. 

Wanted Denmark to win, not because of Eriksen, but because Wales jumped on the woke bandwagon with the bending the knee shite.

It will be interesting between the Danes and the Dutch (most likely to be them).

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Literally nobody gave 2 single fucks about Denmark before what happened to Eriksen. My apologies, but it just seems so disingenuous that everyone is rooting for them now. 

Certainly this isn't something new to you.

Kobe dies and everything hope the Lakers win the NBA Championship because of what it means to the organization. This has happened in every sport during times of tragedy, and we even saw it for Leicester after the horrific death of Vichai. Nicki Lauda passes and people online were going for Hamilton more than normal due to how close he was to the team and particularly to Hamilton himself.

The point? This isn't new and I'm not sure why it surprises you and appears to get under your skin?

Eriksen almost died, and those players saw and went through something 99% of us never will, yet went out there hours later and lost a match to Finland. Now they are coming back and people are cheering for them. It's not disingenuous at all, more like one of the great things about sports, that it is able to bring us all together, especially after a tragedy.

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nicki Lauda passes and people online were going for Hamilton more than normal due to how close he was to the team and particularly to Hamilton himself.

From my personal point of view - Niki Lauda is my 2nd favorite driver of all time, and I frankly didn't care one bit if Mercedes won after he passed away, and I definitely didn't root for Hamilton. 

That said, I understand why people would root for Denmark now; it's only human. On the other hand, I also fully understand what @DeadLinesmanis trying to say. Personally, I am also on the same page - I am happy and relieved that Eriksen survived, but I don't give a fuck if Denmark win or lose. 

• Subscriber

I understand if people aren't really arsed about Denmark doing well post-Eriksen scare. After all, if it's really true that "he survived and that's all that matters" then it should have no impact on your feelings towards their footballing success or failure.

I don't really understand though being remotely bothered by other people reveling a bit in their success. Like if you don't like it, fine, don't join in. But don't put other people down for enjoying it. Just ignore it. I mean, two weeks ago they saw their main talisman and more importantly one of their mates literally collapse probably dead in front of them and now they're dicking (admittedly poor to average) teams 4-1 and 4-0 to make the quarter finals of a major tournament. It's a feel good story. Beyond supporting your own nation, these international tournaments are nothing without those feel good stories, be it the host nation over performing to fuel the festival atmosphere, a team bouncing back from the sort of adversity this Denmark side suffered just two weeks ago, or a (ironically also Denmark) side rolling off the beach to win the whole shebang. I mean, if you're really more bothered about people getting "too carried away" with the Denmark hype than you are excited to get swept up in the feel good factor behind their progress, I do wonder how you actually manage to find joy at all in the ultimately meaningless outlet that is sport. It really isn't that hard to just enjoy the ride, it's weird how it's possible in football to be adjudged to enjoy something "too much".

The whole point of sport is to escape the misery of day to day life. Can't people just enjoy Denmark bouncing back from the shitty thing that happened to them in the opening game without being called disingenuous or generally being criticised? Life has been miserable enough for almost everyone recently. There's a mute button too if the predictable BBC/ITV love in goes a bit too far for your liking, I don't blame you for that. But there hasn't been much for a lot of people to enjoy over the past couple of years. If people want to enjoy this run from Denmark, just let them enjoy something without them having to apologise for not being arsed about Denmark when the tournament started.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I understand if people aren't really arsed about Denmark doing well post-Eriksen scare. After all, if it's really true that "he survived and that's all that matters" then it should have no impact on your feelings towards their footballing success or failure.

I don't really understand though being remotely bothered by other people reveling a bit in their success. Like if you don't like it, fine, don't join in. But don't put other people down for enjoying it. Just ignore it.

This.

53 minutes ago, nudge said:

That said, I understand why people would root for Denmark now; it's only human. On the other hand, I also fully understand what @DeadLinesmanis trying to say. Personally, I am also on the same page - I am happy and relieved that Eriksen survived, but I don't give a fuck if Denmark win or lose. 

Fair enough, and I'm not behind Denmark more than usual (Copenhagen is one of my favorite cities in the world), but I don't understand any hostility towards people or commentators who are behind Denmark because of what they had to go through.

I get no caring about Denmark.

I don't get being annoyed at those who are behind Denmark.

Folks. Where have I said I’m annoyed you’re rooting for them? I said I found it disingenuous which is a totally different ball park. If anything, people seem annoyed with me because I’ve not jumped on the bandwagon. I’ve not once said you’re in the wrong. I simply stated an opinion. Crack on though.

8 hours ago, ASF said:

Wanted Denmark to win, not because of Eriksen, but because Wales jumped on the woke bandwagon with the bending the knee shite.

It will be interesting between the Danes and the Dutch (most likely to be them).

Tbf, it's been the UK doing it in general than us jumping on the bandwagon. The clubs in the prem and EFL (including Cardiff and Swansea) have been doing it for the past year. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Folks. Where have I said I’m annoyed you’re rooting for them? I said I found it disingenuous which is a totally different ball park. If anything, people seem annoyed with me because I’ve not jumped on the bandwagon. I’ve not once said you’re in the wrong. I simply stated an opinion. Crack on though.

SUPPORT DENMARK OR FUCK OFF MATE. 

Basically. 

:ph34r:

• The topic was unpinned
7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't really understand though being remotely bothered by other people reveling a bit in their success. Like if you don't like it, fine, don't join in. But don't put other people down for enjoying it. Just ignore it. I mean, two weeks ago they saw their main talisman and more importantly one of their mates literally collapse probably dead in front of them and now they're dicking (admittedly poor to average) teams 4-1 and 4-0 to make the quarter finals of a major tournament. It's a feel good story. Beyond supporting your own nation, these international tournaments are nothing without those feel good stories, be it the host nation over performing to fuel the festival atmosphere, a team bouncing back from the sort of adversity this Denmark side suffered just two weeks ago, or a (ironically also Denmark) side rolling off the beach to win the whole shebang. I mean, if you're really more bothered about people getting "too carried away" with the Denmark hype than you are excited to get swept up in the feel good factor behind their progress, I do wonder how you actually manage to find joy at all in the ultimately meaningless outlet that is sport. It really isn't that hard to just enjoy the ride, it's weird how it's possible in football to be adjudged to enjoy something "too much".

The whole point of sport is to escape the misery of day to day life. Can't people just enjoy Denmark bouncing back from the shitty thing that happened to them in the opening game without being called disingenuous or generally being criticised? Life has been miserable enough for almost everyone recently. There's a mute button too if the predictable BBC/ITV love in goes a bit too far for your liking, I don't blame you for that. But there hasn't been much for a lot of people to enjoy over the past couple of years. If people want to enjoy this run from Denmark, just let them enjoy something without them having to apologise for not being arsed about Denmark when the tournament started.

Is your life that bad? :ph34r:

No, I actually agree with most of what you have just written. I think it's quite natural that many avid football supporters feel some kind of empathy and allegiance with Denmark after what happened. If many fans have a soft spot for them now(Yes, I am actually one of them), I don't see an issue with that at all. At the same time, I do get a bit irritated with some of the pundits/commentators who go on about it all the time.

Who knows how far the Danes will go in this competition? Anything could potentially happen with the side that they have. Christ, in the past they won this very competition without even properly qualifying for it. xD

16 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbf, it's been the UK doing it in general than us jumping on the bandwagon. The clubs in the prem and EFL (including Cardiff and Swansea) have been doing it for the past year. 

Still, no excuse to bring politics into football.

Archived