talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Belgium 1-0 Portugal - Sunday 27th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a game this is going to be, two fantastic attacking sides with aging defences. 

Who's world class attack is going to win this shoot out, I fancy Portugal, you can't fully judge them on the group games because those games could have gone either way. 

34°C in Seville that day. Could quickly turn into a slow game. In regular conditions it should be a 3-3 type of scoreline.

I hope we field the same line up as against France, but wouldn't mind Palhinha starting for Danilo.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

34°C in Seville that day. Could quickly turn into a slow game. In regular conditions it should be a 3-3 type of scoreline.

I hope we field the same line up as against France, but wouldn't mind Palhinha starting for Danilo.

I don't get why Sevilla was the choice in this tournament, it'd have made sense to play in Barcelona or Bilbao, where it's obviously still hot at this time of the year, but not as unbearable as playing in Sevilla.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Yeah, I have thought about this for a while, regarding the games being played in Seville during this tournament. The Spanish FA did well to choose Seville, when there were issues with hosting games in Bilbao. I am sure that Spain having their group games being played in Seville benefitted them, as the likes of Sweden, Poland and Slovakia, are not used to playing in type of hot conditions that Seville had to offer. I am sure that those teams would have preferred the cooler climate of Bilbao. 

Either way, you are correct, the heat of Seville will definitely influence the Belgium v Portugal match. They are two very good sides competing against each other, but I personally think that De Bruyne and Lukaku could make the difference in this game. I feel that Belgium will just edge this match and win it.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Wonder if we'll see more of Andre Silva.

As a starter, I think not. Maybe if we desperately need a goal late in the game.

We've been playing Jota - Ronaldo - Bernardo as a front trio.

Jota's decision making in all 3 games so far hasn't been the best, but himself and Felix (injured) are the only forwards who can rotate with Ronaldo from the left to the center and vice-versa. That dynamic in the attack has been essential for us for a while and Santos doesn't want to give that up to accommodate a positional striker like André Silva.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Machado said:

Jota's decision making in all 3 games so far hasn't been the best, but himself and Felix (injured) are the only forwards who can rotate with Ronaldo from the left to the center and vice-versa. That dynamic in the attack has been essential for us for a while and Santos doesn't want to give that up to accommodate a positional striker like André Silva.

I don't think giving that up is going to happen either but I'd like to Andre get a bit of a run in towards ends of games or in instances where you want a more directly approach. Is Felix looking like he'll be back anytime soon/

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, I have thought about this for a while, regarding the games being played in Seville during this tournament. The Spanish FA did well to choose Seville, when there were issues with hosting games in Bilbao. I am sure that Spain having their group games being played in Seville benefitted them, as the likes of Sweden, Poland and Slovakia, are not used to playing in type of hot conditions that Seville had to offer. I am sure that those teams would have preferred the cooler climate of Bilbao. 

Either way, you are correct, the heat of Seville will definitely influence the Belgium v Portugal match. They are two very good sides competing against each other, but I personally think that De Bruyne and Lukaku could make the difference in this game. I feel that Belgium will just edge this match and win it.

A lot will be down to Renato Sanches' performance. Yes, I think he's that important for us right now. Against France, he won the most duels and stole the most balls out of everyone in the pitch which are two crucial stats in this sort of close knock out games, where the midfield battle probably defines the winner.

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think giving that up is going to happen either but I'd like to Andre get a bit of a run in towards ends of games or in instances where you want a more directly approach. Is Felix looking like he'll be back anytime soon/

He's reportedly fully fit now and is training with the squad with no limitations. Don't think he should start given his poor form though.

I would like to see Palhinha starting. Obviously, Renato was a monster against France, but Palhinha entered the game very well and held up his own against Kante and Pogba.

Would like to see Dalot starting ahead of Semedo. Mind boggling decision to send Cancelo home, when we could have done with him what Spain did with Busquets.

I reckon 0-2 for us.

8 hours ago, ASF said:

I would like to see Palhinha starting. Obviously, Renato was a monster against France, but Palhinha entered the game very well and held up his own against Kante and Pogba.

Would like to see Dalot starting ahead of Semedo. Mind boggling decision to send Cancelo home, when we could have done with him what Spain did with Busquets.

I reckon 0-2 for us.

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN!

14 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN!

Here and there.

PS: I've missed you too.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Life's good when @ASF is knocking about 

Congrats on the FA Cup win mate. Well deserved. 

That Belgian defence wobbled all over the place against Denmark, you definitely can see Portugal exploiting that.

I just hope the likes of De Bruyne, Lukaku and Hazard have enough to counteract that.

Personal preference, I'd rather see Belgium progress. I'd like to see them v Italy next round, that could be a hell of a tie.

• The title was changed to (Round of 16) - Belgium 1-0 Portugal - Sunday 27th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived