talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Belgium 1-0 Portugal - Sunday 27th June, 2021

football forum

He's probably going to stick for Qatar next year but Ronaldo should just get his farewell friendly, get his record. He's won a major title with Portugal, ticked off some of the big teams in his scoring list. Decent enough.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pepe is an amazing player still at 38.

Shit game for 60 minutes. Better when we gave up defending altogether. Belgium got lucky to get away with a 1-0, one shot on target, one goal, but tbf we've had our share of luck since 2016.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

So this is what Bruno Fernandes is like when he's not taking penalties. Was absolute dogshit this whole tournament.

As a United fan I can tell you the guy needs a break, suits me they've gone out as he can go spend time on the beach now. 

Portugal have a major issue, they have so many selfish players, recycle play and get the ball in the box but it just seemed they were obsessed with being the hero. 

Felix and Fernandes especially with long range efforts. Get the ball to Ronaldo, don't bother with the long shots this lads proved it over and over, Felix should have made an effort to get it to Ronaldo at the end then. 

7 minutes ago, Machado said:

Pepe is an amazing player still at 38.

Shit game for 60 minutes. Better when we gave up defending altogether. Belgium got lucky to get away with a 1-0, one shot on target, one goal, but tbf we've had our share of luck since 2016.

I thought Portugal were a little unlucky in that 2nd half. Guerreiro hitting the post was a huge chance to level it. Dias also had a huge chance with his header, he should have done better really. Jota certainly should have done better with his chance as well. But Belgium held on in that 2nd half and their goal in the 1st half from Thorgan Hazard was a super strike. Congrats to Belgium and commiserations to the defending European Champions Portugal. :congrats:

13 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

He's probably going to stick for Qatar next year but Ronaldo should just get his farewell friendly, get his record. He's won a major title with Portugal, ticked off some of the big teams in his scoring list. Decent enough.

Ronaldo doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd settle for "decent". 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I thought Portugal were a little unlucky in that 2nd half. Guerreiro hitting the post was a huge chance to level it. Dias also had a huge chance with his header, he should have done better really. Jota certainly should have done better with his chance as well. But Belgium held on in that 2nd half and their goal in the 1st half from Thorgan Hazard was a super strike. Congrats to Belgium and commiserations to the defending European Champions Portugal. :congrats:

I can't stand Jota. Shit all tournament.

I'd rather lose 4-0 than go out like this. Belgium's only real chance was a long range effort and it went in ffs. We were far from playing well too. A lot of nothing chances for the stats. I've never seen such poor shooting from a supposedly world class side.

1 minute ago, McAzeem said:

This tournament seems a lot more open now. KOs have changed the tempo some favourites had about them

Yes, the teams aren't wasting time and playing the ball backwards or anything, like they were doing in some of the group games. All the teams have been very positive in this Round of 16.

Just now, Michael said:

Yes, the teams aren't wasting time and playing the ball backwards or anything, like they were doing in some of the group games. All the teams have been very positive in this Round of 16.

Beg to differ, until Belgium scored their goal both teams were mostly doing exactly that this match, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Machado said:

I can't stand Jota. Shit all tournament.

I'd rather lose 4-0 than go out like this. Belgium's only real chance was a long range effort and it went in ffs. We were far from playing well too. A lot of nothing chances for the stats. I've never seen such poor shooting from a supposedly world class side.

I would have started Andre Silva if I was the manager, he has to be one of the best forwards in the world right now.

I think Belgium have received some unfair criticism. People underestimate just how much of a loss De Bruyne going off for them was there.

Without him, they really struggled to string passes together and maintain possession. Not only that, he was also the main link to Lukaku gone so they were forced to go long to him a lot more.

Hopefully he is back for the Italy game. You want to see both teams at their strongest.

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Beg to differ, until Belgium scored their goal both teams were mostly doing exactly that this match, in my opinion.

I missed the first 30 minutes of this game, so you might be right. But for the majority of the match that I saw, I thought the play was quite positive. Obviously Belgium were pragmatic and defended in the 2nd half, but they countered when they could. Portugal though were as positive as they could be in that 2nd half, they just didn't seem to have the end product in this particular game.

Well, that was shite.

Extremely frustrating to lose like this. One shot on target, one goal. Patricio could and should have done much better there. The ball enters practically in the middle of the goal. I'm not having it that it was a tricky shot.

I thought we gave 45 minutes of advance to Belgium. We seemed to lack a bit of the intensity we saw in the game against France. Not going with the excuse they had 48h more to rest. We called 26 players to this tournament. FS should have used more of them.

It's a shame we're going out this early. Really thought we could have reached the semis, at least.

Rooting for Italy or a surprise nation to win it.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, ASF said:

Well, that was shite.

Extremely frustrating to lose like this. One shot on target, one goal. Patricio could and should have done much better there. The ball enters practically in the middle of the goal. I'm not having it that it was a tricky shot.

I thought we gave 45 minutes of advance to Belgium. We seemed to lack a bit of the intensity we saw in the game against France. Not going with the excuse they had 48h more to rest. We called 26 players to this tournament. FS should have used more of them.

It's a shame we're going out this early. Really thought we could have reached the semis, at least.

Rooting for Italy or a surprise nation to win it.

Felt like it was just me thinking this. That was a saveable shot. It was nowhere near the corner.

That shot had a little bit of English on it , it swerved both left than right and seemed to then go upwards.  It was also hit with a lot of force, I doubt Patricio would have been able to stop it if he did get his hand on it, it would have just deflected into the corner.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived