The better place to talk football.

Your best years

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 33

I dunno when the best years of my life were xD

When I was a kid... there's a good case for that because I was relatively carefree, you don't have much as much responsibility, and you've got a lot of free time to do things that you thought were fun back when you were a kid. So those years are a good contender.

When I was between 16-20 (bit of an arbitrary cutoff date tbh), there's a good case because my brain was a bit more developed and I'd discovered things like drugs and learned I could drink a lot and not suffer from hangovers. If partying very hard falls into what you'd consider living your best life... that's probably a decent era of Dr. Gonzo. But if you're not so into that stuff, probably not going to say that's the best era.

Other than that... I'd probably say the era I'm in now, which is again a pretty arbitrary cutoff date. mid-20s through present (or mid-30s). After spending all of my free time either studying or working for my graduate program in the US, I graduated... I got some good jobs, moved to a place I never thought I'd live but I think it's a brilliant place... and I actually own property, which I think is still mental to this day xD. I met the woman I'd eventually marry. I think I hit what was probably my physical peak... granted a drink driver did his best to almost kill me and take that away from me, but I've managed to make an almost 100% complete physical recovery - (probably not a 100% mental recovery because I don't think I'll ever get on a motorbike again)... got to see Liverpool win the title for the first time in my life.

Yeah so probably these years I'm living right now are probably my best. Time's been kind to me so far - even after a few setbacks, can't complain with how things are now too much.

1 minute ago, Moon Monkey said:

Early 90s, young, decent music, plenty of good bars and clubs back then, United were on the rise 

Late 90s early 2000's for me, same really, loved getting out with the lads, loved the holidays and loved following United all over with the team of the time. 

Other than the period between 2007 and 2009 it's not been the same since. Some of the away days were just insane, great days. 

• Subscriber

Ignoring some things, I quite enjoyed most of it so far, to be honest...

If I had to choose, I'd say that 16-19 was definitely my first most favourite period of life. Still very young but not a child anymore, still carefree, whole life is ahead of you and the world is your oyster. Had a great bunch of friends, had a lot of fun, made a lot of great experiences. Plenty of free time, plenty of parties, plenty of trips, festivals & concerts, trying a lot of things for the first time.

Then 19-23 was the next one and also very similar - started uni, moved away, met loads of new people while still keeping most of the old friends, learned a lot of new stuff, expanded my horizons. Already adult and more or less independent, but still carefree, still a lot of fun, parties, trips, festivals, bars & pubs. 

Didn't particularly enjoy my mid to late 20s for various reasons, but then my 30s have been pretty good so far... Older, but still healthy, fit, and much better off financially, so able to do the things I want to do, and, most importantly, know better what I want from life so it's easier to make choices. More freedom. The only downside is becoming more risk-averse and also more cynical, but I can live with that xD

18 minutes ago, Devil said:

Late 90s early 2000's for me, same really, loved getting out with the lads, loved the holidays and loved following United all over with the team of the time. 

Other than the period between 2007 and 2009 it's not been the same since. Some of the away days were just insane, great days. 

Even going to Manchester has changed through the years, loads of places now closed, Walkabout was decent for cheap accommodation,  good central location,  Trafford Bar closed now too?..... also, The Bookbinders, fuck me, the craic in there....:ph34r:

Good Times, time mores on, I'm more likely to be in Eastern Europe following NI now, but Manchester holds great memories,  great city, great people. 

17-19 were the best days, totally carefree but not a child so old enough to really enjoy life to the full. There are times that I miss those days, but life goes on. 

Without sounding all up my own arse, I kinda see the good in each phase of my life and try to live in the moment. I got married last year and had my daughter a month ago so whereas I loved those silly days of my youth I'd say I'm loving this stage and excited what is to come as I see her grow up.

18 minutes ago, Moon Monkey said:

Even going to Manchester has changed through the years, loads of places now closed, Walkabout was decent for cheap accommodation,  good central location,  Trafford Bar closed now too?..... also, The Bookbinders, fuck me, the craic in there....:ph34r:

Good Times, time mores on, I'm more likely to be in Eastern Europe following NI now, but Manchester holds great memories,  great city, great people. 

Walkabout the Australian bar? Did that double up as a hotel, being a Manc I wouldn't have known that, was barred from there 😂 sports bar down the road was pretty good for a game as well. 

Trafford bar? That's a metrolink stop are you thinking of The Trafford or the Tollgate, both massive match day pubs. The Trafford is my pub of choice to be fair, watched the Champions league final 2008 in there, what a night. 

Manchester is a good night out but its a lot different than back in the early 2000s and 90s. Its more relaxed and has better areas for the older range, the northern quarter is a really good night out to be fair. 

Best away days I've done in my lifetime, Ajax and Barcelona. Think it's pretty obvious why, the cities are amazing and the nightlife is brilliant. Las Ramblas with thousands of reds was special but the red light 😂 let's just say that trip was mental, our hotel was a hell hole and we were on a package trip so they upgraded us to a 5 star well away from the red light, was buzzing, top floor massive windows could see Amsterdam arena the lot amazing. That's pretty much all I remember, I remember the day in the red light, getting in a taxi, seeing the ground. 

Then I woke up in my mates room with him asking me if I was alright 😂

The next day was legendary though, how I got on the plane 7pm is amazing, I was carried into the airport. 

12 minutes ago, Devil said:

Walkabout the Australian bar? Did that double up as a hotel, being a Manc I wouldn't have known that, was barred from there 😂 sports bar down the road was pretty good for a game as well. 

Aye, it was also a Hotel, you accessed it via the steps headed down, to the right of the steps that took you up to the bar, also remember The Sports bar, had a few in there, usually went over to The Grapes to start the day, Vera Duckworths bar.

Trafford bar? That's a metrolink stop are you thinking of The Trafford or the Tollgate, both massive match day pubs. The Trafford is my pub of choice to be fair, watched the Champions league final 2008 in there, what a night. 

If you walked up Sir Matt Busby Way towards Cricket ground, when you got to the junction with Lou McCari's Chippy, it was on the corner opposite and diagonally...... we usually went to the Service Man's club pre match, at Trafford Bar metrolink,  just over the road, the guy who owned/ran The Tollgate was a Citeh fan from memory,  he actually sold our season tickets on a few occasions between our visits making a fiver mark up.....

Sam Platts, a Railway mans Club and the pub thon boy Pete Boyle sings at got a few visits....

Manchester is a good night out but its a lot different than back in the early 2000s and 90s. Its more relaxed and has better areas for the older range, the northern quarter is a really good night out to be fair. 

Yeah, that's were we would go now, a chilled vibe, more relaxed than Deansgate Locks.

Best away days I've done in my lifetime, Ajax and Barcelona. Think it's pretty obvious why, the cities are amazing and the nightlife is brilliant. Las Ramblas with thousands of reds was special but the red light 😂 let's just say that trip was mental, our hotel was a hell hole and we were on a package trip so they upgraded us to a 5 star well away from the red light, was buzzing, top floor massive windows could see Amsterdam arena the lot amazing. That's pretty much all I remember, I remember the day in the red light, getting in a taxi, seeing the ground. 

Then I woke up in my mates room with him asking me if I was alright 😂

The next day was legendary though, how I got on the plane 7pm is amazing, I was carried into the airport. 

Sounds Brilliant xD

35 minutes ago, Moon Monkey said:

Aye, it was also a Hotel, you accessed it via the steps headed down, to the right of the steps that took you up to the bar, also remember The Sports bar, had a few in there, usually went over to The Grapes to start the day, Vera Duckworths bar.

Never been in the Grapes but yeah know it was Liz Dawn's. 

If you walked up Sir Matt Busby Way towards Cricket ground, when you got to the junction with Lou McCari's Chippy, it was on the corner opposite and diagonally...... we usually went to the Service Man's club pre match, at Trafford Bar metrolink,  just over the road, the guy who owned/ran The Tollgate was a Citeh fan from memory,  he actually sold our season tickets on a few occasions between our visits making a fiver mark up.....

Yeah it's the Trafford Pub, great pre match experience. 

Sam Platts, a Railway mans Club and the pub thon boy Pete Boyle sings at got a few visits....

Sam platts was great and the Railway was the where my uncle used to go, spent a few pre matches in there. 

Yeah, that's were we would go now, a chilled vibe, more relaxed than Deansgate Locks.

Sounds Brilliant xD

Was mate, got so many amazing stories, so sad it's all over for me and my mates. 

31 minutes ago, nudge said:

You're not even 40 yet, ffs xD 

@nudge I was a season ticket holder for as long as I remember and I gave thst up because my dad had decided to retire from going to the games.

My support was through him, I love the sport but my dad was the reason I went every week and once he said he'd had enough I didn't only lose interest in going to the home games I slowly lost interest in the aways. Mainly due to all my mates settling down. 

Great memories, hopefully more to come but I have bigger priorities in life now. 

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Devil said:

@nudge I was a season ticket holder for as long as I remember and I gave thst up because my dad had decided to retire from going to the games.

My support was through him, I love the sport but my dad was the reason I went every week and once he said he'd had enough I didn't only lose interest in going to the home games I slowly lost interest in the aways. Mainly due to all my mates settling down. 

Great memories, hopefully more to come but I have bigger priorities in life now. 

Fair enough, your post made it sound like your life was over or something xD 

• Subscriber

Must be when I joined the army in 1972 just for the excitement and experience of tours of duty in NI, met the wife in the army and we married and over a period of 4 years the wife gave me what we both wanted, a boy & girl who have given us 3 lovely grandsons now at 72 years old our life is complete and hopefully we can still be around to see them get married and have the experience of being grandparents. 

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

One thing I realized after reaching the age of 30 is that if I go to the bed too late, the day after is a complete disaster, no matter how much I sleep.

I definitely get tired way earlier than I used to...

... but it's nothing that ungodly amounts of coffee can't fix the next day.

I enjoyed my childhood. There were some real bad moments between my parents in that period though, that will always linger with me.

2011-15 was great. Had great time with friends, did well in studies, travelled a lot. Extended families are more important here so time spent with cousins is also very memorable. Most family now has moved elsewhere, some passed away & some just have lost contact. Really cherished days. 

Right now some other issues and this corona has really altered the plans I had for next 3-4 years. I feel like I'm not there where I imagined but most people in this age think like that. Overall I'm happy. 

30s and 40s are ahead. And I really think this is actually your prime where you have more maturity ( I was so stupid even 2 years ago ) and still are/can/should be physically fit. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would probably say the happiest time in my life (24 y.o.) was from about 17-20. So, last year of high school into first few years of uni. 

Came out of my shell socially, and grew taller and thinned-out a little. Discovered beer and the joys of a friend having a free house for the weekend, and was able to make at least some headway with girls before high school ended.

Uni was fun and exciting. I didn't make many new friends and mostly stuck to my existing circle, but there was music to get involved with and life was much more interesting. In third year I went to go live in Denmark for a year, and that's when I felt properly grown-up for the first time. Being properly alone in a new country, managed to make some new and very close friends, massively improved my language skills, and got the best grades of my uni life.

The 4th year of uni is when this period ended for me - that was pretty much a year of panic over getting my degree, along with the come-down of being back home after a year abroad.

Archived