(Round of 16) - Italy (aet)2-1 Austria - Saturday 26th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austria came second in their group play Italy 

ukraine finished third play Sweden 

sometimes wonder how that works...

This should be an easy game for Italy. Would be surprised if it’s less than 2:0 final  

also how did they figure the venues? Some teams are zig zagging across the continent.  Even group winners. 

1 hour ago, The Käiser said:

Austria came second in their group play Italy 

ukraine finished third play Sweden 

sometimes wonder how that works...

This should be an easy game for Italy. Would be surprised if it’s less than 2:0 final  

also how did they figure the venues? Some teams are zig zagging across the continent.  Even group winners. 

Bare in mind Spain were the top seeded team supposed to win their group. Sweden earned the right to that Ukraine game by taking the top spot. It's just worked out better for Ukraine probably but that is what you get with these extended Euro's.

Let's be honest, third shouldn't qualify, end of story. The 16 team format was better and provided stronger fixtures.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Bare in mind Spain were the top seeded team supposed to win their group. Sweden earned the right to that Ukraine game by taking the top spot. It's just worked out better for Ukraine probably but that is what you get with these extended Euro's.

Let's be honest, third shouldn't qualify, end of story. The 16 team format was better and provided stronger fixtures.

I agree and I think it lets teams play the kinds of games where you know they could do better but because of this rule they can simply afford to sit back knowing they'll go through. Imagine if all the teams playing yesterday knew there were only two spots? It completely changes the way teams approach the tournament.

I'd love Austria to surprise Italy in this one, but Italy have a very impressive team, probably the best side they have had in years. Italy are very strong defensively and can attack with a lot of firepower as well. Austria will have a chance in this match, if they stick to the line-up they started with against Ukraine. However, it will really be an uphill task against a very strong Italian side. Italy are favourites and rightly so from what we have seen so far in this tournament.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'd love Austria to surprise Italy in this one, but Italy have a very impressive team, probably the best side they have had in years. Italy are very strong defensively and can attack with a lot of firepower as well. Austria will have a chance in this match, if they stick to the line-up they started with against Ukraine. However, it will really be an uphill task against a very strong Italian side. Italy are favourites and rightly so from what we have seen so far in this tournament.

As much as I'd love Austria to cause an upset here, it's very hard to believe, haha. I hope for a solid performance, and if they manage to put up a good fight, then Austrians will surely be happy with the performance of their team. 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

As much as I'd love Austria to cause an upset here, it's very hard to believe, haha. I hope for a solid performance, and if they manage to put up a good fight, then Austrians will surely be happy with the performance of their team. 

I think that although it's obviously going to be a difficult match for Austria, they have the players who can really have an impact in this game. Alaba, Sabitzer, Schlager, Laimer, Baumgartner, Arnautovic and maybe even Kalajdzic(If he can demonstrate his Stuttgart form.) are all very talented players who have the potential to cause the Italians a lot of problems. I do somewhat worry for Austria's defence though, as I don't really rate Dragovic. I think that he can be a liability in defence at times. Hinteregger will have to be on his A game, to ensure that Austria remain strong at the back. It is also worth pointing out that Italy will not be playing at home in Rome for the first time at these Euros. Wembley Stadium is the venue and so I think that this match might be closer than some people are predicting.

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that although it's obviously going to be a difficult match for Austria, they have the players who can really have an impact in this game. Alaba, Sabitzer, Schlager, Laimer, Baumgartner, Arnautovic and maybe even Kalajdzic(If he can demonstrate his Stuttgart form.) are all very talented players who have the potential to cause the Italians a lot of problems. I do somewhat worry for Austria's defence though, as I don't really rate Dragovic. I think that he can be a liability in defence at times. Hinteregger will have to be on his A game, to ensure that Austria remain strong at the back. It is also worth pointing out that Italy will not be playing at home in Rome for the first time at these Euros. Wembley Stadium is the venue and so I think that this match might be closer than some people are predicting.

I agree in general, but I'd say Dragovic has been surprisingly good in this tournament so far; better than Hinteregger, in my opinion. Hopefully Baumgartner recovers well and is fit to start, same with Arnautovic. If Foda plays the same or similar lineup like against Ukraine, it could be a close and entertaining match. Just hope they give Italy a run for their money.

21 hours ago, nudge said:

I agree in general, but I'd say Dragovic has been surprisingly good in this tournament so far; better than Hinteregger, in my opinion. Hopefully Baumgartner recovers well and is fit to start, same with Arnautovic. If Foda plays the same or similar lineup like against Ukraine, it could be a close and entertaining match. Just hope they give Italy a run for their money.

Italy’s defence + Austria’s lack of finishing (1:0 v Ukraine should have been more) will be part of the result

also Italy’s newfound offence + Austria’s shaky defence will be the other part

add those up: It’s Italy’s to win

Just thinking back to Austria v Nederlands game, Austria were doing well until the pk  

plus playing a different setup in that game than the one against Ukraine so......

Like an earlier poster said, if Austria shows fight and not roll over 3:0 or more, their fans will be happy. (First knockout game in decades!)

Though wish they were up against Sweden instead lol 

I believe that an important key to this game, is who wins the midfield battle? Austria's midfield is impressive and so is Italy's, so it will be interesting seeing the competition in that area of the field. There are injury concerns for Baumgartner and Hinteregger, although Austria will be hoping that they will both be fit enough to start. I think this game will be quite tight, although I expect Italy to have the majority of the possession. Italy pretty much qualified relatively easily from their group, after performing very well in their 3 matches held in Rome. Today's game, which is at Wembley, is a different challenge and this should definitely be Italy's hardest match yet in my opinion. I think that Italy's depth and experience will probably take them through, but I think it's far from a foregone conclusion.

Main discussion for Italy is whether to 'drop' Locatelli in favour of Verratti. Verratti has been one of Mancini's best performers throughout his time, and was Italy's best player against Wales in the last group match. But Locatelli had been Italy's standout player in their first two, exceptional, games.

Personally, I think Verratti could be the preferred starter. He is better than Locatelli in more advanced positions and, with Austria likely to be better defensively than Turkey or Switzerland, that extra quality is likely to be needed.

Chiellini is likely to miss out, but Acerbi should be a more than capable replacement.

Italy are going to benefit from playing in Group A, as they will have a much more expanded schedule than teams that only just qualified during the week. Hopefully be able to retain the high intensity from previous games.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Michael said:

There are injury concerns for Baumgartner and Hinteregger

Both are fit :) even Baumgartlinger is training with the team, could be an option for a few minutes if needed. 

Austria would be best throwing ten men behind the ball and using Arnautovic to hold the ball up. Utilise set pieces because this Italian defence don't let a lot slip by and I don't think the Austrians have the attack to break through them. 

I just don't see Austria having a decent chance to win this game. I wouldn't be upset if they did, but I just don't see this Italian team being broken exposed by this Austrian team.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Reckon this could be another 4-0 result in favour of Italy... 

I highly doubt it, this will be a close match up in my opinion, with Italy with the slight advantage. Italy's defence looks incredibly strong, I have to say and breaching it will be the main challenge for the Austrians. The Italians defend in numbers when they defend and they do it so well. So I think that the Austrians will have to be intelligent with their approach to the game. The midfield battle should be intriguing, I am looking forward to this one.

Watching Fuchs and Del Piero talk about this match, and both being so excited for this game to begin and talking not as ex-players, or even broadcasters, but knowledgeable fans, is so fantastic to see.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived