Crystal Palace Hire Patrick Vieira as New Manager

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well this is awkward.

On 23/06/2021 at 19:58, The Palace Fan said:

Lucien Favre has agreed terms.

I don't know how I'm going to hide this season long boner.

Don't think you'll need to hide anything any more mate.

I haven't slept since I found out the news at half two. I feel like we've been relegated. To have two managers who you never thought you could get pull out in the 11th hour is soul destroying.

I like the ambition Crystal Palace have shown with Favre and Nuno, but for the life of me I have no idea when we knew Roy Hodgson was leaving months ago we didn't plan for something then. This wing it approach with ten players out of contract is incredibly irresponsible and indicative of the "we'll worry about it then" approach that got us the eldest Premier League squad by some distance and now has us a team of about ten fit players.

Got to say, I am shocked by Palace this summer. It seemed like it was inevitably going to be Howe or Dyche that replaced Hodgson but they’ve gone a bit left field by their standards and gone after relatively successful names in Nuno and Favre and it was serious too, not like where West Ham get linked to a relatively big named striker every summer to only end up with some lad who scored 7 in 68 for Metz.

Where do they go now though? It seems quite a climb down back to the likes of Howe or Dyche but looking at the out of work managers out there, it’s not exactly a list with lots of big names or similar experience levels to Nuno and Favre. 

On 25/06/2021 at 07:39, The Palace Fan said:

I haven't slept since I found out the news at half two. I feel like we've been relegated. To have two managers who you never thought you could get pull out in the 11th hour is soul destroying.

I like the ambition Crystal Palace have shown with Favre and Nuno, but for the life of me I have no idea when we knew Roy Hodgson was leaving months ago we didn't plan for something then. This wing it approach with ten players out of contract is incredibly irresponsible and indicative of the "we'll worry about it then" approach that got us the eldest Premier League squad by some distance and now has us a team of about ten fit players.

Thing that get's me is why are talks going that far only for them to collapse so late?

Are the likes of Nuno/Favre being promised the opportunity to shape the squad how they like (given the possibly number of new players required) but when it comes down to it, the money isn't actually there?

It's very weird. But they need to move soon because we're virtually coming up to pre season already, i mean we got a bulk of the first team back in training this week.

Just now, Lucas said:

Thing that get's me is why are talks going that far only for them to collapse so late?

Are the likes of Nuno/Favre being promised the opportunity to shape the squad how they like (given the possibly number of new players required) but when it comes down to it, the money isn't actually there?

It's very weird. But they need to move soon because we're virtually coming up to pre season already, i mean we got a bulk of the first team back in training this week.

I imagine everything is being conducted on Zoom and the deal collapses when they have to drive through Croydon.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Turn To Patrick Vieira After Failing to Land Lucien Favre
14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You know how I said I'm not too concerned about who the new manager will be because there is about six or seven candidates all capable of keeping us up?

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one.

Yikes, hasn't he been a disaster wherever he's been???

This has a touch of the De Boer about it. Gone by October is my guess!

22 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yikes, hasn't he been a disaster wherever he's been???

This has a touch of the De Boer about it. Gone by October is my guess!

Yes, thankfully Steve Parish has a good track record of pulling the trigger if things are not working (Holloway to Pulis, Warnock to Pardew, Frank de Boer to Hodgson) and this does feel very De Boerish given he's a great Footballer with European flavour with limited managerial success.

The biggest shame for me is this summer has reaffirmed my concerns that Roy Hodgson has been holding together a project that's been destined to collapse because the hierarchy are of mid-table to low Championship standard. How many transfer windows do we sit here and think the Crystal Palace squad looks worse because they haven't made improvements where they needed? Its part of the reason why I was happy to settle for boring turgid football much to the bemusement of members like @Lucas and @Danny because I didnt want to know what colour the grass was on the other side in fear that my concerns may be correct.

The lack of long term planning from day one has just been absolutely baffling. Its led to us having this ridiculous contract situation where we have about ten fit players returning to training next week and we have the eldest squad in the league by some distance. Its been clear for months that Roy Hodgson and his backroom staff would leave and we've just had a wing it approach to the whole fiasco. I know we could be in a situation where we have a Nuno or a Favre and suddenly we're looking up but all we've done is alienate about six to seven realistic candidates and quite frankly got what we deserved. A Patrick Vieira. A manager that's sacking from Nice was long overdue and showed no intent to nous to improve on the work of Lucien Favre despite being left with a good squad.

I have been saying on this forum about five of six years that when we eventually go down we will be closer to doing what Sunderland, Hull, Huddersfield etc have done than being anywhere near the playoffs. You take out the players that wouldn't stay (Zaha, Guaita, Eze, Benteke, maybe Luca) and our boards inability to sign players a week before the deadline and it's a real bleak situation. 

This is a mental appointment - I didn’t think Lampard would be good for the job, but I think I’d take him without thinking over Vieira.

The Palace job is a hard job, I don’t think Hodgson gets enough credit for what he did with an aging squad and a tiny budget.

It’s made all the more difficult by hiring a bad manager, and at this point in his career Vieira looks like a pretty bad manager - despite being an absolutely brilliant player. It happens, but this is a tough job and I think it might be beyond him.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Hire Patrick Vieira as New Manager

I've been trying to convince myself that he will appeal to younger players and he will allow Dougie Freedman the opportunity to perform his role as a Director of Football properly. A big criticism of Roy Hodgson was that he was unable and seemingly unwilling to accommodate the likes of Alexander Sorloth, Max Meyer and Jairo Riedewald. There was a long period where Guiata was second choice behind Hennessey too which seems absolutely absurd now. The Ebere Eze playing left wing back decision was one of the final straws for me.

However the reality is the way it all ended at Nice was very uninspiring and he underperformed in his role. Our opening fixtures are as follows...

Chelsea away

Brentford home

West Ham away 

Tottenham home

Liverpool away

Brighton home

Leicester home

Arsenal away

Newcastle home

Man City away

A victory against Brentford or West Ham will be absolutely crucial for this regime to have any chance of being successful. If not we could find ourselves without a victory going in to our biggest game of the season against Brighton. A poor performance there and it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone by the Newcastle game in time for fixtures to perk for a new manager after the Man City game.

This does feel like Palace are going down, shell of a squad and a manager who couldn’t hack it in France.

With that said Thomas Frank was never particularly rated in Denmark and sometimes it takes the right club and circumstance to get the best out of someone, maybe this is that for Vieira.

• Subscriber

I think Palace are going to be honest and this appointment just seems like the latest in a string of failures to plan ahead. It catches up with you eventually and I feel like this is where that happens.

It is interesting but I am far from convinced by this.

Archived